Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's a sobering stat I missed

vCash

Here's a sobering stat I missed

In the past 15 years we have had one winning season in SEC play in football. That's half on Croom. But I think it shows how much Dan's record was inflated beating Louisiana Tech 3-4 times every year.

vCash
    Actually 1 in last 18, which includes 4 years of Sherrill.

Banned
    vCash
    If you go back to the beginning of the modern era, which is universally considered to be sometime in the 90s, we only add about 3 more (1994, 1998, 1999 maybe?)

Seems to me Jackie is still the KANG

Kang also played 11 game schedules with no FCS opponent, often with another Power 5 team

Yep, still the man

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5049 View Post
    If you go back to the beginning of the modern era, which is universally considered to be sometime in the 90s, we only add about 3 more (1994, 1998, 1999 maybe?)

Seems to me Jackie is still the KANG

Kang also played 11 game schedules with no FCS opponent, often with another Power 5 team

Yep, still the man
    1991 also. 1999 is the last year before saban came into the sec coincidentally

Banned
    vCash
    Would like to see similar stats on the other SEC West teams outside of bamer.

vCash
    Above .500 seasons in SEC football play Starting in 1992 when the SEC expanded:

MSU- 4
    Ole Miss- 5
    Alabama- 18
    Auburn- 16
    LSU- 19
    Arkansas- 8
    Texas A&M- 1 (Came into league in 2012 I believe)

SEC East for reference if anyone is curious:

Tennessee- 16
    Vanderbilt- 1
    Florida- 20
    Georgia- 18
    Kentucky- 0
    South Carolina- 8
    Missouri- 2

vCash
    Jackie is still the Kang in many ways: A. SEC West title - only SEC Title game I've attended B. More total wins C. Probably more quality wins (Usually more cupcakes scheduled in the 12 game seasons in recent years) C. Taught us we could win ( I know the last years were bad - thanks UNM & NCAA clouds over program) D. All Dawg - True Maroon. I would still make a donation for statue of him outside the stadium. JMO. I do think Jo will do a great job in all these areas. Hail State!

vCash
    We must have went 4-4 3-5 a LOT

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    In the past 15 years we have had one winning season in SEC play in football. That's half on Croom. But I think it shows how much Dan's record was inflated beating Louisiana Tech 3-4 times every year.
    Just read Rosebowl's inteview, me too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Geez ....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Geez ....
    Man speaks the truth and he gets criticism.
    Just stating man. Just stating. I know we will come out of this. Just a matter of time and timing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    4-4 happened 8 times since 1992- Four times under Dan, three under Jackie, and once under Croom.

3-5 happened four times since 1992- Three times under Dan and once under Jackie. Jackie did have a 2-5-1 season in 1993 though just in the sake of curiosity.

So, seven of Dan's nine seasons we were 3-5 or 4-4 in the SEC. So, you're right. The other two seasons we went 6-2 in 2014 and then 2-6 in 2011.

vCash
    4-4 happened 8 times since 1992- Four times under Dan, three under Jackie, and once under Croom.

3-5 happened four times since 1992- Three times under Dan and once under Jackie. Jackie did have a 2-5-1 season in 1993 though just in the sake of curiosity.

So, seven of Dan's nine seasons we were 3-5 or 4-4 in the SEC. So, you're right. The other two seasons we went 6-2 in 2014 and then 2-6 in 2011.
    So Dan averaged a little under 50% in the SEC. That doesn't seem all that great since we play Vanderbilt and Kentucky every year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Just read Rosebowl's inteview, me too.
    I love the fact that Joe's slogan this year is to "Go from good to great". I remember some notorious MSU fans on Twitter calling me out because I wanted MSU to do just that last year telling me that if I couldn't enjoy our 8 wins seasons I would never be satisfied. It feels good to have a coach that at least has some high expectations and wants to at least try to better the program and take it up a notch.

Here's how I see MSU coaches in my fan lifetime:

Felker- GOB. Thanks for Tennessee 1986 and the 1987 Egg Bowl and beating Favre twice.

Jackie- Took us to the next level. Showed us that we could compete and beat anyone in the SEC. Unfortunately, he was madly inconsistent and those wins are almost offset with embarrassing losses to people like Troy and Northeast Louisiana.

Croom- Nice footnote in SEC history that MSU will reap the rewards from for years to come even though he was a bad coach.

Dan- I can't say he took us to the next level beyond where Jackie took us, but he did provide something very important for us which was stability and got us consistently in bowl games. Jackie got us in bowl games but the consistency wasn't always there. I can stomach a loss to South Alabama once every ten years even though it is embarrassing and unacceptable.

I hope Joe is a combination of Jackie's big game capability and Dan's consistency.

vCash
    So Dan averaged a little under 50% in the SEC. That doesn't seem all that great since we play Vanderbilt and Kentucky every year.
    We rarely play Vanderbilt. Actually, we play them fewer than most of the teams in the league. As well as Georgia. I may be mistaken but I believe Dan only coached against Vandy twice and one of those was in 2009 which was one of his worst years. We totally avoided the James Franklin era.

vCash
    Rocket, we don't play Vandy every year TSUN does Kentucky is our only permanent east opponent.

vCash
    Mullen raised our floor and that's about it. 2014 was really the only exception.

vCash
    If you had a halfway decent team, not hard to win 8 in Dan's years: A. Beat 4 OOC cupcakes B. Beat KY and another SEC East team most years C. Win two against AU, LSU, Arky, UNM, aTm D. Never beat bama Looking back our overpaying Dan made it hard for anyone else to want him most years.

vCash
    I love the fact that Joe's slogan this year is to "Go from good to great". I remember some notorious MSU fans on Twitter calling me out because I wanted MSU to do just that last year telling me that if I couldn't enjoy our 8 wins seasons I would never be satisfied. It feels good to have a coach that at least has some high expectations and wants to at least try to better the program and take it up a notch.

Felker- GOB. Thanks for Tennessee 1986 and the 1987 Egg Bowl and beating Favre twice.

Jackie- Took us to the next level. Showed us that we could compete and beat anyone in the SEC. Unfortunately, he was madly inconsistent and those wins are almost offset with embarrassing losses to people like Troy and Northeast Louisiana.

Croom- Nice footnote in SEC history that MSU will reap the rewards from for years to come even though he was a bad coach.

Dan- I can't say he took us to the next level beyond where Jackie took us, but he did provide something very important for us which was stability and got us consistently in bowl games. Jackie got us in bowl games but the consistency wasn't always there. I can stomach a loss to South Alabama once every ten years even though it is embarrassing and unacceptable.

I hope Joe is a combination of Jackie's big game capability and Dan's consistency.
    He did really ... didn't average attendance increase almost 50% under Dan? Might not've been that much but close.

vCash

Dan had the advantage of many more bowls than Jackie had! You get 6 wins you get a bowl now.