Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot wait to see this defensive line

Banned
    vCash

Cannot wait to see this defensive line

We are going to eat people, I cannot predict our offense, a lot of variables there, but one thing that is near certain - we have men on the DL, and a lot of them:

Simmons - Jr.
    Sweat - Sr.
    Rivers - RJr.
    Hoyett - RSr.

Autry - RJr.
    Brown - RJr.
    Adams - RJr.
    Spencer - Jr.

I have not even gotten to the underclassmen

You gotta be kidding me, how did we get this type of talent AND depth?

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    You forgot Cory Thomas.

vCash
    Yea this is why I am not too concerned with our DB position. If they can just be average we will be fine. Opposing QB are not going to have much time to throw. Imagine lining up to take a snap and from left to right you see 17n Rivers, Simmons Sweat, and Green. Lol I would shit my pants.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    You forgot Cory Thomas.
    Not only that- Hoyette, who played pretty well in 2017- could end up in the 3rd group of DT's in the rotation

We are Alabama good on the DL
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    Yea this is why I am not too concerned with our DB position. If they can just be average we will be fine. Opposing QB are not going to have much time to throw. Imagine lining up to take a snap and from left to right you see 17n Rivers, Simmons Sweat, and Green. Lol I would shit my pants.
    Exactly

Elite D Lines can take over games....and seasons

To go along with that, I cannot imagine our offense is not better, everyone returning plus Dear and Guidry. How can we not be improved? Our cautious fans are overthinking this stuff and trying to be 'objective' to preserve their ego so they can pretend to not be upset if we do not meet expectations

except we will meet them and exceed them

Even if JoMo is not good at building a program/discpline/all that stuff, that won't matter in year 1, that stuff catches up to you in year 3 and beyond. Just coach the team right now

I also love that Mullen, the guy who is best known for not getting it done, will have to watch us finally get it done with a team he built
    Last edited by 5049; 03-13-2018 at 12:44 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5049 View Post
    Exactly

Elite D Lines can take over games....and seasons

To go along with that, I cannot imagine our offense is not better, everyone returning plus Dear and Guidry. How can we not be improved? Our cautious fans are overthinking this stuff and trying to be 'objective' to preserve their ego so they can pretend to not be upset if we do not meet expectations

except we will meet them and exceed them

Even if JoMo is not good at building a program/discpline/all that stuff, that won't matter in year 1, that stuff catches up to you in year 3 and beyond. Just coach the team right now

I also love that Mullen, the guy who is best known for not getting it done, will have to watch us finally get it done with a team he built
    Yea that is what I have been saying. I am from Alabama and all of my friends are Auburn and Bama fans. They are not use to me talking shit in the offseason but I have been relentless so far and am enjoying it. This will be the best collection of talent we have EVER had and we are going to beat the shit out of some teams this year. I cant wait.

vCash
    Yea that is what I have been saying. I am from Alabama and all of my friends are Auburn and Bama fans. They are not use to me talking shit in the offseason but I have been relentless so far and am enjoying it. This will be the best collection of talent we have EVER had and we are going to beat the shit out of some teams this year. I cant wait.
    Yeah, I'm still resisting the urge to smack talk, but it is damn hard. This is the best I've felt going into a season since 1999. '98 was something of a dream season, but it was a let down at the end, and on paper it looked like we back-doored into the SEC West title. Then you look at the roster for what we had coming back in '99 and you just knew we were going to be Bad Ass. I've got that same vibe this year. And this team has such a chip on their shoulder wanting to prove Dan is a moron. It's a perfect storm.

Banned
    vCash
    Muffins did an impressive job stocking the DL. Probably better at it than he was developing QBs and that's saying something.

vCash
    We are going to eat people, I cannot predict our offense, a lot of variables there, but one thing that is near certain - we have men on the DL, and a lot of them:

Simmons - Jr.
    Sweat - Sr.
    Rivers - RJr.
    Hoyett - RSr.

Autry - RJr.
    Brown - RJr.
    Adams - RJr.
    Spencer - Jr.

You forgot Kobe Jones

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Yeah, I'm still resisting the urge to smack talk, but it is damn hard. This is the best I've felt going into a season since 1999. '98 was something of a dream season, but it was a let down at the end, and on paper it looked like we back-doored into the SEC West title. Then you look at the roster for what we had coming back in '99 and you just knew we were going to be Bad Ass. I've got that same vibe this year. And this team has such a chip on their shoulder wanting to prove Dan is a moron. It's a perfect storm.
    1998-1999 is very similar, actually. Not exact, but similar. What were we in the regular season, 8-3? Which would be 9-3 with the schedules today, and what we should have been last year without the egg stupidity. 2013-2014 was similar, but not quite as talented overall as we are now, and we were in 1999. We made a 2 game jump after 1998, a 4 game jump after 2013. Take the average, and we make a 3 game jump to 11-1....well, let's hope that 1 isn't in Tuscaloosa.

