Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: RIP Dr. Stephen Hawking

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by turkish View Post
    Hate MS? Why? A neutral observer of this thread may just as easily conclude that MS is more dominated by atheists who take some questionable msg board comments and ascribe the opinions therein to an entire religion.
    Atheist? Just because I appreciate Dr. Hawking does not make me or anyone else an atheist. Appreciating genius has nothing to do with religion. Shit.
    Maybe just maybe everything I said about Mississippians has nothing to do with religion specifically and maybe just my impression of someone's insecure faith.

vCash
    Hate MS? Why? A neutral observer of this thread may just as easily conclude that MS is more dominated by atheists who take some questionable msg board comments and ascribe the opinions therein to an entire religion.
    Just for the record, I've seen similar post on TD political board (LSU site), Facebook, and twitter. I do not think this is a Mississippian issue. I think it's a Christians issue. Dancing in the streets over someone's death who is not a believer is kinda not how it's supposed to go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Just for the record, I've seen similar post on TD political board (LSU site), Facebook, and twitter. I do not think this is a Mississippian issue. I think it's a Christians issue. Dancing in the streets over someone's death who is not a believer is kinda not how it's supposed to go.
    Respectfully, to assume that posters there carry anymore clout than Mr Cooterpoot is dreadfully unfair.

It also seems impossible around here to know when it’s acceptable to be a wise ass and when it’s gonna offend someone. Such are the times, I guess. Some groups are held to a higher standard — maybe it’s high time to understand that, embrace it, take the high road, and leave the internet cred to others.
    Last edited by turkish; 03-14-2018 at 04:15 PM.

vCash
    Respectfully, to assume that posters there carry anymore clout than Mr Cooterpoot is dreadfully unfair.

It also seems impossible around here to know when it’s acceptable to be a wise ass and when it’s gonna offend someone. Such are the times, I guess. Some groups are held to a higher standard — maybe it’s high time to understand that, embrace it, take the high road, and leave the internet cred to others.
    See, it’s really not that complicated. “Being a wise ass” in a thread about a guy dying probably isn’t the place and I think that’s pretty common sense. I’m not assuming anything btw. All I’m saying is that a lot of what I’ve seen today, as a Christian, is sad to me.

vCash

Not really. If you're a wise ass at the wrong time you will be called out and you own up to it or stick to it and die on the hill. Either was is respectable. If you are a wise-ass and you are wrong you will be flayed alive...just have to own up to it and come back later full of piss and vinegar. That's what everyone else does. That's pretty much it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Not really. If you're a wise ass at the wrong time you will be called out and you own up to it or stick to it and die on the hill. Either was is respectable. If you are a wise-ass and you are wrong you will be flayed alive...just have to own up to it and come back later full of piss and vinegar. That's what everyone else does. That's pretty much it.
    Sounds simple. But wrong is subjective.
    Last edited by turkish; 03-14-2018 at 05:44 PM.

vCash
    Nobody is dancing in the streets over this. Get a grip. That goes for the other side of this as well

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Nobody is dancing in the streets over this. Get a grip. That goes for the other side of this as well
    Finger pointing to the “other side”.... Fox and MSNBC has ruined this country. It’s incredible. On every platform I’ve read today, Christians are gloating about his death. What that has to do with any side is beyond me.

Banned
    vCash
    Finger pointing to the “other side”.... Fox and MSNBC has ruined this country. It’s incredible. On every platform I’ve read today, Christians are gloating about his death. What that has to do with any side is beyond me.
    saying Christians are "gloating" over his death is way over the top and has no basis in honesty. and Fox and MSNBC have nothing to do with this thread.

vCash
    I’ve read the same platforms today and have not seen a single person “gloating”. This is just virtue signaling and nothing more.

vCash
    All Christians?

vCash
    Fair points. I should have said ?atheist apologists.? I love you all, regardless.

vCash
    If he wasn?t afflicted and in a wheelchair, no one would be talking on this day, about him or the things he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgRockur View Post
    If he wasn?t afflicted and in a wheelchair, no one would be talking on this day, about him or the things he said.

vCash
    This is a completely wrong take. He was an Einstein-level scientist who changed the past, present and future of physics in ways that many people just don't care to understand. The world lost one of its intellectual giants when he passed.

vCash
    Oh for ****s sake....

vCash
    What makes you say that? I mean, can you qualify this statement? He was a best selling author and a ground-breaking theorist in cosmology and physics. The fact that he accomplished this all with a debilitating disease is part and parcel of his story.

