Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Songs that get too much airplay on Classic Rock Stations

vCash
    Bob Dylan. Great songwriter, horrible performer. Play any of the 3 thousand artist who covered his songs because the cover is better 100% of the time and GNR “Knockin on Heaven’s Door” is included in that assertion

vCash
    Bob Dylan. Great songwriter, horrible performer. Play any of the 3 thousand artist who covered his songs because the cover is better 100% of the time and GNR “Knockin on Heaven’s Door” is included in that assertion

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    saw Dylan in Madison Square Garden in '86. I've never left a concert more disappointed. one of my favorites, Positively 4th Street. I didn't even know that was what he was playing till it was around 1/2 way through. all he wants to do is play the songs as fast as he can and get the 17 off stage. he's had the media kiss his ass for so long I guess he's got this attitude that he can do whatever he wants and 17 his fans that made him rich. The best thing about the show was to everyone's surprise, Tom Petty joined him about 1/2 through the show and played and sang with him for the remainder.

Having said that, his studio work is amongst my favorite stuff and still listen regularly. The only cover I would consider that topped his original was Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower.

Positively 4th Street, Stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again, Knocking on Heaven's Door (gotta admit GNR version kicks ass), It ain't me babe, don't think twice it's all right,
    Like a rolling stone, Highway 61, Tangled up in Blue, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues, She's Mine.

Greatest song writer of all time. hands down and it's not close.

Banned
    vCash
    And I'd bet Dylan never goes back to Mexico to vacation. I've always loved this one. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    all he wants to do is play the songs as fast as he can and get the 17 off stage.
    Sadly, a lot of singers/bands are like this now....

If you ever have a chance, go to a Foo Fighters concert. They are the epitome of a big time rock band. They play for a legit 2.5-3 hours, they love what they do, and they put on a great show. They are like a throw-back rock band. There's no contemporary group like 'em, IMO.

We've seen them 4 times so far, and we've got tickets to see them this summer at Fenway....yeah, that's gonna be bad ass.

Banned
    vCash
    thanks for the tip Beard. I've heard of them but had never heard any of their songs. I went to you tube to check them out. not my style but at least I know who they are and what they sound like. but your right, at least they like performing and want to give their fans a good show while enjoying what they do. even though I may not dig their music, I do respect them.

as far as alternatives from my norms, I like a few Nirvana songs (entertain us, don't have a gun) wide spread panic (cuz I also like allman bros, greatful dead) and I really dig that Live song Lightening strikes; really like how phish covered my favorite stones song "Loving Cup" heard a few other phish songs that were good too

Banned
    vCash
    Exile on Main Street is not only one of Rock's greatest albums, it has a little interesting history behind it. After battling their drug busts, jail, court , and the media hounding them and shit, they got the 17 out of England and headed to the south of France where they could chill out, not be paranoid and hounded by the media and simply clear their heads where they could put together the double album. One of my all time favorites is Loving Cup. There's some real cool you tube clips of them putting the songs together while down there.

Here's a Loving Cup clip that has poor audio & video but I think it's pretty cool cuz it shows 'em having a good time and you can kinda see from their expressions that they know they're putting together some really good shit. lyrics provided. well written song in my opinion.

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.
    I'm the plowman in the valley with a face full of mud.
    Yes, I'm fumbling and I know my car don't start.
    Yes, I'm stumbling and I know I play a bad guitar.
    Give me little drink from your loving cup.
    Just one drink and I'll fall down drunk.
    I'm the man who walks the hillside in the sweet summer sun.
    I'm the man that brings you roses when you ain't got none.
    Well I can run and jump and fish, but I won't fight
    You if you want to push and pull with me all night.
    Give me little drink from you loving cup.
    I feel so humble with you tonight,
    Just sitting in front of the fire.
    See your face dancing in the flame,
    Feel your mouth kissing me again,
    What a beautiful buzz, what a beautiful buzz,
    What a beautiful buzz, what a beautiful buzz.
    Oh, what a beautiful buzz, what a beautiful buzz.
    Yes, I am nitty gritty and my shirt's all torn,
    But I would love to spill the beans with you till dawn.
    Give me little drink from your loving cup.

