Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: RIP Dr. Stephen Hawking

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by turkish View Post
    Respectfully, to assume that posters there carry anymore clout than Mr Cooterpoot is dreadfully unfair.

It also seems impossible around here to know when it’s acceptable to be a wise ass and when it’s gonna offend someone. Such are the times, I guess. Some groups are held to a higher standard — maybe it’s high time to understand that, embrace it, take the high road, and leave the internet cred to others.
    Not really. If you're a wise ass at the wrong time you will be called out and you own up to it or stick to it and die on the hill. Either was is respectable. If you are a wise-ass and you are wrong you will be flayed alive...just have to own up to it and come back later full of piss and vinegar. That's what everyone else does. That's pretty much it.

Banned
    vCash
    I have no question the dude had a brilliant mind and contributed mightily to the world of science but I've got huge differences with those who think they know it all when in reality, in the whole scheme of things, know very little. They think the human mind can solve all of the world's questions about how the universe was created but if you really think about it, the human mind does not even have the capacity to do so no matter the IQ.

So before the universe was created, was there no such thing as time? what was going back then? and before that? and before that? nothing? is dead air / empty space nothing? would a clock not work back then? how far can a rocket ship go travelling 10X the speed of light? what happens after 10,000 years traveling at that speed? hit a brick wall? what would be beyond the brick wall?

We live in an infinite universe with infinite time and infinite distance that the human brain will never be able to come remotely close to understanding because we have finite minds. Which totally means there is something out there that is so out of this world remarkable the human mind can not even come close to comprehending it. It's called creative design and I'm not saying everybody should bow down and pray and go to Sunday School every week. It's just cold hard scientific fact. I'm not throwing a religious spill on this. Folks like Hawking and the majority of other scientist are indeed atheists and that's their business. But I believe it's because they are so enamored with all the glory we bestow upon them that they feel this sense of entitlement that allows them to kinda "play God" because they are so smart and therefore MUST have all the answers. I'm just saying they don't.

That's why I have so much more respect for someone like Einstein (who was a non practicing Jew) over Hawking because Einstein said things like this all the time: “Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.”

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    I have no question the dude had a brilliant mind and contributed mightily to the world of science but I've got huge differences with those who think they know it all when in reality, in the whole scheme of things, know very little. They think the human mind can solve all of the world's questions about how the universe was created but if you really think about it, the human mind does not even have the capacity to do so no matter the IQ.

So before the universe was created, was there no such thing as time? what was going back then? and before that? and before that? nothing? is dead air / empty space nothing? would a clock not work back then? how far can a rocket ship go travelling 10X the speed of light? what happens after 10,000 years traveling at that speed? hit a brick wall? what would be beyond the brick wall?

We live in an infinite universe with infinite time and infinite distance that the human brain will never be able to come remotely close to understanding because we have finite minds. Which totally means there is something out there that is so out of this world remarkable the human mind can not even come close to comprehending it. It's called creative design and I'm not saying everybody should bow down and pray and go to Sunday School every week. It's just cold hard scientific fact. I'm not throwing a religious spill on this. Folks like Hawking and the majority of other scientist are indeed atheists and that's their business. But I believe it's because they are so enamored with all the glory we bestow upon them that they feel this sense of entitlement that allows them to kinda "play God" because they are so smart and therefore MUST have all the answers. I'm just saying they don't.

That's why I have so much more respect for someone like Einstein (who was a non practicing Jew) over Hawking because Einstein said things like this all the time: ?Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.?
    100% accurate, Bully13 I had no clue you were capable of posting such awesomeness! joking (or am I?)

Science itself has Christian roots. Hawking says God never intervenes in this world, I say, he intervenes just enough that we still must make a choice

Hawking made his choice, good luck to him, he'll need it

vCash

That's why I have so much more respect for someone like Einstein (who was a non practicing Jew) over Hawking because Einstein said things like this all the time: ?Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.?
    If it were truly scientists in this society that we bestow glory upon, rather than athletes or models or actors I think we'd be in a much better place.

Also, doing the thing children do when they keep asking "why?" does not disprove scientific theory. In fact, some of the questions you raised in that post have concrete answers, but I suspect you don't care what the answers really are.

Also, I think you have a pretty misunderstood view of Einstein's view of religion and philosophy. This isn't the place to hash that out, but calling him a "non-practicing Jew" is giving him way more credit than he deserves. He, like many scientists before him, held something close to Spinoza's god as a philosophy--and of course Spinoza was literally expelled from the Jewish community for that view. Einstein didn't believe in a personal god who gives a damn about humanity. Calling anyone who believed in some sort of spiritual connection to the universe (which could be manifested as a wonder at the stars or the worship of David Bowie) religious in the sense that Christians use the word is disingenuous at best, and probably underlies a complete misunderstanding of what the schism in the science vs. religion dilemma actually is. Einstein, Sagan, Feynman, and Hawking all stated some sort of spiritual wonder toward the universe. Why do you respect Einstein and not the others?

