Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O.T. cuz 34 OK's. Why John Bonham was Rock's greatest. Not even close.

Banned
    vCash

O.T. cuz 34 OK's. Why John Bonham was Rock's greatest. Not even close.

Good video of a knowledgeable guy explaining why. No wonder after his death, there was no more Led Zeppelin.. Just Page / Plant. Kinda lengthy (9 minutes) but worth the time if you like Zep.

vCash
    Ginger Baker might have something to say about that...**

Banned
    vCash
    Here's an even better take.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    Here's an even better take.

Heroin. LSD?

vCash
    All Zeppelin threads allowed on main page for a day
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Banned
    vCash
    Here's a good run down on a top 10 opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    Here's a good run down on a top 10 opinion.

Interesting list. I'm not a huge fan of MatchMojo's videos, tbh....particularly their movie ranking vids....

That being said, we can quibble on the order of some of these guys, but they at least had several deserving drummers in their list. Good to see Stewart Copeland in there. He's insanely underrated.

I hate to say it, but Dave Grohl doesn't belong on this list, and I'd bet money he'd say the same thing (he worships Bonzo, btw). I absolutely love Grohl; one of my favorite people, and one of the great rock front men. Some would say the same about Phil Collins, who like Grohl, is a far better front man and singer/songwriter than he is a "rock drummer", but Collins, unlike Grohl, is an extremely musical drummer, and a more of a well rounded 'percussionist' (in his compositions, phrasings, and style).

Moon is overrated, as usual.

vCash
    Bully 13 are you Rosebowl?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Bully 13 are you Rosebowl?
    uhhh, no, but would be interested to know why you ask.

vCash
    It's all subjective. Bonham was great but I don't consider him "the" greatest and not even top 10 though I think he deserves a ton of praise. There's just so many drummers out there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdawg View Post
    It's all subjective. There's just so many drummers out there.
    Yep.

Carter Beauford, Danny Carey, Bill Ward, Mick Fleetwood, Jeff Porcaro, Simon Phillips, Billy Cobham, and on and on....

And I didn't even include studio drummers....

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Yep.

Carter Beauford, Danny Carey, Bill Ward, Mick Fleetwood, Jeff Porcaro, Simon Phillips, Billy Cobham, and on and on....

And I didn't even include studio drummers....
    to not have Mick Fleetwood on that top 10 list is insane. One my favorite "drum songs" is Go Your Own Way. I met him once at the Nashville airport back in the early 90's. dude's tall as shit.

I told him the first album as a kid that I bought with my own money was Rumours and that I was from Greenwood in the Miss Delta. He asked if I liked Robert Johnson and I said yea I lived about 15 miles or so where he sold his soul to the devil. He said "wow, that is so cool!". nice guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Interesting list. I'm not a huge fan of MatchMojo's videos, tbh....particularly their movie ranking vids....

That being said, we can quibble on the order of some of these guys, but they at least had several deserving drummers in their list. Good to see Stewart Copeland in there. He's insanely underrated.

I hate to say it, but Dave Grohl doesn't belong on this list, and I'd bet money he'd say the same thing (he worships Bonzo, btw). I absolutely love Grohl; one of my favorite people, and one of the great rock front men. Some would say the same about Phil Collins, who like Grohl, is a far better front man and singer/songwriter than he is a "rock drummer", but Collins, unlike Grohl, is an extremely musical drummer, and a more of a well rounded 'percussionist' (in his compositions, phrasings, and style).

Moon is overrated, as usual.
    Agree with everything said ^^^ Moon is ranked way too high and Peart too Low. For me it's Bonham/Peart and Peart/Bonham 1A and 1A.

Banned
    vCash
    Peart's a bad ass.

vCash
    Danny Carrey needs a mention.

vCash
    1) Peart
    2) Bonham

3) Everyone else

vCash
    Eloy Casagrande and the guy from Slipknot are among the best drummers to have ever played in metal, rock, or anything else. Dave Lombardo's legendary status is comparable to Bonham's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Eloy Casagrande and the guy from Slipknot are among the best drummers to have ever played in metal, rock, or anything else. Dave Lombardo's legendary status is comparable to Bonham's.
    I like Joey from Slipknot but I think he's a little overrated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdawg View Post
    I like Joey from Slipknot but I think he's a little overrated.
    I'm not a Sliptnot fan but that guy is phenomenal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    I'm not a Sliptnot fan but that guy is phenomenal.
    Because he plays fast?