Banned
    vCash
    I thought these guys were pretty good. too bad their lyrics were just to0 generic. April Wine--I like to Rock

I think these guys could have had some decent success if they just could had someone who could write some creative lyrics.

Last edited by Bully13; 03-11-2018 at 01:45 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    Please tell me what happened to this song on the air waives. The Pretenders.

vCash
    "Touch Me" The Doors.
    Way too much of a "Tom Jones does Vegas" sound to it for my taste.
    A song that is rarely played but should be? Dylan's "Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again".
    "Oh the Rag Man he draws circles, up and down the block. I'd ask him what the matter was but I know that he don't talk."

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphus Raymond View Post
    "Touch Me" The Doors.
    Way too much of a "Tom Jones does Vegas" sound to it for my taste.
    A song that is rarely played but should be? Dylan's "Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again".
    "Oh the Rag Man he draws circles, up and down the block. I'd ask him what the matter was but I know that he don't talk."
    Lol, dolphus, I like Tom Jones AND touch me. I've often wondered how cool it would have been had Frank Sinatra covered Touch Me.

Spot on with stuck inside of mobile. Just like tom thumbs blues, she's mine, positively 4th street...I could go on and on about lack of airplay on Dylan.

vCash
    1. Barracuda
    2. Barracuda
    3. Anything after 1980

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner34 View Post
    1. Barracuda
    2. Barracuda
    3. Anything after 1980
    This is the only Heart song I care to hear....

and only because...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Sadly, a lot of singers/bands are like this now....

If you ever have a chance, go to a Foo Fighters concert. They are the epitome of a big time rock band. They play for a legit 2.5-3 hours, they love what they do, and they put on a great show. They are like a throw-back rock band. There's no contemporary group like 'em, IMO.

We've seen them 4 times so far, and we've got tickets to see them this summer at Fenway....yeah, that's gonna be bad ass.
    RHCP still puts on a great show too. Saw them about a year ago and they played almost 3 hours full tilt. It was funny how the crowd had changed though. I saw them in Jacksonville, and it was almost like a family show (I admit I took my teenage kids). Last time I had seen them was '89 in the Roxy in Buckhead, with a full on mosh pit. Needless to say, that crowd was much more entertaining.

Banned
    vCash
    Who is RHCP and what is a mosh pit?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    Who is RHCP and what is a mosh pit?
    Red Hot Chili Peppers

and this is a mosh....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    RHCP still puts on a great show too. Saw them about a year ago and they played almost 3 hours full tilt. It was funny how the crowd had changed though. I saw them in Jacksonville, and it was almost like a family show (I admit I took my teenage kids). Last time I had seen them was '89 in the Roxy in Buckhead, with a full on mosh pit. Needless to say, that crowd was much more entertaining.
    I agree about RHCP, just totally forgot about them. I saw them back in 2001 or 2002 in New Orleans (Snoop Dogg opened for them, lol), and they were great. They played in Boston last year, and we were planning on going, but other plans came up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    I agree about RHCP, just totally forgot about them. I saw them back in 2001 or 2002 in New Orleans (Snoop Dogg opened for them, lol), and they were great. They played in Boston last year, and we were planning on going, but other plans came up.
    I was pleasantly surprised. Anthony and Flea still have a ton of energy on stage - which most guys in their mid-50s don't have. Jagger and Buddy Guy are about the only 2 artists I've seen live in their 50s who could really still bring it like they were in their early 20s. Oddly - it was at the same show - Stones Steel Wheels Tour at Grant Field in ATL in '89. Buddy Guy climbed the damn lighting tower over the stage and played from the top. Dude was unreal.

vCash
    good thread- a few things from me:

1. Agreed that other artists sign Dylan's songs better than him. Hendrix doing Like a Rolling Stone is greatness.
    2. Agree that Zepp doesnt get enough of their songs played. They have about 25 songs that should be played- but radio plays the same 5-6 over and over.
    3. Disagree on Heart- Ann's voice is awesome and none of it gets old
    4. Bad Company, Boston, and some others have absolutely been driven into the ground.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is