Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Here's a sobering stat I missed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Rocket, we don't play Vandy every year TSUN does Kentucky is our only permanent east opponent.

Yeah you're right but it seems like we do. Us and Ole Miss have the easiest East permanents.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Mullen raised our floor and that's about it. 2014 was really the only exception.
    2014 was a nice ride until we ran into the ditch against bama and UNM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    2014 was a nice ride until we ran into the ditch against bama and UNM.
    I think Bama did us in that year. If we'd beaten Alabama, we'd have beaten the Bears.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Dan had the advantage of many more bowls than Jackie had! You get 6 wins you get a bowl now.
    So many bowls, good grades and 5-7 got us in one bowl under Dan. There are what 150* bowls now. Heck, we stayed home one year with a 7-5 record under Jackie and I think UNM went to a bowl that year at 7-5.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    I think Bama did us in that year. If we'd beaten Alabama, we'd have beaten the Bears.
    Dan drew up that year as usual, we had a very late TD to make it look close, if my memory serves me correctly.

vCash
    1A/1B did us in that year. Our coaches were dumbasses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    1A/1B did us in that year. Our coaches were dumbasses.
    Not against Bama it didn't. 323 yds total O for Bama. Our offense basically handed them the first 19 points.

vCash
    Dan drew up that year as usual, we had a very late TD to make it look close, if my memory serves me correctly.
    I don't remember how the score played out, but every time they'd show Dan on the sideline he looked scared to death. Saban must've really intimidated him.

vCash
    JWS was sooooo much better then Dan. It did not matter who we played when JWS was coach. When I walked into that stadium I EXPECTED to win. Whether we did or not, the other team dreaded the hell out of playing us. Dan never gave us that. He did however get us back on track from the crooms disaster. Hopefully Coach Joe can raise the bar!!

vCash
    I don't remember how the score played out, but every time they'd show Dan on the sideline he looked scared to death. Saban must've really intimidated him.
    This was always my thing with Dan: he got nervous in big games and the players felt it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Not against Bama it didn't. 323 yds total O for Bama. Our offense basically handed them the first 19 points.
    Don't let facts get in the way.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SailingDawg View Post
    This was always my thing with Dan: he got nervous in big games and the players felt it.
    I wonder if that will carry over to Florida? I suppose it's a personality trait so it probably will. It'll be fun to see him with the deer-in-the-headlights look in about 6 months at DWS. Really, I don't hate Dan, but it'll be good to beat him. Hope we can.

vCash
    Guys, I liked Sherrill too but he was a .500 coach who got us on probation twice. His SEC records weren't any better than Dan's and his teams were way too boom or bust for my taste. For every #2 Florida win there was a ULL loss. Dan had one bad loss in 9 years.

I get that he left us and I'm annoyed that he pussed out and gave up and ran like a little bitch to Florida where he's going to get his ass run off after 4 years but he did a good job here. Give the man his due and let's start his firing from Florida by beating his team's ass in September.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadrupleOption View Post
    Guys, I liked Sherrill too but he was a .500 coach who got us on probation twice. His SEC records weren't any better than Dan's and his teams were way too boom or bust for my taste. For every #2 Florida win there was a ULL loss. Dan had one bad loss in 9 years.

I get that he left us and I'm annoyed that he pussed out and gave up and ran like a little bitch to Florida where he's going to get his ass run off after 4 years but he did a good job here. Give the man his due and let's start his firing from Florida by beating his team's ass in September.
    before the NCAA took its toll- Sherill was far from a .500 coach. Also was 7-4 vs OM before all that BS started. He wasnt as steady as Mullen- but fact remains he won the West and Mullen never did.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Taking Matt Wells out for the 1B player really hurt us in that game. Bama's punter killed us as well.

Big play was Dak missing the throw before the half. And Dan called a terrible first half, but part of that was due to the Bama punter.

vCash
    The problem was we put the 1B's on the field for the most critical drive of the game at the end instead of our 1A's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SailingDawg View Post
    Dan was cocky- but he wasn't confident.

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    Jackie is still the Kang in many ways: A. SEC West title - only SEC Title game I've attended B. More total wins C. Probably more quality wins (Usually more cupcakes scheduled in the 12 game seasons in recent years) C. Taught us we could win ( I know the last years were bad - thanks UNM & NCAA clouds over program) D. All Dawg - True Maroon. I would still make a donation for statue of him outside the stadium. JMO. I do think Jo will do a great job in all these areas. Hail State!
    Dan was better.

I love Jackie and what he did here but Dan played in a MUCH better SEC West than Jackie. Bama and Auburn were both mediocre. Also, LSU wasn't good either but Jackie still could never beat them. We won the west in 90' by going 5-3 in the SEC with a road loss to Kentucky. Jackie's run in the 90's would have been equivalent to Mullen being in the East while at State. We would have won the east probably 3 times under Dan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post
    Dan was better.

I love Jackie and what he did here but Dan played in a MUCH better SEC West than Jackie. Bama and Auburn were both mediocre. Also, LSU wasn't good either but Jackie still could never beat them. We won the west in 90' by going 5-3 in the SEC with a road loss to Kentucky. Jackie's run in the 90's would have been equivalent to Mullen being in the East while at State. We would have won the east probably 3 times under Dan.
    Dan would’ve still been conservative in big games and choke them away.

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1 View Post
    Dan would’ve still been conservative in big games and choke them away.
    The 98',99', and 2000 teams would have won 6 games max in the SEC west Dan's teams competed in.