Speaking of which - 1999, 2014 and 2018 all have the same thing in common - the road runs through that God forsaken town where MSU dreams go to die

2000 was probably our most talented year in recent history, but that year had expectations, which leads the team to play a totally different way, and we did not handle it well. Personally, I think this year is sort of a mix together of 1999 and 2000, plus an elite quarterback. Sky's the limit

vCash
    Im gonna keep beating the Bob Shoop dead horse.

a LOT riding on him

vCash
    1998-1999 is very similar, actually. Not exact, but similar. What were we in the regular season, 8-3? Which would be 9-3 with the schedules today, and what we should have been last year without the egg stupidity. 2013-2014 was similar, but not quite as talented overall as we are now, and we were in 1999. We made a 2 game jump after 1998, a 4 game jump after 2013. Take the average, and we make a 3 game jump to 11-1....well, let's hope that 1 isn't in Tuscaloosa.

Speaking of which - 1999, 2014 and 2018 all have the same thing in common - the road runs through that God forsaken town where MSU dreams go to die

2000 was probably our most talented year in recent history, but that year had expectations, which leads the team to play a totally different way, and we did not handle it well. Personally, I think this year is sort of a mix together of 1999 and 2000, plus an elite quarterback. Sky's the limit
    '98 we were 8-3 regular season - hammered early by OSU in Stillwater, hammered by LSU in Red Stick, then a WTF loss at Kentucky with us coming off a bye after LSU. Actually, all 3 were WTF losses - OSU ended 5-6, LSU 4-7, and KY 7-5. At least last year our 3 losses were to very good teams (I refuse to count the Egg in this discussion). If we come into T-Town 9-0 next year we will have run a gaunlet - @KY, UF, AU, @LSU, A&M, then rested up with LA Tech. Bama will be coming off a Saturday Night in Baton Rouge. All the pieces are there, and it could be a #1 v #2 match up - again. I think we take 'em.

Banned
    vCash
    Not worried about the D at all. Im just concerned about fitz being 100% both mentally & physically. If he is, then this is going to be the most balanced and dominant team ive witnessed in my 55 yr lifetime.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Muffins did an impressive job stocking the DL. Probably better at it than he was developing QBs and that's saying something.
    And interestingly enough we never had a DL coach that was part of the Country Club. Thank you David Turner and Brian Baker.

Banned
    vCash
    getting Jeffrey Simmons and landing Sweat was uuuuuuJA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    '98 we were 8-3 regular season - hammered early by OSU in Stillwater, hammered by LSU in Red Stick, then a WTF loss at Kentucky with us coming off a bye after LSU. Actually, all 3 were WTF losses - OSU ended 5-6, LSU 4-7, and KY 7-5. At least last year our 3 losses were to very good teams (I refuse to count the Egg in this discussion). If we come into T-Town 9-0 next year we will have run a gaunlet - @KY, UF, AU, @LSU, A&M, then rested up with LA Tech. Bama will be coming off a Saturday Night in Baton Rouge. All the pieces are there, and it could be a #1 v #2 match up - again. I think we take 'em.
    Kentucky was pretty good that year and that was a road game for us. I'm pretty sure they went to a bowl. LSU we didn't look ready at all. OSU was the game where Wyatt played really poorly and was essentially benched for Madkin permanently other than relief roles.

1998 was a loaded team- I wasn't too surprised that we won the West that year other I was surprised at HOW we did it. As much as I like Jackie, his biggest problem is he didn't have us prepared for every game- which was very frustrating.

I didn't see 1999 coming honestly. I thought we would take a step back because we lost JJ, Dennis McKinley, Prentiss, Cooper, most of our o-line including Randy Thomas and Eric Allen, and the JUCO guys on defense were basically unknowns going into the year that exceeded every reasonable expectation. 1998 the offense was better than 1999 if we're being honest- but the 1999 defense was much better than the 1998 defense which was pretty good in it's own right.

We'll see what 2018 brings but I will say I can't remember a MSU team bringing this much back while obviously addressing major question marks- Getsy is a HUGE upgrade at WR coach over Gonzalez in not just recruiting. He's pretty much a WR guru and even if Whop and Heath aren't ready I have no doubts based on what I have read about him that he will get Todd and Couch up to speed and very much improved over what we have seen from them so far. I think the biggest problem holding us back was Dan- Joe is going to be an upgrade and be much more aggressive as a play caller. It could make the difference in a couple of games.

I have definitely seen some parallels potentially between 1998-1999 and 2018-2019. We'll see if they hold true or not- the 1998-1999 teams were the best I have ever seen at MSU in back to back years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Im gonna keep beating the Bob Shoop dead horse.

a LOT riding on him
    I think not having Dan around to freak out on whoever our DC is will probably help overall performance on that side of the ball as well. It was like we gave up one big play and then it seemed like all we did was play soft zone the rest of the game.

vCash
    Everytime I think of how good how Dline can be, I think about how ridiculous it would be if we would have signed Raekwon Davis

vCash
    DL is important to db but it doesn't allow you to be weak there. Smooot and bean were good. Even better w a great dl.

vCash

Simmons - Jr.
    Sweat - Sr.
    Rivers - RJr.
    Hoyett - RSr.

Autry - RJr.
    Brown - RJr.
    Adams - RJr.
    Spencer - Jr.

We aren't Bama good on the DLine in 2018. We will actually be better than them.

Care to speculate on the LB rotation? I know we will have Leo, Green, Gay, Thompson, et al. Our front 7 is going to be a ting of legend.

Get ready to book a January trip fellas.