Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Memphis alums/friends at church told me today...

Banned
    vCash

Memphis alums/friends at church told me today...

....to expect U.of Memphis to buyout Tubby Smith to the tune of 9.5 million within the week and replace him with Memphis East High School Coach and former NBA star Penny Hardaway. Hardaway would bring in as an assistant, Larry Brown and one other big name coach. While this seems wild to me, it could have merit. Tubby has not signed one single Memphis area player in his two years which is considered blasphemy in these parts. Memphis's regularly sold out FedEx Forum has dropped 6,000 per game in attendance down to a paltry 13,000 per game during Tubby's two years and the decline actually started under Pastner's last year. Another important note.....Penny has many contacts with 4 and 5 star Memphis area high school recruits who would very seriously consider playing for him or dern near trip over their own feet to get at an offer from him. The 2019 nation's #1 overall recruit currently plays for Hardaway's East High team and another 5-Star recruit that would jump at the chance is Olive Branch's DJ Jeffries. East High also has another solid 4 star player and a projected 4/5 star player coming up. All would be locks with Hardaway and Larry Brown at the helm. Stay tune I'm told. Should hear something about this within several days if this has any truth to it at all.

Update.....here's an article detailing the same I found.......Penny&LarryBrown
    Last edited by Pit Bull; 03-12-2018 at 02:27 AM.

vCash
    Larry brown as an assistant? He is 77. Why would he come back as an assistant?

vCash
    Hiring a coach that has no college coaching experience feels like a hail marry and a one way ticket to probation. I get Penny has the name and Larry Brown would help, but it’s risky.

Banned
    vCash
    That would be so Memphis if they were to hire Penny. they have a rich hoops history. I would laugh my ass off.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Larry brown as an assistant? He is 77. Why would he come back as an assistant?
    Larry and Penny are good friends and I am told he wants to help Penny be successful. Not that much about money. Kind of like Ron Polk helping out at UAB. I have a hard time believing the Memphis AD would do this, but the rumors are certainly swirling.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    DJ must not have heard the plan because he's deciding tomorrow night between Kentucky Bama & MSU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    DJ must not have heard the plan because he's deciding tomorrow night between Kentucky Bama & MSU.
    Kentucky then, right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Kentucky then, right?
    That's what I'm thinking but I know we've made a big push this last month or so.

vCash
    I heard him and his family really enjoyed their unofficial last month and they could see him at MSU. I know Kentucky is a favorite here but I think if he wants to play for his home state he certainly would feel comfortable here. Hoping he commits to the good guys tomorrow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    I heard him and his family really enjoyed their unofficial last month and they could see him at MSU. I know Kentucky is a favorite here but I think if he wants to play for his home state he certainly would feel comfortable here. Hoping he commits to the good guys tomorrow.
    Hoping so too but it would be a big upset if he picked us.

vCash
    This is similar to what Phil Fulmer did to get his job (aka - sabatoge the incumbent to get the job you want)...

Banned
    vCash
    Hoping so too but it would be a big upset if he picked us.
    can I ask what player y'all are talking about?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    can I ask what player y'all are talking about?
    DJ Jeffries

Banned
    vCash
    DJ Jeffries
    thanks Dan, any particular reason as to why we are in the "no chance in hell" category?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    thanks Dan, any particular reason as to why we are in the "no chance in hell" category?
    We're in his final 3 so hard to say we're in "no chance in hell category".

vCash
    Kentucky fans aren’t too confident he’ll be at UK- who knows.

vCash
    Better produce some legit tournament runs ASAP bc a penny and brown combo is going to get that program damn near shut down.

vCash
    I don’t have a clue about the Memphis situation. But I have a hard thinking Larry Brown being an assistant Coach. His in his 70’s and has been retired a few years. I can’t see it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1 View Post
    Kentucky fans aren’t too confident he’ll be at UK- who knows.
    Expect it to be Kentucky

Banned
    vCash
    He may not have.....this all just blew up yesterday and today. Surprised me that Memphis would even part ways with 9.5 big ones. Don't even think Fred Smith would go along with that....but I have seen some of their attendances have even dropped below 10K for some games which is downright stupendous for this basketball crazed town. Many have said if they stick with Tubby....sales will drop even further.