Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Songs that get too much airplay on Classic Rock Stations

Banned
    vCash

Songs that get too much airplay on Classic Rock Stations

not in any particular order of suckness

Styx--Renegade, Blue Collar Man--in fact, Come Sail Away is the only thing they ever did worth a shit

whoever in the 17 sings that "There Must be Some Misunderstanding"

whoever in the 17 sings that "Hold the Line"

Huey Lewis should NEVER be played on a Classic Rock Station

Kansas--Carry on Wayward Son & Dust in the Wind

that's a start

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post

Styx--Renegade, Blue Collar Man--in fact, Come Sail Away is the only thing they ever did worth a shit

that's a start
    Anything by Journey...Yeah, I said it.

also...The Dude said it best...

Banned
    vCash
    Never been a huge Eagles fan. I consider them somewhat generic. I will admit though, saw 'em when I was 18 and don't think I've ever seen a group produce their songs to that degree of perfection on stage. I like a few Joe Walsh solo songs.

vCash
    Never been a huge Eagles fan. I consider them somewhat generic. I will admit though, saw 'em when I was 18 and don't think I've ever seen a group produce their songs to that degree of perfection on stage. I like a few Joe Walsh solo songs.
    I am not much of an Eagles fan either but those guys harmonize about as well as anyone ever.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Dude, this thread could be massive. And divisive. Other than maybe (maybe) the Beatles, every "classic rock" band's got at least a couple of songs that have been overplayed for decades. Here we go:

"Bad Company" by Bad Company

"Turn the Page," "Like a Rock," and "Night Moves" by Bob Seger

"Simple Man," "That Smell," "Sweet Home Alabama," "What's Your Name" by Lynyrd Skynyrd

"All Along the Watchtower" by Hendrix

"Heartbreaker," "Living Loving Maid," "Immigrant Song," "Kashmir," "Whole Lotta Love" by Zeppelin (man, I hate "Living Loving Maid")

"Young Lust" by Pink Floyd (that song should never, ever, ever be played on the radio unless it's part of an uninterrupted broadcast of The Wall in its entirety; stripped from context -- and, hell, even in context to a degree -- it's just awful)

"Start Me Up" and "Angie" by the Stones

"Rockin into the Night" by .38 Special

"Back in the Saddle" by Aerosmith (I honestly don't care for most of their songs, but this was the first one to jump into my head that needs to go)

"Rock'n Me" and "Take the Money and Run" by Steve Miller

"Up on Cripple Creek" by the Band

"Cocaine" and "Wonderful Tonight" by Clapton

And, as Beardo already mentioned, most songs by the Eagles.

That's all I got off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's plenty more.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post
    Dude, this thread could be massive. And divisive. Other than maybe (maybe) the Beatles, every "classic rock" band's got at least a couple of songs that have been overplayed for decades. Here we go:

"Simple Man," "That Smell," "Sweet Home Alabama," "What's Your Name" by Lynyrd Skynyrd

"Heartbreaker," "Living Loving Maid," "Immigrant Song," "Kashmir," "Whole Lotta Love" by Zeppelin (man, I hate "Living Loving Maid")

"Young Lust" by Pink Floyd (that song should never, ever, ever be played on the radio unless it's part of an uninterrupted broadcast of The Wall in its entirety; stripped from context -- and, hell, even in context to a degree -- it's just awful)

"Back in the Saddle" by Aerosmith (I honestly don't care for most of their songs, but this was the first one to jump into my head that needs to go)

I guess I should have titled it songs that suck and shouldn't be played classic rock stations.

how anybody doesn't like Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower is amazing. fantastic song.

love me some Bad Company. should play Silver Blue and Gold more though.

like Simple Man, but it needs to be 50 / 50 with Tuesday's Gone which is one of their best songs, Love me some Skynyrd

Be careful bashing Zep, 34 might ban you

plenty of other Clapton songs to play other than cocaine and wonderful night--agreed

don't really HATE Steve Miller, but maybe they do overplay

old Aerosmith is good. never understood the reason the Rocks album blew up like it did. their new shit is awful. their 1st album (Dream On) , Toys in the Attic, and Get Your Wings are 3 very solid albums . Get Your Wings has their best song in my opinion "Seasons of the Wither" which I've never heard once on the radio.

