Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Baseball Hire

vCash

New Baseball Hire

I went to Biloxi this week to watch the Dawgs play Southeastern, and I wanted to say how impressed I was with the coaching of Matt Riser who is one of the youngest coaches in NCAA. He has resurrected that program, it would be amazing to see him work with our facilities and brand recognition. I know he is young and probably not on our list but I think he should be at least a dark horse for the job. It wont be long until we are playing against him on a yearly basis.

vCash
    He's definitely a good coach. I agree, he's probably not going to make the list but I doubt the SEC teams are going to get him. I could see him at place like USM though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JETDAWG View Post
    I went to Biloxi this week to watch the Dawgs play Southeastern, and I wanted to say how impressed I was with the coaching of Matt Riser who is one of the youngest coaches in NCAA. He has resurrected that program, it would be amazing to see him work with our facilities and brand recognition. I know he is young and probably not on our list but I think he should be at least a dark horse for the job. It wont be long until we are playing against him on a yearly basis.
    Here's what I'll say. I'm more about fit than splash. Look at Moorhead. I haven't seen him coach a game yet. But let's be honest. He wasn't a splash hire. He was respected by a lot of people, but he's one of those guys that fits what we need based on what we've seen so far. I like the hire. It wasn't splashy, but so far I think it's been the right fit.

I want a fit. I don't want a brand name HC if they don't fit the vision or the culture. I want someone that's going to come in and exude MSU. I want everything about them to be MSU. Moorhead has done that. Vic has done that. Howland has done that. If the next HC is young and from a small program, I'm fine with that.

Cann in my opinion was a really good hire. He fit us. But you can't predict something like what happened. Everything was good, until that one thing set everything off. That doesn't make it a bad hire because you saw what he got out of last years team. But Cann wasn't on anyone's radar for us. And he was a good hire until he went off the deep end, which again, you can't predict.

As far as Riser goes, guy I coach with played there and Riser was his hitting coach. He said he's super intense and really liked him. Why would we not give him a look? Young, good coach, could fit our personality better, which is what I care about more than a name.

vCash
    Dan Heefner

vCash
    A native Cajun friend of mine has been saying he should be our next coach since the day Cann left. He thinks very highly of Riser.

vCash
    While some big names have inquired about our job I don't think anything is off the table. If Cohen feels like someone like Riser is the best for us I'm sure it will happen.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Here's what I'll say. I'm more about fit than splash. Look at Moorhead. I haven't seen him coach a game yet. But let's be honest. He wasn't a splash hire. He was respected by a lot of people, but he's one of those guys that fits what we need based on what we've seen so far. I like the hire. It wasn't splashy, but so far I think it's been the right fit.

I want a fit. I don't want a brand name HC if they don't fit the vision or the culture. I want someone that's going to come in and exude MSU. I want everything about them to be MSU. Moorhead has done that. Vic has done that. Howland has done that. If the next HC is young and from a small program, I'm fine with that.

Cann in my opinion was a really good hire. He fit us. But you can't predict something like what happened. Everything was good, until that one thing set everything off. That doesn't make it a bad hire because you saw what he got out of last years team. But Cann wasn't on anyone's radar for us. And he was a good hire until he went off the deep end, which again, you can't predict.

As far as Riser goes, guy I coach with played there and Riser was his hitting coach. He said he's super intense and really liked him. Why would we not give him a look? Young, good coach, could fit our personality better, which is what I care about more than a name.
    While I get what you're saying, we don't have to do that in baseball, though. We can succeed in many ways because of the commitment to our program.

I think the biggest "fit" needed is a guy who understands how to get the most talent to MSU, and the path of least resistance to do that. While going out and taking Corbin or Sully likely isn't possible, we certainly can get the next tier of guys, and we need one committed to recruiting the high 4 star types who get drafted late but won't sign.

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Dan Heefner
    Would be a home run
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    Just curious what kind of coach does people think we could arguably get. Will we pay enough to get someone from a big time program? Baseball coaches are not paid like football and basketball so does paying someone $750,000 to $1Mill get someone like OConnor from UVA or Heefner? Or do we get someone like Canny was which is someone Cohen has his eye on as an up and comer? I would think we could go get whatever assistant coach we wanted from wherever or a smaller school.

I would think we could poach almost any coach except from about the top 10-15 schools.

vCash
    no coach is leaving the Dallas area to coach in Mississippi
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Just curious what kind of coach does people think we could arguably get. Will we pay enough to get someone from a big time program? Baseball coaches are not paid like football and basketball so does paying someone $750,000 to $1Mill get someone like OConnor from UVA or Heefner? Or do we get someone like Canny was which is someone Cohen has his eye on as an up and comer? I would think we could go get whatever assistant coach we wanted from wherever or a smaller school.

I would think we could poach almost any coach except from about the top 10-15 schools.
    O'Conner makes 1.3 at Louisville

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    no coach is leaving the Dallas area to coach in Mississippi
    Didn’t Howland leave California to come to Mississippi?

vCash
    O’Connor coaches at Virginia

vCash
    It's going to be interesting to see if Cohen can get big name coaches to campus, much like JoMo has recruits. I think if you can get a coach here to see the facilities etc, you've got a chance to get them (assuming we're paying good money).

vCash
    Riser is a great dude and he’s gonna be a big time coach, but, at 33 years old he’s just not old enough or experienced enough to be our head coach.

Jay Artigues turned around SE and Riser just kind of kept it going. He’s good and will be really good for someone in time, but I think Cohen needs to go with a little more seasoning on this hire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see if Cohen can get big name coaches to campus, much like JoMo has recruits. I think if you can get a coach here to see the facilities etc, you've got a chance to get them (assuming we're paying good money).
    Can only do that assistants or the unemployed.

Current head coaches can’t afford to take the risk of visiting without a contract in hand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Can only do that assistants or the unemployed.

Current head coaches can’t afford to take the risk of visiting without a contract in hand.
    He's going to have permission from the AD at their school before talking to them. They can visit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    He's going to have permission from the AD at their school before talking to them. They can visit.
    the optics of it look bad to recruits. They wont do it

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    Cmon dude
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    Cmon dude
    what? That statement is factual