It's kind of like saying "no one would talk about Abraham Lincoln if he hadn't been assassinated". Just because YOU wouldn't have been talking about him doesn't mean others wouldn't have. The fact that those outside of the field became interested in his works because of his unique disease is just part of his story and celebrity. It doesn't negate his work in the field.

vCash
    All you smart SOB's living in your vacuum. It's ok if he was a genius asshole.

Banned
    vCash
    I have no question the dude had a brilliant mind and contributed mightily to the world of science but I've got huge differences with those who think they know it all when in reality, in the whole scheme of things, know very little. They think the human mind can solve all of the world's questions about how the universe was created but if you really think about it, the human mind does not even have the capacity to do so no matter the IQ.

So before the universe was created, was there no such thing as time? what was going back then? and before that? and before that? nothing? is dead air / empty space nothing? would a clock not work back then? how far can a rocket ship go travelling 10X the speed of light? what happens after 10,000 years traveling at that speed? hit a brick wall? what would be beyond the brick wall?

We live in an infinite universe with infinite time and infinite distance that the human brain will never be able to come remotely close to understanding because we have finite minds. Which totally means there is something out there that is so out of this world remarkable the human mind can not even come close to comprehending it. It's called creative design and I'm not saying everybody should bow down and pray and go to Sunday School every week. It's just cold hard scientific fact. I'm not throwing a religious spill on this. Folks like Hawking and the majority of other scientist are indeed atheists and that's their business. But I believe it's because they are so enamored with all the glory we bestow upon them that they feel this sense of entitlement that allows them to kinda "play God" because they are so smart and therefore MUST have all the answers. I'm just saying they don't.

That's why I have so much more respect for someone like Einstein (who was a non practicing Jew) over Hawking because Einstein said things like this all the time: “Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.”

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    I have no question the dude had a brilliant mind and contributed mightily to the world of science but I've got huge differences with those who think they know it all when in reality, in the whole scheme of things, know very little. They think the human mind can solve all of the world's questions about how the universe was created but if you really think about it, the human mind does not even have the capacity to do so no matter the IQ.

So before the universe was created, was there no such thing as time? what was going back then? and before that? and before that? nothing? is dead air / empty space nothing? would a clock not work back then? how far can a rocket ship go travelling 10X the speed of light? what happens after 10,000 years traveling at that speed? hit a brick wall? what would be beyond the brick wall?

We live in an infinite universe with infinite time and infinite distance that the human brain will never be able to come remotely close to understanding because we have finite minds. Which totally means there is something out there that is so out of this world remarkable the human mind can not even come close to comprehending it. It's called creative design and I'm not saying everybody should bow down and pray and go to Sunday School every week. It's just cold hard scientific fact. I'm not throwing a religious spill on this. Folks like Hawking and the majority of other scientist are indeed atheists and that's their business. But I believe it's because they are so enamored with all the glory we bestow upon them that they feel this sense of entitlement that allows them to kinda "play God" because they are so smart and therefore MUST have all the answers. I'm just saying they don't.

That's why I have so much more respect for someone like Einstein (who was a non practicing Jew) over Hawking because Einstein said things like this all the time: ?Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.?
    100% accurate, Bully13 I had no clue you were capable of posting such awesomeness! joking (or am I?)

Science itself has Christian roots. Hawking says God never intervenes in this world, I say, he intervenes just enough that we still must make a choice

Hawking made his choice, good luck to him, he'll need it