Love me some The Band--disagree with you there

.38 Special has some good songs but Rockin' into the Night isn't one of them--agreed

The Stones are my favorite band. "Start me Up" is a good song but they've got much better. not enough Exile and Beggars on the radio from the Stones.

The Wall is one of the best albums (still prefer Darkside) never cared for Young Lust or Brick in the Wall. too many other great songs on that album to be playing those. Comfortably Numb is more my style.

vCash
    I guess I should have titled it songs that suck and shouldn't be played classic rock stations.

how anybody doesn't like Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower is amazing. fantastic song.

love me some Bad Company. should play Silver Blue and Gold more though.

like Simple Man, but it needs to be 50 / 50 with Tuesday's Gone which is one of their best songs, Love me some Skynyrd

Be careful bashing Zep, 34 might ban you

plenty of other Clapton songs to play other than cocaine and wonderful night--agreed

don't really HATE Steve Miller, but maybe they do overplay

old Aerosmith is good. never understood the reason the Rocks album blew up like it did. their new shit is awful. their 1st album (Dream On) , Toys in the Attic, and Get Your Wings are 3 very solid albums . Get Your Wings has their best song in my opinion "Seasons of the Wither" which I've never heard once on the radio.

Love me some The Band--disagree with you there

.38 Special has some good songs but Rockin' into the Night isn't one of them--agreed

The Stones are my favorite band. "Start me Up" is a good song but they've got much better. not enough Exile and Beggars on the radio from the Stones.

The Wall is one of the best albums (still prefer Darkside) never cared for Young Lust or Brick in the Wall. too many other great songs on that album to be playing those. Comfortably Numb is more my style.
    My list is a mix of songs/bands that I both like and dislike. I like Zeppelin, Hendrix, and the Band, for example, and I'm a Pink Floyd zealot. (Though Zeppelin hasn't aged as well with me as some other bands for some reason.) But, dude, do I really need to hear the back-to-back "Heartbreaker/Living Loving Made" combo or "Whole Lotta Love" again? Where's the BBC version of "Dazed and Confused"? And why do I hear "Since I've Been Loving You" so little? "Good Times Bad Times"? "Bring it On Home"? "What is and What Should Never Be"? Those songs are all as good or better than "Living Loving Maid" or "Kashmir" or whatever, but they're often relegated to random "deep cut" sessions. And the same is true of the Band, Hendrix, the Floyd, and so on. It's like the corporate radio overlords (does Clear Channel still own most of these stations?) refuse to acknowledge the existence of 75% of most bands' back catalog. And we're not talking obscure cuts from obscure, fan-only records. Axis Bold As Love, Music from Big Pink, Animals, and so on and on. These were chart-topping or critically acclaimed classics in the UK and the USA back in the day, but you'd never know it by their lack of air play on "classic rock" radio.

Oh, here's another: "NIB" by Black Sabbath. The record that comes from -- Black Sabbath's self-title debut -- is outstanding, but that song, which is not close to the best on its album, is played way too much.

vCash

that's a start
    "There Must be Some Misunderstanding" is Genesis

"Hold the Line" is Toto

My personal "played too much" list:

Stairway to Heaven - LZ: Yes, it is played too much. Its the most played song ever

Anything by Drivin' n Cryin' - they don't deserve any airtime

Sweet Home Alabama - I can name a half dozen other Skynrd songs I'd rather hear every 15 minutes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post

Lol, some good ones in there.

I forgot all about Aerosmith.....I ****ing hate Aerosmith. I don't know what it is about them, but I really dislike them. The J.T. Show on Supertalk probably has a little to do with it (**** you J.T.!). The only song I'll tolerate is "Dude looks like a lady", and that's only because of Mrs. Doubtfire, lol.

I actually don't hear much Seger, outside of Turn the Page. That's my dad's favorite song, so I always like hearing it, but I'll agree it's a tad overplayed.

I love Clapton. I actually wish radios would play more Cream; you typically only hear White Room or Sunshine of your Love....they need to play some Strange Brew, Crossroads, and Toad. So many great songs.

Outside of Satisfaction, Paint it Black, and Jumpin' Jack Flash, I'm not a huge Stones fan....

