Thread: Waterfalls > Work

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash

Waterfalls > Work

After two solid days of rain on Wednesday and Thursday, we got pristine hiking weather on Friday -- no trace of clouds, a light but intermittent breeze, and a chilly morning that gave way to a high in the mid to low 50s. My office lost and it wasn't a contest.

Headed to the Rock Creek Gorge segment of the Cumberland Trail, which is around 30 minutes north of downtown Chattanooga. Mile for mile, it's got as many water features and overlooks as any other trail in the area. (It's also the trail where I took my avatar pic.)

One of a few bridges along the trail:

What's above the bridge:

What's below the bridge:

What's below what's below the bridge, in video form:

Another couple of random waterfalls/cascades along the trail:

A little overlook off to the side of the trail, looking north up the gorge:

A nice rock formation as you descend into a thicket of hemlock, pine, and rhododendron at the main creek's banks:

Rock Creek itself:

Leggett Branch Falls, from the bottom and the middle:

And some camera fanciness, for good measure:

Last edited by Prediction? Pain.; 03-05-2018 at 12:46 PM.

vCash
    Good stuff Pain.

I do miss having easy access to great hiking. You can't beat the trails in N GA, Tenn, NC, etc. Cumberland Island is nice, but the lack of elevation and challenge (other than bugs or heat) is not that great.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Good stuff Pain.

I do miss having easy access to great hiking. You can't beat the trails in N GA, Tenn, NC, etc. Cumberland Island is nice, but the lack of elevation and challenge (other than bugs or heat) is not that great.
    Yeah, southern Appalachia's hiking scene is strong. Chattanooga's got a lot going for it, but its close proximity to so many great trail systems is probably my favorite thing about living in this area. Half an hour's drive (or less) in almost any direction will put you at or close to an amazing place to spend a day hiking. And if you live in some of the mountainous areas 15 or 20 minutes from downtown, you can be at a trailhead in 5 minutes.

On the flip side, you're a stone's throw away from massive stretches of beach, well-preserved state and national parks, dozens of sea turtle nesting sites, and endless opportunities for flat-water excursions. That's pretty damn strong, too, topography be damned.