Nice thread. I don't believe John Bonham's importance to drumming and rock music can be overstated. He was a HUGE influence on me as I was learning my way around a drum set. Staying away from studio legends like Steve Gadd and Jim Keltner, I think a few others deserve mention: Stewart Copeland, Tim "Herb" Alexander, Rob Hirst, Glenn Kotche, Jeff "Apt Q-258" Sipe, Alan White, Zigaboo (funk-rock), Steve Smith, Jeff Porcaro. Drummers like Keith Moon, Ginger Baker and Carter Beauford really don't do much for me (again personally). They're incredible drummers. But even in rock and roll - a GROOVE is essential. Bonham had power, grace, speed, precision and a groove that was a mile wide. A rock band's dream drummer, severe alcoholism aside. I don't categorize Neil Peart as a "rock drummer". He's so unique that I just refer to him as "Rush's Drummer". A childhood hero of mine. Bizarre approach, killer single stroke speed, impeccable musicality, great songwriter but limited from a hand/foot coordination standpoint. That coordination isn't all that important in rock music...but I've seen him attempt jazz and it was a little scary. Put a Zigaboo linear groove in front of him and he may fall off the drum throne.