Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    I loved the Braves when I was younger, Chipper Jones was my fav player. I remember always coming home and watching the Braves on TBS every single time they played.

Since Chip retired after that WC game against St Louis my Braves fandom fell off big time.

So as a guy whos trying to get back into it, somebody give me the run down of this team. I know Freeman, Tehran, Inciarte, Markakis other than that Im pretty lost.

I know we got Jacob Lindgren, is he in the majors or minors?
    For now, know these:
    Sean Newcomb - big young pitcher with talent. Sort of Jon Lester-ish. Needs to cut down on the walks to truly be effective in the majors.
    Luiz Gohara - 7 mentioned him. Extremely young, huge talent, we'll see if he can stay healthy.
    Mike Foltynewicz - big hard-throwing RH SP. Still young and has shown flashes, needs to be consistent but could be a very good SP.

Dansby Swanson - I'd assume you know about him. Former #1 pick from Vandy, SS. Struggled last year but still has plenty of talent.
    Ozzie Albies - very young, extremely talented 2B. Could play SS if needed. Will hit, sort of Altuve-ish, though without that kind of power.

Don't worry about anybody else on the major league roster. But here are the names you'll need to know soon:
    Ronald Acuna - look out. OF, #1 prospect in baseball, massive stud at 20 years old. Will be up soon, and will hit, run, field, throw...can do it all. Huge power.
    Kyle Wright - top draft pick last year, #5 overall, maybe the most talented kid in the draft. SP from Vandy, could move fast.
    Mike Soroka - SP. Maybe not elite stuff or velocity, but phenomenal command. Will likely be up at some point this year, has dominated in the minors.
    Ian Anderson - SP. #3 overall pick in 2016 out of HS, has really, really good stuff and pitched well last year. Could move quickly this year.
    Cristian Pache - 19 year old CF. Incredible defensive player, phenomenal athlete. Still learning to hit, will be in A+/AA this year.
    Joey Wentz - SP. 1st round talent, 20 years old, pitched very well last year. Will likely hit AA this year.
    Alex Jackson - C. HUGE power. Questions on his ability to stick behind the plate, but can really hit and some say his defense is fine back there. 22 years old, will be in AA/AAA.
    Touki Toussaint - SP. Insane talent. Has had real problems with command and control, but started to figure it out last year. If he hits, he's an ace. Could still be an elite RP even if he doesn't.
    Drew Waters - OF, 1st round pick last year. Will be in A-ball.
    Bryse Wilson - another SP. 20 years old, he's been better than first thought so far, fantastic minor league numbers. Will be in A+/AA this year.

Those are the names to know as of now. And we'll draft 8th this year, so we'll add somebody else soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Lindgren was up and throwing in the brave bullpen. I thought he was still injured.
    He had Tommy John surgery about 1 1/2 years ago. He has also been brought along slowly. I read something on him starting to throw either at the end of last year or beginning of this year. It will be nice to have a MSU guy to cheer for. I wish Maholm had been better so he could have hung around longer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1 View Post
    Reports say Acuna turned down $30M extension from Braves. Sounds like he’s betting on himself showing out.
    Smart man. Sucks for braves though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    For now, know these:
    Sean Newcomb - big young pitcher with talent. Sort of Jon Lester-ish. Needs to cut down on the walks to truly be effective in the majors.
    Luiz Gohara - 7 mentioned him. Extremely young, huge talent, we'll see if he can stay healthy.
    Mike Foltynewicz - big hard-throwing RH SP. Still young and has shown flashes, needs to be consistent but could be a very good SP.

Dansby Swanson - I'd assume you know about him. Former #1 pick from Vandy, SS. Struggled last year but still has plenty of talent.
    Ozzie Albies - very young, extremely talented 2B. Could play SS if needed. Will hit, sort of Altuve-ish, though without that kind of power.

Don't worry about anybody else on the major league roster. But here are the names you'll need to know soon:
    Ronald Acuna - look out. OF, #1 prospect in baseball, massive stud at 20 years old. Will be up soon, and will hit, run, field, throw...can do it all. Huge power.
    Kyle Wright - top draft pick last year, #5 overall, maybe the most talented kid in the draft. SP from Vandy, could move fast.
    Mike Soroka - SP. Maybe not elite stuff or velocity, but phenomenal command. Will likely be up at some point this year, has dominated in the minors.
    Ian Anderson - SP. #3 overall pick in 2016 out of HS, has really, really good stuff and pitched well last year. Could move quickly this year.
    Cristian Pache - 19 year old CF. Incredible defensive player, phenomenal athlete. Still learning to hit, will be in A+/AA this year.
    Joey Wentz - SP. 1st round talent, 20 years old, pitched very well last year. Will likely hit AA this year.
    Alex Jackson - C. HUGE power. Questions on his ability to stick behind the plate, but can really hit and some say his defense is fine back there. 22 years old, will be in AA/AAA.
    Touki Toussaint - SP. Insane talent. Has had real problems with command and control, but started to figure it out last year. If he hits, he's an ace. Could still be an elite RP even if he doesn't.
    Bryse Wilson - another SP. 20 years old, he's been better than first thought so far, fantastic minor league numbers. Will be in A+/AA this year.