And you're right about the Beatles....if anything, they don't get played enough. I feel like I rarely hear them on the radio. I hear solo stuff from Lennon, Paul (esp. Wings), and George (What is Life is one of my all time favorite songs), but not much Beatles.

vCash
    For the Tom Jones haters, lol...

Banned
    vCash
    I like Tom Jones AND Elvis.

and yes, when it comes to Zeppelin, why no Rover? Not enough Bring it on Home... Zep III..tangerine and shit... I really like that Street Corner Girl tune too

Banned
    vCash
    Being that I really dig MS Blues, I really enjoy George Thorogood's covers of Bo Didley & John Lee Hooker. Who Do you Love? and One Bourbon, one Scotch & One Beer.

Side 2 of Abbey Road is a masterpiece. the only thing you ever hear these days is Here Comes the Sun from that side.

if you are a fan of MS Delta Blues, you would also like Beggar's Banquet. good stuff.

Loving Cup is their best song in my opinion and that one comes from Exile.

Let it Rain--Clapton-- and he had some good ones with what was it, Bonnie and Delaney? something like that? Crossroads is KILLER.

Banned
    vCash
    OH MY GOD...Has ANYONE ever seen this? Eric Clapton (Derek and the Dominoes), Carl Perkins & Johnny Cash? first Clapton and crew play a good song then for the 2nd song, Johnny & Carl come on stage and they Let it Rip. WOW.

vCash
    OH MY GOD...Has ANYONE ever seen this? Eric Clapton (Derek and the Dominoes), Carl Perkins & Johnny Cash? first Clapton and crew play a good song then for the 2nd song, Johnny & Carl come on stage and they Let it Rip. WOW.

Word.

Banned
    vCash
    that was just so damn awesome. you can really find some cool shit on you tube.

I once had an album back in the early 80's titled "Muddy and the Wolfe" was Muddy Waters & Howling Wolfe Jamming with Eric Clapton . it was bad ass. "highway 49".. I need to go you tube that to bring back those teenage memories. good shit indeed.

vCash
    that was just so damn awesome. you can really find some cool shit on you tube.

I once had an album back in the early 80's titled "Muddy and the Wolfe" was Muddy Waters & Howling Wolfe Jamming with Eric Clapton . it was bad ass. "highway 49".. I need to go you tube that to bring back those teenage memories. good shit indeed.
    Clapton and BB on "Riding with the King" was pretty cool too.

vCash
    Stopped at the store last night to pick up some things on my way home. While I was picking out bananas, I realized that "Smoke on the Water" was playing the background over the store's intercom system. I thought of this thread and laughed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    And you're right about the Beatles....if anything, they don't get played enough. I feel like I rarely hear them on the radio. I hear solo stuff from Lennon, Paul (esp. Wings), and George (What is Life is one of my all time favorite songs), but not much Beatles.
    Side 2 of Abbey Road is a masterpiece. the only thing you ever hear these days is Here Comes the Sun from that side.
    The Beatles are probably the best example of a band whose catalog's near-unanimous critical and commercial success is entirely out of whack with current "classic rock" radio. Even if you relegate the pre-Rubber Soul stuff to "oldies" fare, there are seven entire albums' worth of stuff (well, maybe six and a half, if you filter out some of the duds on the second disc of the White Album) that merit much, much more air play than they get. You'd like to think that it wouldn't be too hard to replace every third spin of freaking "Night Moves" or "Abracadabra" or "We're an American Band" with "You Never Give Me Your Money" or "She's Leaving Home" or "I'm Only Sleeping" or "Hey Bulldog," but who knows.

And 13, I'm with you on Abbey Road. It's my favorite Beatles' album, start to finish, but the second-half song cycle is especially strong.

vCash
    "Carry on Wayward Son" by Kansas. One play per year is enough.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty Dispatch View Post
    "Carry on Wayward Son" by Kansas. One play per year is enough.
    agreed. maybe reduce it to zero? LOL

you've got songs like loving cup (their best song in my opinion that's never seen airwaves) , torn and frayed (that I've never heard on the radio either), no expectations (never heard that one on the radio), Sweet Virginia (maybe banned due to the lyrics of having "have to wipe the shit right off your shoes"? kinda ironic since the GD and SOB is OK by FCC rules.