vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Interesting facts:

- His alma mater is College of Charleston
    - He is only 41 years old
    - He was a Ray Tanner assistant at USCe
    - Took College of Charleston to a super regional
    - Currently makes less than $0.5M
    He had some good teams at College of Charleston. Just looking at Clemson's year to year record without any other context, he hasn't been any better in his first two years than the guy before him was for the previous 5 or so.

vCash
    Clemson job is equal to ours. So there would have to be something to pull him here

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Clemson job is equal to ours. So there would have to be something to pull him here
    I am not one of these guys who thinks our job is one that can get anybody we want but I don't think, however , that the Clemson job is on par with ours.
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    I am not one of these guys who thinks our job is one that can get anybody we want but I don't think, however , that the Clemson job is on par with ours.
    You can make a case it isn't. But not a whole lot of difference.
    7 World Series appearances since 91. And more super regionals than us. They can make the case we aren't equal as well.
    Last edited by Homedawg; 03-05-2018 at 10:57 PM.

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    Oh, and he would be an excellent hire.
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    I could see this happening because of the money and I think we could outbid anything Clemson offered. Clemson has a history of producing good assistant coaches that become successful SEC coaches- Corbin, O'Sullivan, and etc. But that was also under the previous coach.

vCash

are you kidding....our New Stadium and our Crowds.

nm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Clemson has a history of producing good assistant coaches that become successful SEC coaches- Corbin, O'Sullivan, and etc.
    and Rick Ray...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MedDawg View Post
    and Rick Ray...
    Good one!

vCash
    History wise you may could make a case that there isn't a whole lot of difference in us and Clemson. If you look at tangible things we trump Clemson by a mile. Facilities, fan support, and pay for both himself and his assistants would be much better at State. I believe we also get more exposure than Clemson. I believe the State job is probably a bit easier of a recruiting sell as well. To my knowledge they don't have a player in the MLB right now. We have had several guys make it up the last few years and have had a pile of kids who have improved and been drafted higher than expected/make it to the league.

Baseball is alot like basketball in that most highschool kids that are borderline guys as far as getting drafted high enough to go or not are looking for the best place to improve their game to get to the league. The SEC is the best conference for preparing guys for pro ball IMO by a long shot and Mississippi State IMO is a top 5 school to get there. State kids get to play in front of crowds that are similar and probably larger than most double A crowds while generally competing in the top half of the SEC.

There aren't just a whole lot of college baseball teams that trump us when it comes to preparing kids for pro ball. Kids today aren't just looking at Ws and Ls from the 80s and 90s.

All this being said, there is no reason we can't go out and hire a stud with all of the great things our program offers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    History wise you may could make a case that there isn't a whole lot of difference in us and Clemson. If you look at tangible things we trump Clemson by a mile. Facilities, fan support, and pay for both himself and his assistants would be much better at State. I believe we also get more exposure than Clemson. I believe the State job is probably a bit easier of a recruiting sell as well. To my knowledge they don't have a player in the MLB right now. We have had several guys make it up the last few years and have had a pile of kids who have improved and been drafted higher than expected/make it to the league.

Baseball is alot like basketball in that most highschool kids that are borderline guys as far as getting drafted high enough to go or not are looking for the best place to improve their game to get to the league. The SEC is the best conference for preparing guys for pro ball IMO by a long shot and Mississippi State IMO is a top 5 school to get there. State kids get to play in front of crowds that are similar and probably larger than most double A crowds while generally competing in the top half of the SEC.

There aren't just a whole lot of college baseball teams that trump us when it comes to preparing kids for pro ball. Kids today aren't just looking at Ws and Ls from the 80s and 90s.

All this being said, there is no reason we can't go out and hire a stud with all of the great things our program offers.
    That's your perspective. If you base it on crowds and facilites our job is in the top 2 w lsu. And based on that vandy is one of the worst jobs in the country. Nobody said we can't hire a stud coach. What I did say, and stand by, is the Clemson job is on par w ours. And especially for a guy that's spent a majority of his life in the state of South Carolina.

