Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Memphis alums/friends at church told me today...

vCash
    He is all Kentucky. Another instate talent gone to be just another player for a traditional program.

vCash
    Seems like all instate recruits in football grow up LSU fans and the basketball recruits grow up Kentucky fans*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
    He is all Kentucky. Another instate talent gone to be just another player for a traditional program.
    Buncha sellouts.

Look how many of the 2019 football class grew up LSU fans. It’s shamful imo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Seems like all instate recruits in football grow up LSU fans and the basketball recruits grow up Kentucky fans*
    And those football recruits can become Alabama fans in seconds flat.

vCash
    Tell me sir, how many Mississippi recruits have we lost to out of state programs in basketball that wasn’t good attrition? Sure, you could say Newman (but technically he gave us the only year he wanted to be here anyway) and Kegler (good attrition where if he stays we don’t get Perry). In the long run, both of those transfers worked to our benefit. The program a Penny hire would hurt the most imo would be Ole Miss. The Memphis area hasn’t been one we have really recruited that heavily in basketball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I think if Penny were hired at Memphis he’d change his commitment from Kentucky to Memphis tbh. This announcement is so far out a thousand things could happen before he signs with anyone in November. I’d love to be wrong here and he announce for us but I think he announces Kentucky tomorrow.

Banned
    vCash
    Yeah, he'll likely commit to KY early, then if the Penny/Brown situation does develop, he can always switch to Memphis if he so desires, or is talked $$$ into it.

vCash
    Oh the nuclear melt this board would have if he commits to us today only to switch to Memphis down the road...it would be of epic proportions. I suspect some of you are getting wolly just at the thought of having that reason to bitch and moan.

vCash
    When is actual signing day? Perhaps the FBI probe of which bama and Kentucky are a part, could help us out

vCash
    If Penny becomes HC, does that make Little Penny an automatic assistant?

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    I think he'd stick with KY even if Penny got the Memphis job. He's been in love with Cal & KY for a couple years. Whether people like it or not KY is considered the gateway to the NBA & Jeffries is a 1yr, 2yr max player so that's appealing to him. We need Nick & Lamar to be 1st rd draft picks next year & Perry the year after that so the elite players not just the really good players see MSU as a school that can get you to the league. They know Howland can do it but need a couple guys from MSU there for confirmation.

vCash
    I think Booker’s career ended up okay.

vCash
    Slight Hijack -

The article linked by the OP indicates that several top tier recruits play for Hardaway on both his high school team and his AAU team. In Texas, the UIL (high school athletics governing body) prevents a high school coach from coaching his/her players (or potential future players) in private/club leagues. I always assumed this was a pretty common rule throughout high school athletics, but apparently Tennessee doesn't have the same rule in place. How common is this type of high school coach contact rule? Is the situation in Texas unique?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TXDawg View Post
    Slight Hijack -

The article linked by the OP indicates that several top tier recruits play for Hardaway on both his high school team and his AAU team. In Texas, the UIL (high school athletics governing body) prevents a high school coach from coaching his/her players (or potential future players) in private/club leagues. I always assumed this was a pretty common rule throughout high school athletics, but apparently Tennessee doesn't have the same rule in place. How common is this type of high school coach contact rule? Is the situation in Texas unique?
    I don't think Penny actually coaches his AAU teams anymore, not since he got the Memphis East job. He created the program and funded a lot of it from his own pocket (and initially coached), but I am pretty sure he's not directly involved with it as much anymore, other than lending it his name.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    When is actual signing day? Perhaps the FBI probe of which bama and Kentucky are a part, could help us out
    Not until November. That’s a hell of a long time from now until then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    I think he'd stick with KY even if Penny got the Memphis job. He's been in love with Cal & KY for a couple years. Whether people like it or not KY is considered the gateway to the NBA & Jeffries is a 1yr, 2yr max player so that's appealing to him. We need Nick & Lamar to be 1st rd draft picks next year & Perry the year after that so the elite players not just the really good players see MSU as a school that can get you to the league. They know Howland can do it but need a couple guys from MSU there for confirmation.
    He’s not a one and done and certainly not a typical recruit that Cal goes after. I think Cal sees him as a key to get a leg up to get the higher level recruits in Memphis. He’s perfect for us though and hoping he selects the good guys.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    He’s not a one and done and certainly not a typical recruit that Cal goes after. I think Cal sees him as a key to get a leg up to get the higher level recruits in Memphis. He’s perfect for us though and hoping he selects the good guys.
    DJ is a top 25 kid let's not act like he's an under the radar kid. He's a big time kid. He may not be a 1 & done but he's a 2yr guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    Not until November. That’s a hell of a long time from now until then.
    The November date is the early period, the regular signing date is April 11, 2018

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
    I don't think Penny actually coaches his AAU teams anymore, not since he got the Memphis East job. He created the program and funded a lot of it from his own pocket (and initially coached), but I am pretty sure he's not directly involved with it as much anymore, other than lending it his name.
    This. He's still involved with the AAU team but isn't technically the coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bull View Post
    He may not have.....this all just blew up yesterday and today. Surprised me that Memphis would even part ways with 9.5 big ones. Don't even think Fred Smith would go along with that....but I have seen some of their attendances have even dropped below 10K for some games which is downright stupendous for this basketball crazed town. Many have said if they stick with Tubby....sales will drop even further.
    Some context on the 9.5 million:

1. The 9.5 million can be spread out over six years

2. I suspect any smith salary over the next several years can be deducted. That is a normal clause.

3. Do the math on losing 6000 fans in the seats per game, add 1,000,000+ donations for basketball that have gone down under Smith and add $800,000 at the FedEx forum no longer has to pay per year to university of Memphis due to attendance numbers. Let me know what your new thoughts are.