Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monte Lee - Clemson Baseball Coach

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Vandy has an advantage in being able to offer a degree that looks better than the majority of the SEC which in turn gives the student athlete more leverage when it comes to negotiating draft contracts. If I am not mistaken they can also offer full rides to anyone in state with a certain GPA thus saving more baseball money for out of state kids. This allows them to sign higher drafted highschool kids. They routinely land 2nd and 3rd rounders out of highschool.

Plus a large majority of their baseball "history" is extremely recent as in the kids graduating now actually grew up watching them in the CWS/winning the CWS. None of the kids now have probably ever seen highlights of 90s college baseball.

Clemson doesn't have a single player in the big leagues right now. You can look at it all you want but our job is a better job that pays more money than Clemson. I wouldn't personally hire the Clemson HC fwiw.
    And since you brought it up, Clemson has put more guys in the big leagues than us too. And had 5 guys get time last year. If you keep trying, you might find something besides fans that make us better than them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    If his wife is a Charleston girl, forget it! Charleston people think Mississippi is the North Korea of the south
    Is this true? If so, what's the deal with that? ... just seems weird.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Vandy has an advantage in being able to offer a degree that looks better than the majority of the SEC which in turn gives the student athlete more leverage when it comes to negotiating draft contracts. If I am not mistaken they can also offer full rides to anyone in state with a certain GPA thus saving more baseball money for out of state kids. This allows them to sign higher drafted highschool kids. They routinely land 2nd and 3rd rounders out of highschool.

Plus a large majority of their baseball "history" is extremely recent as in the kids graduating now actually grew up watching them in the CWS/winning the CWS. None of the kids now have probably ever seen highlights of 90s college baseball.

Clemson doesn't have a single player in the big leagues right now. You can look at it all you want but our job is a better job that pays more money than Clemson. I wouldn't personally hire the Clemson HC fwiw.
    A close look at Vandy players and you see that Corbin is scamming the kids on the degree/education side. You have lots of ?undecided? and ?liberal arts? and ?general studies?

Basically these kids will leave Vandy and will be selling Energy Drinks in shopping mall parking lots

Brent Rooker has two business degrees - f that Vandy Education
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 03-06-2018 at 10:46 PM.

As a N. Carolina native, I agree with you on all of this. However, I think Clemson is seen as the "redneck" step-brother to all the other schools; they're very similar to MSU. Even NCSU and VA Tech look down their noses at them (academically).

I laughed at your last comment re: Charleston. You are spot-on. I have lived in the low country and visit every few years, and Mississippi might as well be on the other side of the planet for many of those people. Lee's wife is not a native Charlestonian -- she's from Utah (according to her Twitter) -- but I wouldn't be surprised if she has adopted a Charleston mentality. You won't find many native bluebloods in Charleston anymore. I talked to a Charleston native a couple years ago in the King Edward bar, and he told me that the majority of the old homes South of Broad are owned by "damn Yankees."

Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    As a person who has lived in the Carolina's, SEC people need to know a few things

- Real ACC people don't see themselves as inferior to the SEC and they really get a kick from their own rivalries with UNC, Virginia, Georgia Tech, etc
    - Clemson is a pretty proud place, they see themselves as the athletic flagship of ACC sports - outside of basketball
    - Real ACC people have become basketball-centric, they view Bama success in football like we view Duke success in basketball
    - Clemson people view the SEC like a gladiator league of rogue, corrupt, and unethical universities like Ole Miss (they selectively tune-out UNC basketball)
    - Clemson think Columbia is a nasty little city with a commuter school - like we view Southern Miss

The real selling point to Monte Lee is that MSU is building something cool and he could take-over for the next 20 years to be a legend. MSU is a baseball school and he gets a ball-coach as his AD.

If his wife is a Charleston girl, forget it! Charleston people think Mississippi is the North Korea of the south