ETA: In fact, one could cherry pick many quotes from other scientists to make whatever point you're trying to make. For example, Hawking once said, "The laws may have been decreed by God, but God does not intervene to break the laws." That's a pretty similar religious view to the one Einstein held.
    Last edited by bostondawg; 03-14-2018 at 05:16 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Just for the record, I've seen similar post on TD political board (LSU site), Facebook, and twitter. I do not think this is a Mississippian issue. I think it's a Christians issue. Dancing in the streets over someone's death who is not a believer is kinda not how it's supposed to go.
    Nobody is dancing in the streets over this. Get a grip. That goes for the other side of this as well

vCash

That's why I have so much more respect for someone like Einstein (who was a non practicing Jew) over Hawking because Einstein said things like this all the time: “Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.”
    Science and theology answer separate questions. There is no either/or to the debate and there never has been. Einstein and Hawking both knew this.

Science addresses ?how?. Theology addresses ?why?.

Laws like gravity did not exist prior to their having something to act upon. Matter, dark or not, had nothing to interact with to explode before matter came into existence.

Hawking did know that societies who rely heavily on theology are less apt to experiment scientifically and at its core, the rivalry originated. But never have they been mutually exclusive except to the simple minded. God, nor a Big Bang or a dark particle or a 40 day flood were ever statements against the other.

Einstein believed in an intelligent designer and so did Hawking. The particulars of how they understood God don?t necessarily fit denominational dogma, but believed they most certainly did.

vCash
    Just for the record, I've seen similar post on TD political board (LSU site), Facebook, and twitter. I do not think this is a Mississippian issue. I think it's a Christians issue. Dancing in the streets over someone's death who is not a believer is kinda not how it's supposed to go.
    I can?t imagine any Christian happy he is dead. I?m certainly not. I hurt inside anytime someone dies I believe is not Christian because I don?t want anybody to spend eternity where I believe those that do not believe end up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Not really. If you're a wise ass at the wrong time you will be called out and you own up to it or stick to it and die on the hill. Either was is respectable. If you are a wise-ass and you are wrong you will be flayed alive...just have to own up to it and come back later full of piss and vinegar. That's what everyone else does. That's pretty much it.
    Sounds simple. But wrong is subjective.
    Last edited by turkish; 03-14-2018 at 05:44 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    Science and theology answer separate questions. There is no either/or to the debate and there never has been. Einstein and Hawking both knew this.

Laws like gravity did not exist prior to their having something to act upon. Matter, dark or not, had nothing to interact with to explode before matter came into existence.

Hawking did know that societies who rely heavily on theology are less apt to experiment scientifically and at its core, the rivalry originated. But never have they been mutually exclusive except to the simple minded. God, nor a Big Bang or a dark particle or a 40 day flood were ever statements against the other.

Einstein believed in an intelligent designer and so did Hawking. The particulars of how they understood God don?t necessarily fit denominational dogma, but believed they most certainly did.
    From what I've read, Hawking refers to the universe's creation as nothing more than an accident due to gravity. Goes on to say there was no divine intervention, just pure luck. I can't think of anything more polar opposite to Einstein's views.

Physics, the book states, can now explain where the universe came from and why the laws of nature are what they are. The universe arose “from nothing” courtesy of the force of gravity, and the laws of nature are an accident of the particular slice of universe we happen to inhabit. “It is possible to answer these questions purely within the realm of science, and without invoking any divine beings,” the authors wrote. (An adaptation of the book appeared in the October Scientific American.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Yes there was. And it was fine.

Also, if we're going to start recognizing honorary doctorates, I must insist we also recognize:

Dr. Sean "Puffy" Combs
    Dr. Dolly Parton
    Dr. Jon Bon Jovi
    Dr. LL Cool J
    Dr. William Shatner
    Dr. Shaquille O'Neal

et al.

Shaq died? Damn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Damn, I hate Mississippians sometimes.
    Someone you have never met that is a genius has nothing to do with you.
    Get over your fear that someone knows something you don't, and acknowledge their expertise.
    Just because you do not understand what someone is saying, does not make that person a quack.
    Just because someone that has 4 PHDs does not threaten your way of life. Their PHDs do not trump your GED, nor vice versa.
    This man contributed more to the understanding of theoretical physics and the universe than almost any person to ever live.
    He may be proven wrong someday, but he dedicated his entire life searching for answers and should be respected as such.
    All things nonreligious is not against your God, and stop being a p-ssy about it.
    True faith wouldn't be worried about it. Our God put him here for a reason. Do you not trust God in his plan? Sounds like you don't.
    He was wrong abut a few things but people proving him wrong advanced science. He probably put some things out there hoping some one would try and prove him wrong.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post

delete
    Last edited by Bully13; 03-14-2018 at 06:38 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    Before today you could have given me a billion guesses and I wouldn't have picked a Stephen Hawking remembrance thread would be the #1 most triggering thread of the year. I suspect I wouldn't be the only one. This thread is an Elitedawgs HOF thread for this reason alone.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bostondawg View Post
    If it were truly scientists in this society that we bestow glory upon, rather than athletes or models or actors I think we'd be in a much better place.