Those are the names to know as of now. And we'll draft 8th this year, so we'll add somebody else soon.
    Good breakdown.

Remember the last "acuna like" prospect we had was heyward. And while he wasn't a bust he never was able to sustain any real long term success because he failed to make crucial adjustments which still hinders him today.

Before him was frenchy...busted onto the scene and had a couple nice-really good season but didn't take to coaching and failed to make adjustments.

Same deal with bethancourt and the tall can't miss switch hitting Latin middle infielder from several years back...went from top prospect to not much pretty quick but his name escapes me. ETA: Wilson betemit. Anybody remember George Lombard? Point being, not all these guys are gonna hit and be studds...don't need em too. But the front office is going to really have to make the correct decisions on who to trade and who to believe in and keep around. Bursting into the scene doesn't equal long term success. Coachability and making adjustments are the name of the game to sustain big league success.

vCash
    And no matter how this year turns out I really hope the front office doesn't make a wainwright for JD drew type trade. Prolly the worst deal shuerholz ever made.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    And no matter how this year turns out I really hope the front office doesn't make a wainwright for JD drew type trade. Prolly the worst deal shuerholz ever made.
    You didn't like trading an Allstar level starting pitcher for what ended up being an average at best Outfielder? ****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    You didn't like trading an Allstar level starting pitcher for what ended up being an average at best Outfielder? ****
    Drew had a really good year for the braves...really good. But that was it!! 1 year!!!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    For now, know these:

I would add Austin Riley to that list as well. He's going to be a stud; may get some looks this season at 3rd.

vCash
    You forget about Texeria?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    That trade was basically Andrus for texeiria. Feliz may have been involved as well. I didn't mind that one because the braves had control for more than one year and thought they had a shot to sign him long term. I never was a big Tex fan but that move made a little more sense. But the braves def could have used a guy like andrus over the years.

vCash
    I block him out for the sheer reason that he was great then goes to the Yankees.

vCash
    Guess the only drama for opening day is who starts at 3b? I go with Ryan Flaherty

vCash
    Guess the only drama for opening day is who starts at 3b? I go with Ryan Flaherty
    MLB.com is predicting Ruiz at 3rd but who knows. We haven't had a good 3rd baseman since Prado.

vCash
    MLB.com is predicting Ruiz at 3rd but who knows. We haven't had a good 3rd baseman since Prado.
    I think camargo will be ok if he can stay healthy. Beginning to wonder if he is accident prone. Now that I think about it, Ruiz probably is more likely... got a prospect up, so might as well play him

vCash
    I think camargo will be ok if he can stay healthy. Beginning to wonder if he is accident prone. Now that I think about it, Ruiz probably is more likely... got a prospect up, so might as well play him
    Camargo won't be back until April 6th at the earliest so who knows. Flaherty gives a little more leeway with Camargo being hurt. I have thought that Camargo would be the future utility guy if Riley comes up at 3rd. He can play pretty much every position in the infield but catcher which makes him pretty valuable to have on the bench.

vCash
    Camargo won't be back until April 6th at the earliest so who knows. Flaherty gives a little more leeway with Camargo being hurt. I have thought that Camargo would be the future utility guy if Riley comes up at 3rd. He can play pretty much every position in the infield but catcher which makes him pretty valuable to have on the bench.
    I like camargo. Hopefully he can continue to hit with pop like last season

vCash
    If he produces like he did last year he will be an everyday starter.

vCash
    Who is this Pache kid? Has 2 homers tonite. Is he at Pearl or Rome>

vCash
    Who is this Pache kid? Has 2 homers tonite. Is he at Pearl or Rome>
    Rome last season. I am sure it will be Florida this year, but could be miss. He will have an acuna like blow up this season imo. He has an mlb ready glove right now in CF. Projected to develop a good bit of power... suprisingly, tonight he has not hit a hr in a MiLB game in his career, and got 2 off an mlb pitcher
    Last edited by msstate7; 03-27-2018 at 08:42 PM.

vCash
    Kiley McDaniel

@kileymcd
    55s56 seconds ago
    More
    For those asking, Kyle Muller hit 97 last night on scouts guns as well, worked mostly 94-97. And as if the results weren?t enough evidence, Cristian Pache has made a swing change.