Thread: Who saw Pete Maravich play?

vCash

Who saw Pete Maravich play?

Since they're running the promo so often during the tournament ...

I saw him a couple of times at MSU in the Tin Gym. He was absolutely astounding ... I've never seen anyone handle the ball like he could.

Banned
    vCash
    I did.....he was a player ahead of his time. The Father of the "No-Look" pass and many of the moves today's players make came from Maravich.

vCash
    I saw Pete at the quonset hut on two occasions. He is the best I ever saw. He was breaking ground in the late 60's for the way the game is played today.....dribbling between the legs and behind the back. The no look pass. He handled a basketball like no one else I've ever seen. Over a 3 year career at LSU, he averaged over 44 ppg before the advent of the 3 point shot. If Pete had played with the three point shot, I believe that he would have averaged more than 60 points per game.

The man was an amazing basketball player and the best pure shooter I have ever seen.

vCash
    Saw him for 3 years at State, we tried to guard him with Donnie Black, no luck. He got 50 or more. We played them at Mc Carty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    Saw him for 3 years at State, we tried to guard him with Donnie Black, no luck. He got 50 or more. We played them at Mc Carty
    I saw him totally humiliate us one night but don't remember the year. I thought he scored 70 but it was more like 55-60. He dribbled the ball not only between his legs, but between our player's legs and got the ball on the other side.

vCash
    I saw him play as well. I remember the long lines waiting to get in to see him play.

Amazing doesn’t describe his ball handling skills! Never ever has there been a more entertaining college player!

vCash
    I saw him on TV when I was growing up. He could dribble and pass the ball better than anyone.

vCash
    Saw him at State three years in a row. Amazing player. One year when he entered the court some State students started throwing pennies on the court. (Not at him-just on the court) Don't know why they did this. He srugged. picked them up and took them over to the bench to keep.

vCash
    Best and most entertaining player I have ever seen.

Averaged 44 a game at LSU with no 3 point line.

Not sure who I would compare him to. He was that unique.

vCash
    He would have had many more assists but Satch apple Sanders and Fig Newton couldn't catch his no look passes. He would hit them in the head.

vCash
    I did. The dude was absolutely amazing! Unreal some of the things he could do on a basketball court.

vCash
    I saw him two times. I was a young white boy who never really saw who good B.B. players play in high school. Those slow kids, including me, in Nw ALa never ever saw such things.

Banned
    vCash
    damn, it appears there are some folk here older than my 55 yr old ass. The only true memory I have is an exhibition NBA game I went to on the MS Gulf coast back in the late 70's. or was it the early 80's? I can't remember what NBA team he was playing for (was it a New Orleans franchise?) or the team he was playing against. I can't remember if it was my late teens or early 20's (I'm 55 now).. But what I do distinctively remember was this amazingly talented fast white boy zipping around like nothing I've ever seen. cutting through shit and nobody could keep up with him. it was like size didn't matter because nobody was fast enough to get in his way with what he had already pre-planned what he was going to do before he slashed to the bucket for his layup.

vCash
    He was always wearing old socks. State fans were giving him Hell. He crossed half court flipped the bird and nailed a half court shot.

Banned
    vCash
    something has to be wrong on these NBA stats , right? some of you who are more learned on NBA stats need to help us lesser folk out> all those games, 44% beyond the arc? what about all these other stats? maybe I'm misinterpreting.

Pete Maravich
    Peter Press Maravich
    (Pistol Pete)
    Position: Shooting Guard ▪ Shoots: Right
    6-5, 197lb (196cm, 89kg)
    More bio, uniform, draft, salary info
    Hall of Fame
    5x All Star
    1976-77 Scoring Champ
    4x All-NBA
    1970-71 All-Rookie

Support us without the ads? Go Ad-Free.

SUMMARY

Career
    G

PTS

TRB

AST

FG%

FG3%

FT%

eFG%

PER

WS

vCash
    Btw, Pete's Dad was quite a character as well. I remember reading when Pete was very young, Press would put Pete out of the car and would drive beside Pete while he dribbled the ball down the road. Press was a decent recruiter but I'm sure having Pete made life easier. I fight broke out at Mccarthy Gym with Apple Sanders and one of our players Sammy ?, the two hit the floor with players rushing in along with a few students. Press rushes to the rescue and jumps on top of Apple Sanders as all hell broke out a while.
    Btw, back in the day, the old gym would seat around 5500, mostly students also, it was very loud especially ringing a well made steel cow bell. Rupp hated coming into Starkville as the students gave him hell as the roll out bleachers were right on the floor and right behind the bench. Rowdy can't describe the loudest, fun times indeed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    something has to be wrong on these NBA stats , right? some of you who are more learned on NBA stats need to help us lesser folk out> all those games, 44% beyond the arc? what about all these other stats? maybe I'm misinterpreting.

Pete Maravich
    Peter Press Maravich
    (Pistol Pete)
    Position: Shooting Guard ▪ Shoots: Right
    6-5, 197lb (196cm, 89kg)
    More bio, uniform, draft, salary info
    Hall of Fame
    5x All Star
    1976-77 Scoring Champ
    4x All-NBA
    1970-71 All-Rookie

Support us without the ads? Go Ad-Free.

SUMMARY

Career
    G

PTS

TRB

AST

FG%

FG3%

FT%

eFG%

PER

WS

Maravich was hampered in the NBA by playing on some shit-tastic teams - the Hawks, and New Orleans Jazz in the 70s. The NBA also didn?t adopt the 3 pt shot until his last season- when he was already suffering from knee injuries.

vCash
    That was Sammy Wilcutt, from Columbus. Pete did play with the Celtics at the end of His Career. Bird and Pete were fun to watch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    He was always wearing old socks. State fans were giving him Hell. He crossed half court flipped the bird and nailed a half court shot.
    Forgot about the socks. I believe those were his "lucky socks" which he wore all through college. He did wash after every game though.

vCash
    I saw Pete play several time in New Orleans with the Jazz.