Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SE Louisiana baseball thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Jim says this will be our 6th straight loss to SE LA. Wow
    Yeah- we always seem to play them in weird situations or bad years. Not an excuse for losing but it seems like they get us at the right time every time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodaski View Post
    If our talent isn't very good, its for 2 reasons. 1) poor scouting evaluations or, 2) piss poor development. Either one falls on the staff.
    I think it's piss poor roster management and trying to take too many shortcuts. I do think it's definitely some of number two. It doesn't look like Cann did shit with our hitters in the offseason- which makes me understand why the players were pissed at him.

vCash
    This baseball season is as dead as Stephen Hawking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    1 freshman pitcher on the roster (Zane Stephens, hasn't pitched). 1 sophomore position player on the roster (Skelton) So yeah, we have some roster issues. Cohen really didn't leave Cann a whole lot. And most of Cann's recruiting is in these next 2 or 3 classes.
    This is a good example of what I'm talking about with roster mismanagement. Last year we had a class with some good pitching prospects and a good catching prospect- Self, Ashcraft, McQuary, and Skelton. This current class has some good position players but almost no freshmen pitchers. You can't build a championship club doing that.

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Henderson, I have really given you no crap, but it is a 6-run deficit... do not use weekend guys like France! Wtf!
    This whole game was a cluster by henderson
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    but by all means, let's not let Jordan Anderson swing the bat. Nevermind that he hit .400 in the scrimmages and has more upside than half our team.
    Exactly. It makes zero sense

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    This is a good example of what I'm talking about with roster mismanagement. Last year we had a class with some good pitching prospects and a good catching prospect- Self, Ashcraft, McQuary, and Skelton. This current class has some good position players but almost no freshmen pitchers. You can't build a championship club doing that.
    And after this year, we lose France, Blake Smith, Billingsley, Pilk, and probably Ethan Small. So that's 5 of our top 7 arms. I think we are looking at a 2 year rebuild here unless we get very lucky with the draft.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    We will make the tourney
    I seriously doubt it unless we have a SEC season like last year. We already have a few bad losses and this one tonight could be another. RPI is pretty volatile right now- but I think SELU's RPI yesterday was 153. Most of our OOC games are against SWAC teams, bad RPI Nicholls and Memphis, and then Troy and Ole Miss which won't offset our losses.

17 SEC wins may only get us a three seed. This schedule is just like Arkansas's the year they played a ton of SWAC teams, had a crappy RPI, and we actually ended up getting a better seed than them despite finishing a game below them in the standings and I think we lost the series to them head to head too.

vCash
    might need to do something drastic like move Stovall to C so we can get another bat in the lineup. We just aren't getting any production from the catcher position. Rowdey is a good second baseman. And then we can just roll with Mac and Vansau as corner outfielders and pray they get it going.
    I agree 100 percent. I said last weekend we should move Stovall to catcher and put rowdey westburg or Allen at 2nd

vCash
    And after this year, we lose France, Blake Smith, Billingsley, Pilk, and probably Ethan Small. So that's 5 of our top 7 arms. I think we are looking at a 2 year rebuild here unless we get very lucky with the draft.
    We'll see about Small. He'll still have leverage after this year and I don't think he's quite 100% yet. If he comes back after a good summer in the Cape he could be a potential high pick and make more money. Keegan James and Breaux should be 100% by next year and Ashcraft and Self for that matter too. Cole Gordon will be back and McQuary should be better too. We'll take some losses but we have some guys with upside coming back too.

We need Skelton and Gilbert to make strides next year. We have two good freshmen catchers coming in that could push them.

I could see us possibly losing Stovall and LA (I know get your shots in). If that happens we have Hatcher, Rowdey/Allen, Foscue and Westburg worst case scenario. Landon Jordan is a freshman that I think we get that could possibly get into the lineup next year that I like a lot.

Outfield next year could be Jordan Anderson who probably should be playing more and then either Allen or Rowdey if they're not at second. Hopefully we can get Bryce Bush in as a freshman. Vansau and MacNamee both will be back.

It's hard to project between the draft, the coaching change- which could make a HUGE difference in our player development, and everything else.

vCash
    Guess "we need to bench LA and replace him with Stovall to get a real bat in the lineup" has officially shifted to "We need to bench the catchers and replace them with Stovall so we can get a real bat in the lineup". Has Stovall even worked out as a C recently? His offseason focus was on winning the SS job and improving his hitting. He's probably rusty as hell at C and has 0 chemistry with the pitchers

Personally I see 0 reason to play Mac or Vansau over Jordan Anderson. I get it if he may have major growing pains, but he at least has a high ceiling. Leave the Cs alone and hope one of them improves, and make the lineup learn to take a pitch and work a pitcher. The last inning before a P gets pulled and he's out of gas is going to be our best chance to score; gotta be better at taking a pitch so we can get there
    Last edited by the_real_MSU_is_us; 03-14-2018 at 10:58 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Guess "we need to bench LA and replace him with Stovall to get a real bat in the lineup" has officially shifted to "We need to bench the catchers and replace them with Stovall so we can get a real bat in the lineup". Has Stovall even worked out as a C recently? His offseason focus was on winning the SS job and improving his hitting. He's probably rusty as hell at C and has 0 chemistry with the pitchers

Personally I see 0 reason to play Mac or Vansau over Jordan Anderson. I get it if he may have major growing pains, but he at least has a high ceiling. Leave the Cs alone and hope one of them improves, and make the lineup learn to take a pitch and work a pitcher. The last inning before a P gets pulled and he's out of gas is going to be our best chance to score; gotta be better at taking a pitch so we can get there
    I agree 100% about Anderson. Heck, I think I would continue to play Poole over Vansau and MacNamee too at least at this point. I'd keep Stovall at second too- we need all the defense we can get because there isn't an obvious major bat on the bench that we could stick at second.

