Thread: I know I'm prob the only one who feels this way...

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash

I know I'm prob the only one who feels this way...

But I'd love for Raffy Palmero to be coaching in some capacity at State. I know folks think he'd have a little trouble crootin but I'm talking about maybe a hitting coach. The guy has been great for MSU and you know the guy could improve anybody's hitting. Just watching thunder and lightning... carry on.
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    He's too moody and sensitive. I don't think it would end well- I would suspect that hiring him and then later forcing him to leave would be the third darkest day in my MSU baseball life behind the Cann scandal and Polk going beserk.

In other words we don't need to do anything like that right now.

I feel like MSU baseball has been relatively unstable for awhile now- going back to at least when Polk resigned if not before that as our fans gradually lost interest after realizing that he just didn't have the fire anymore. There was always a large portion of the fanbase that didn't support Cohen as the coach the entire time he was here- and it's pretty remarkable he had success despite that. It's also funny to me that those same people that didn't support Cohen as the coach now support him as the AD and are good with him. I thought Cann would bring stability- but even before his scandal the timing of the hire and the fact that it was mostly Cohen's old staff made that situation unstable. And now we've had to deal with Cann's scandal all the while building a new stadium and playing a ton of games on the road.

We need whoever the next coach is to be of not only caliber but also someone that brings in his own staff and will be here for at least 8-10 years with tremendous results. Hiring old baseball heroes who have never recruited before is not the way to do that. And with Palmeiro it may strain our relationship with Will Clark on top of that if Raffy is on staff.

Banned
    vCash
    We have a relationship with Will? I thought he was a Tulane fan now. no? he been around lately?

Does anybody know why neither of Rafael's sons never considered us? I just went and did a little google search and saw where Preston got drafted in the 7th round back in 2016. his final year at NC State, he hit like .330 with 9 HR and a .540 slugging % .

his younger son is playing A ball I think (Independent Atlantic League) and back in 2015, he and Rafael played together a few games. in one game Rafael went 2-4.

Would be interested to know how involved Raffy and Will are with MSU these days. I always liked Raffy more than Will. Did not like how that Texas Rangers deal went down. I was thought of Will as the assholish type and yea, maybe Raffy is the overly sensitive type of guy. Never cared about all the push back and hate on this board regarding Raffy and his SED probs. He was a great player at MSU, built the Palmiero Center for us and stuff. sure he 17'd up towards the end of his stellar MLB career, (made worse by his congressional testimony) . Kinda funny how he took more heat on this board than Bonds, McGurire, etc...

But I agree with Todd that now's not the time. too much 17ing drama going on at The Dude right now. let's get some stability in the dug out before we entertain anything like having Raffy back or something similar.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    He's too moody and sensitive. I don't think it would end well- I would suspect that hiring him and then later forcing him to leave would be the third darkest day in my MSU baseball life behind the Cann scandal and Polk going beserk.

In other words we don't need to do anything like that right now.

I feel like MSU baseball has been relatively unstable for awhile now- going back to at least when Polk resigned if not before that as our fans gradually lost interest after realizing that he just didn't have the fire anymore. There was always a large portion of the fanbase that didn't support Cohen as the coach the entire time he was here- and it's pretty remarkable he had success despite that. It's also funny to me that those same people that didn't support Cohen as the coach now support him as the AD and are good with him. I thought Cann would bring stability- but even before his scandal the timing of the hire and the fact that it was mostly Cohen's old staff made that situation unstable. And now we've had to deal with Cann's scandal all the while building a new stadium and playing a ton of games on the road.

We need whoever the next coach is to be of not only caliber but also someone that brings in his own staff and will be here for at least 8-10 years with tremendous results. Hiring old baseball heroes who have never recruited before is not the way to do that. And with Palmeiro it may strain our relationship with Will Clark on top of that if Raffy is on staff.
    This is not going to happen, its not an ideal situation for sure but until one thing changes Raffy isn't going to have much to do with our baseball program.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coursesuper View Post
    This is not going to happen, its not an ideal situation for sure but until one thing changes Raffy isn't going to have much to do with our baseball program.
    what's that "one thing" you are referring to?

vCash
    my guess is Cohen as AD
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I doubt raffy would want this.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    my guess is Cohen as AD
    So he's still bent outta shape about Cohen taking the HC gig? He symathizes with Polks rant he did?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    So he's still bent outta shape about Cohen taking the HC gig? He symathizes with Polks rant he did?
    I don't know if he is still bent out of shape over it but he is/was on Polk's side which is how his oldest son ended up at UAB.

And as far as your previous post- I don't think Clark comes by a lot and last I heard he was working for the Giants in their front office. But I don't think the relationship is bad either and there is no reason to jeopardize that or take sides between the two.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Bully13;903198]So he's still bent outta shape about Cohen taking the HC gig? He symathizes with Polks rant he did?[/QUOTE

Continuing to follow the common narrative is not a good thing, just suffice to say that as long as we have our current AD things will not change on this matter.

vCash
    THE right to do this is like the 1980s Miami football hurricanes. All informally

This would have Raffy, Lindy, Holder, Renfroe, Clark, Masters, Cohen, John Harden with current players...just scrimmaging at Starkville High School as ball players. Razzing each other and learning from each other...

They also invite some of the Dulin Dodgers and JT Ginn to come and play ball.

The NCAA could stand agog, fuming, and writing notes but who gives a crap. What Would Tony Soprano Do?

Banned
    vCash
    Last I read Raffy is still pursuing playing pro ball again. He's like 54 now or something but he's been trying to get picked up by a MLB team all year. Says he can still play and wants to prove it to his sons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    THE right to do this is like the 1980s Miami football hurricanes. All informally

This would have Raffy, Lindy, Holder, Renfroe, Clark, Masters, Cohen, John Harden with current players...just scrimmaging at Starkville High School as ball players. Razzing each other and learning from each other...

They also invite some of the Dulin Dodgers and JT Ginn to come and play ball.

The NCAA could stand agog, fuming, and writing notes but who gives a crap. What Would Tony Soprano Do?
    I like this idea. They could sell elite prospects on coming to MSU vs. going pro.