Eta - to say the sec is way ahead of the acc I baseball is just being biased. The acc is a great baseball league. Stop looking through maroon glasses for one minute.
    Last edited by Homedawg; 03-06-2018 at 10:08 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    nm
    Nope. You can read my post above

vCash
    Eta - to say the sec is way ahead of the acc I baseball is just being biased. The acc is a great baseball league. Stop looking through maroon glasses for one minute.
    Are you talking about right now, or historically? Right now, there is 9 teams in the SEC ranked in the top 25. Compared to 4 in the ACC.
    Besides Bama, Mizzou, and Tenn, the rest of the conference is good/ really good in baseball. That's 11/14 teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1 View Post
    Are you talking about right now, or historically? Right now, there is 9 teams in the SEC ranked in the top 25. Compared to 4 in the ACC.
    Besides Bama, Mizzou, and Tenn, the rest of the conference is good/ really good in baseball. That's 11/14 teams.
    year in year out, those are the top two leagues. And while i agree the sec is the best, there isnt a ton of difference between the two.

vCash
    year in year out, those are the top two leagues. And while i agree the sec is the best, there isnt a ton of difference between the two.
    Yeah, no doubt ACC is second. SEC is clearly first, though IMO.

vCash
    As a person who has lived in the Carolina's, SEC people need to know a few things

- Real ACC people don't see themselves as inferior to the SEC and they really get a kick from their own rivalries with UNC, Virginia, Georgia Tech, etc
    - Clemson is a pretty proud place, they see themselves as the athletic flagship of ACC sports - outside of basketball
    - Real ACC people have become basketball-centric, they view Bama success in football like we view Duke success in basketball
    - Clemson people view the SEC like a gladiator league of rogue, corrupt, and unethical universities like Ole Miss (they selectively tune-out UNC basketball)
    - Clemson think Columbia is a nasty little city with a commuter school - like we view Southern Miss

The real selling point to Monte Lee is that MSU is building something cool and he could take-over for the next 20 years to be a legend. MSU is a baseball school and he gets a ball-coach as his AD.

If his wife is a Charleston girl, forget it! Charleston people think Mississippi is the North Korea of the south

vCash
    Clemson was modeled after MSU, according to the wishes of their founder.

vCash
    That's your perspective. If you base it on crowds and facilites our job is in the top 2 w lsu. And based on that vandy is one of the worst jobs in the country. Nobody said we can't hire a stud coach. What I did say, and stand by, is the Clemson job is on par w ours. And especially for a guy that's spent a majority of his life in the state of South Carolina.

Vandy has an advantage in being able to offer a degree that looks better than the majority of the SEC which in turn gives the student athlete more leverage when it comes to negotiating draft contracts. If I am not mistaken they can also offer full rides to anyone in state with a certain GPA thus saving more baseball money for out of state kids. This allows them to sign higher drafted highschool kids. They routinely land 2nd and 3rd rounders out of highschool.

Plus a large majority of their baseball "history" is extremely recent as in the kids graduating now actually grew up watching them in the CWS/winning the CWS. None of the kids now have probably ever seen highlights of 90s college baseball.

Clemson doesn't have a single player in the big leagues right now. You can look at it all you want but our job is a better job that pays more money than Clemson. I wouldn't personally hire the Clemson HC fwiw.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Vandy has an advantage in being able to offer a degree that looks better than the majority of the SEC which in turn gives the student athlete more leverage when it comes to negotiating draft contracts. If I am not mistaken they can also offer full rides to anyone in state with a certain GPA thus saving more baseball money for out of state kids. This allows them to sign higher drafted highschool kids. They routinely land 2nd and 3rd rounders out of highschool.

Plus a large majority of their baseball "history" is extremely recent as in the kids graduating now actually grew up watching them in the CWS/winning the CWS. None of the kids now have probably ever seen highlights of 90s college baseball.

Clemson doesn't have a single player in the big leagues right now. You can look at it all you want but our job is a better job that pays more money than Clemson. I wouldn't personally hire the Clemson HC fwiw.
    You are the one that tried to base the level of he program on facilities and crowds. I shot that down w vandy. But Florida then. No crowds and shit for facilities. Clemson has had more success in baseball in the last 45 years than we have. That's not opinion, that's fact. It's not overwhelming but they have had more by every measurable on the field. Sure we could pay more, doesn't mean he'd take it. I said the jobs were on par. Nothing you tell me is going to change that

ETA, so if it pays more it makes it a better job? If so ole miss has a better program than us if that's the measurable.
    Last edited by Homedawg; 03-06-2018 at 04:59 PM.