C- Skelton
    1B- Hatcher
    2B- Stovall
    3B- Foscue
    SS- LA
    LF- Rowdey
    CF- Mangum
    RF- Jordan Anderson
    DH- Tanner Allen

That's our best lineup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Per our announcer, Mangum turns a single into a triple for them trying to make a diving catch. Single drives in run. 6-5 SELa.
    Yep he wasn't even close to catching it. It was a stupid try. Henderson should have called TO after that and called the team together cause it went downhill quickly after that. Two things I did notice is that our catcher was not in the same country with the pitchers and the SELA batters worked the count until they got a favorable pitch to hit. Our guys were just lost at the plate most of the night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    We'll see about Small. He'll still have leverage after this year and I don't think he's quite 100% yet. If he comes back after a good summer in the Cape he could be a potential high pick and make more money. Keegan James and Breaux should be 100% by next year and Ashcraft and Self for that matter too. Cole Gordon will be back and McQuary should be better too. We'll take some losses but we have some guys with upside coming back too.

We need Skelton and Gilbert to make strides next year. We have two good freshmen catchers coming in that could push them.

I could see us possibly losing Stovall and LA (I know get your shots in). If that happens we have Hatcher, Rowdey/Allen, Foscue and Westburg worst case scenario. Landon Jordan is a freshman that I think we get that could possibly get into the lineup next year that I like a lot.

Outfield next year could be Jordan Anderson who probably should be playing more and then either Allen or Rowdey if they're not at second. Hopefully we can get Bryce Bush in as a freshman. Vansau and MacNamee both will be back.

It's hard to project between the draft, the coaching change- which could make a HUGE difference in our player development, and everything else.
    Honestly though, that's a pretty sad list. Position wise you mention 5 Fr that I agree we can rely on next year, but then you list a Fr we've never seen and leave the C position at "hope someone emerges". So 4 spots that don't look good at all, and the other 5 are of young guys that have yet to really get it together.

Pitching wise I really disagree with you. Gordon and McQuary "should be better"? This was the offseason both were expected to make big strides forward, but both look pretty bad. James hasn't looked good, but I'll give you that he's injured. Breaux and Ashcraft have never done anything in their carers, and both had issues before injury. Really hard to count on guys like in the context of saying why our staff will be ok. Self is good, as is Price... but that leaves us with 1 starter (Small), 2 relievers (Self, Price), 3 guys who look like trash this year (Gordon, McQ, James), and 2 guys we've never seen much from. We're 2 starters and 4 relievers short of a weekened series. France would be our Saturday guy next year.

Next year's staff will be really bad. it just will. I'm not trying to be a downer, but there's a ton of holes in the lineup and the staff honestly won't even be average for the SEC. Hoops is right- next year will also be about getting young guys their playing time to prepare for '20. We won't be good

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    This baseball season is as dead as Stephen Hawking.
    Stop trolling the board over everything. Whatever pissed you off about the women's basketball team you need to get over it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Honestly though, that's a pretty sad list. Position wise you mention 5 Fr that I agree we can rely on next year, but then you list a Fr we've never seen and leave the C position at "hope someone emerges". So 4 spots that don't look good at all, and the other 5 are of young guys that have yet to really get it together.

Pitching wise I really disagree with you. Gordon and McQuary "should be better"? This was the offseason both were expected to make big strides forward, but both look pretty bad. James hasn't looked good, but I'll give you that he's injured. Breaux and Ashcraft have never done anything in their carers, and both had issues before injury. Really hard to count on guys like in the context of saying why our staff will be ok. Self is good, as is Price... but that leaves us with 1 starter (Small), 2 relievers (Self, Price), 3 guys who look like trash this year (Gordon, McQ, James), and 2 guys we've never seen much from. We're 2 starters and 4 relievers short of a weekened series. France would be our Saturday guy next year.

Next year's staff will be really bad. it just will. I'm not trying to be a downer, but there's a ton of holes in the lineup and the staff honestly won't even be average for the SEC. Hoops is right- next year will also be about getting young guys their playing time to prepare for '20. We won't be good
    I think it's fair to say that we all know the root of why our players didn't progress in the offseason- and that root is gone. This team and program desperately needs stability- but it won't get that until the offseason. Our juniors are on their third head coach and whoever our head coach is next year will be number four. Our pitchers that have been here three years have been under three pitching coaches- Butch in the fall of their freshman year, Wes Johnson, and now Henderson. We've also been through three hitting coaches with this group of players- Mingione, Coggin, and now Gautreau. Our guys that will be on the team next year will be on their fourth pitching and hitting coach in all likelihood as well.

Yes, Gordon and McQuary should be better next year- they will be in year three and are both just now starting to come to grips with the fact that they are pitchers and not hitters. Gordon had a bad night- but before tonight he had an ERA of 1.42 with 17 K's in 12 IP and only 2 hits allowed. McQuary looks much better- and if you don't agree with me- the players and Henderson mentioned that in a recent interview. I'm sure some of our pitchers will pan out and some will not- that's just how it goes.

Remember Stratton, Hudson, Rooker, and Renfroe all had "issues" before they became upperclassmen too. Most players that have talent tend to improve as their careers progress.