Also, doing the thing children do when they keep asking "why?" does not disprove scientific theory. In fact, some of the questions you raised in that post have concrete answers, but I suspect you don't care what the answers really are.

Also, I think you have a pretty misunderstood view of Einstein's view of religion and philosophy. This isn't the place to hash that out, but calling him a "non-practicing Jew" is giving him way more credit than he deserves. He, like many scientists before him, held something close to Spinoza's god as a philosophy--and of course Spinoza was literally expelled from the Jewish community for that view. Einstein didn't believe in a personal god who gives a damn about humanity. Calling anyone who believed in some sort of spiritual connection to the universe (which could be manifested as a wonder at the stars or the worship of David Bowie) religious in the sense that Christians use the word is disingenuous at best, and probably underlies a complete misunderstanding of what the schism in the science vs. religion dilemma actually is. Einstein, Sagan, Feynman, and Hawking all stated some sort of spiritual wonder toward the universe. Why do you respect Einstein and not the others?

ETA: In fact, one could cherry pick many quotes from other scientists to make whatever point you're trying to make. For example, Hawking once said, "The laws may have been decreed by God, but God does not intervene to break the laws." That's a pretty similar religious view to the one Einstein held.
    His actual quotes though don't back up he believed in intelligent design. he said it was just pure luck which is opposite of what Einstein said. And his "God" reference he made was later followed up by him saying you took my "God" reference out of context.

http://time.com/5199149/stephen-hawk...h-god-atheist/

https://owlcation.com/humanities/Ste...-God-Heres-Why

The guy plainly states "There is no God". and that we are all here by an accident. sound like an "Intelligent Design believer to you? do you think there is a difference between "Creative Design' and "Intelligent Design"? How many times does he have to say we are here by accident for someone to come to the conclusion his opinion on our origins are 180 degrees opposite of those held by Einstein?

Oh, and thanks for letting me know all my questions are "childish" and we already have the answers to them. I'd be more than happy to know we've got them all figured out by all you smart scientist types. And you are wrong , I'd love to hear what the answers are to those "childish" questions of mine. I'm sure others on the board would like to hear them too. Some of us, including myself, may have missed the headline / memo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Nobody is dancing in the streets over this. Get a grip. That goes for the other side of this as well
    Finger pointing to the “other side”.... Fox and MSNBC has ruined this country. It’s incredible. On every platform I’ve read today, Christians are gloating about his death. What that has to do with any side is beyond me.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Before today you could have given me a billion guesses and I wouldn't have picked a Stephen Hawking remembrance thread would be the #1 most triggering thread of the year. I suspect I wouldn't be the only one. This thread is an Elitedawgs HOF thread for this reason alone.
    you and me both 61. kinda funny, no? I'm just glad some mod didn't get crotch itch over it and move it over another board.

Banned
    vCash
    Finger pointing to the “other side”.... Fox and MSNBC has ruined this country. It’s incredible. On every platform I’ve read today, Christians are gloating about his death. What that has to do with any side is beyond me.
    saying Christians are "gloating" over his death is way over the top and has no basis in honesty. and Fox and MSNBC have nothing to do with this thread.

vCash
    I’ve read the same platforms today and have not seen a single person “gloating”. This is just virtue signaling and nothing more.

vCash
    Saying thread is the most triggered seems a little over the top to me. There were a couple head scratching comments. And I’ve never known 61 to use asinine hyperbole.

vCash
    saying Christians are "gloating" over his death is way over the top and has no basis in honesty. and Fox and MSNBC have nothing to do with this thread.
    I’m gonna type this one more time. I’d suggest reading it slowly: On every platform I have read, Christians are gloating over his death. That is my opinion and you don’t have to believe it, I don’t care. That does not equal = all Christians. I am a Christian and am not in this camp. In this thread posters response has been, “Well, the other side...” and “did Billy Graham get a thread”. That adversarial rhetoric and justification for any inappropriate comment with some excuse about “the other side” is 100% absolutely on Fox and MSNBC. People accept justification and spin as fact as long as it fits their personal feelings and beliefs. That has filtered its way into everyday American life. It’s absolute insanity and this thread proves it.

This is I believe so you cannot spin it:
    -Hawkings made incredible contributions to science. He was a genius
    -If he died never accepting Christ into his life, that’s a shame. It’s an opportunity we missed as American Christians.