Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O.T. cuz 34 OK's. Why John Bonham was Rock's greatest. Not even close.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdawg View Post
    Danny Carrey needs a mention.
    I did above.

vCash
    Purdie.

vCash
    I like Peart, but I've never been a huge fan of most prog-rock groups (though, I can handle Rush).....I just find most a tad pretentious for rock'n roll (e.g., Dream Theater; and btw, Mike Portnoy is a douche sandwich).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgInMemphis View Post
    Purdie.
    Excellent pull! His shuffle is classic.

vCash
    Rush sucks donkey balls. In spite of all that, Peart is the greatest, which is remarkable in itself considering his racial handicap (Canadian).
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Good job today guys. Somebody start a Chili Peppers thread tomorrow, an Eagles thread Tuesday, 2 Live Crew thread on Wed, and a Motley Crue one on Thursday and you will have my top 5 covered.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Danny Carrey needs a mention.
    Danny Carey is the best living drummer

vCash
    Because he plays fast?
    His ability is obviously impressive, but his creativity is makes him stand out.

vCash
    Neil Peart and it ain’t even close with anybody else.
    You hear those bells mother-fudder....an Air-RAID is coming and that is yo ass!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DogsofAnarchy View Post
    Neil Peart and it ain’t even close with anybody else.
    Based on what metric? His technical proficiency? Yeah, but there's a lot more to music than playing hard stuff perfectly...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Based on what metric? His technical proficiency? Yeah, but there's a lot more to music than playing hard stuff perfectly...
    I agree with the last part, but Neil does a lot more than just play perfectly.

vCash
    A coworker told me about the injustice being perpetrated here by some well-meaning but horribly-misguided fellow Bulldog fans. To combat this evil, register I shall.

Let us be very, very clear about one thing: to the question of who the greatest rock drummer of all-time is, there is only one possible right answer. It's not subjective. Not a bit. Not even for a single second.

It's John Bonham. Bonzo. The GOAT before he was born, the GOAT while he lived, and GOAT he shall always be.

vCash
    Do a google image search for Neil Peart drum kit and you will see why so many of us are in awe of him.
    One of the really cool elements of the R40 tour was the "deconstruction" of the band. They played their set from newest music to oldest, removing equipment and striping down the stage until at the end it was Neil, 2 kick basses, a couple of toms, a snare and 3-4 cymbals. The sound was just as crisp, complex, and complete as any other part of the concert. It showed how he could still bang it out whether he was at an 8 piece kit or a 200 piece kit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtracheesed View Post
    A coworker told me about the injustice being perpetrated here by some well-meaning but horribly-misguided fellow Bulldog fans. To combat this evil, register I shall.

Let us be very, very clear about one thing: to the question of who the greatest rock drummer of all-time is, there is only one possible right answer. It's not subjective. Not a bit. Not even for a single second.

It's John Bonham. Bonzo. The GOAT before he was born, the GOAT while he lived, and GOAT he shall always be.
    I like the new guy
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Excellent pull! His shuffle is classic.
    Agreed...strong answer. You put him and pre- (or post?) addiction Gadd in a blender...you'd have something.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtracheesed View Post
    Agreed...strong answer. You put him and pre- (or post?) addiction Gadd in a blender...you'd have something.
    Yep. Btw, is your name a reference to a hybrid rudiment?

vCash
    Need to break the drummers down in to categories because "rock" can be broken down into 50+ genres itself. And you can't really compare the drumming of someone like Ringo to the drumming of Joey Jordison. What are we looking for in "greatest" rock drummer? For me it's as much about being original and creative and having your own distinct style of play as it is playing difficult things. I've seen drummers play fast as hell but struggled with slow songs. Ringo isn't one of my favorites, but I respect him because he played his music perfectly and I don't mean that in a technical way, he just played exactly what needed to be played on each song. To me you're great when a song comes on the radio and you know who's playing drums even before you know what band it is. This is what separates the Pearts, Barkers, Carreys, Hawkins and Ringos of the world.

vCash
    Need to break the drummers down in to categories because "rock" can be broken down into 50+ genres itself. And you can't really compare the drumming of someone like Ringo to the drumming of Joey Jordison. What are we looking for in "greatest" rock drummer? For me it's as much about being original and creative and having your own distinct style of play as it is playing difficult things. I've seen drummers play fast as hell but struggled with slow songs. Ringo isn't one of my favorites, but I respect him because he played his music perfectly and I don't mean that in a technical way, he just played exactly what needed to be played on each song. To me you're great when a song comes on the radio and you know who's playing drums even before you know what band it is. This is what separates the Pearts, Barkers, Carreys, Hawkins and Ringos of the world.
    Great post.

vCash
    Yep. Btw, is your name a reference to a hybrid rudiment?
    Nope, nothing that clever.

vCash
    The cool thing about drummers though, is that even "simple" guys like Ringo can have huge influences:

And I can't believe I left Stewart Copeland off my list - so I revise mine:

1) Peart
    -gap-
    2) Bonham
    3) Copeland
    -gap-
    everyone else