Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A'ja Wilson

Banned
    vCash

A'ja Wilson

I know I'll get blasted for this post but A'ja ain't all that. She's a layup machine on offense and that's it. You make her shoot jumpers and she's just a good college player not a college HOFer. Put quick bodies on her and double her when she gets the ball. Forget about trying to put our biggest on her. We want her to try to shoot over the defender not drive around and put up layups. She's too quick for our bigs. I think you double her with Vivians and another guard attacking her at the front. We have lots of guards that can afford a couple fouls. We can't have our bigs in foul trouble. The key to frustrating her is to put two smaller bodies on her and hound her into getting some turnovers and a couple charge calls. Make her shoot jumpers.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    I know I'll get blasted for this post but A'ja ain't all that. She's a layup machine on offense and that's it. You make her shoot jumpers and she's just a good college player not a college HOFer. Put quick bodies on her and double her when she gets the ball. Forget about trying to put our biggest on her. We want her to try to shoot over the defender not drive around and put up layups. She's too quick for our bigs. I think you double her with Vivians and another guard attacking her at the front. We have lots of guards that can afford a couple fouls. We can't have our bigs in foul trouble. The key to frustrating her is to put two smaller bodies on her and hound her into getting some turnovers and a couple charge calls. Make her shoot jumpers.
    I am with you. She scored 14 pts against UCONN. They had her figured out. Not sure why we can't.
    No Signature

vCash
    I think she can be contained some too. She's very good ... not disputing that point. But I'd take Katie Lou and Gabby over her all day every day.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 03-05-2018 at 12:06 PM.

vCash
    The key to her is always how the refs treat her. If she is allowed to climb backs, shove people out of her way, and walk like she almost always is in SEC games then she is unstoppable. If she is called straight up she is still good, but no world beater.

vCash
    how about just play a packed in zone and see if they can make shots. A zone gives both our Mens' and women's team trouble why not turn it around and try it every once in a while. To Stop Wilson and keep Big T in the game play a zone some.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    I am with you. She scored 14 pts against UCONN. They had her figured out. Not sure why we can't.
    she just scored 16 against us--right?

Senior Member Intramural All-American's Avatar
    vCash
    The A'ja Wilson disrespect is astonishing on this board. She is the best player in college basketball, and its really not close. She was the #1 player in the country in high school, and all she has done is win 7 of 8 SEC championships. She is the reason South Carolina is what they are. Take her off that team, and they are an average SEC team. She is the 7th in the country in scoring, 9th in rebounding, and 5th in blocked shots. Teams key on her every game, and she produces every game. Acting like 14 against UCONN is bad is laughable. She is also 5/12 from 3 on the year, so acting like she can't shoot is pretty dumb too. She is a very dislikeable person, especially to us who she has owned, but she absolutely deserves respect. And y'all look pretty dumb discrediting a girl who has literally accomplished everything in college basketball, and is about to win player of the year.

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    Missouri did one thing right, she’s going to get a foul called for every little thing, might as well make them painful for her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Intramural All-American View Post
    The A'ja Wilson disrespect is astonishing on this board. She is the best player in college basketball, and its really not close. She was the #1 player in the country in high school, and all she has done is win 7 of 8 SEC championships. She is the reason South Carolina is what they are. Take her off that team, and they are an average SEC team. She is the 7th in the country in scoring, 9th in rebounding, and 5th in blocked shots. Teams key on her every game, and she produces every game. Acting like 14 against UCONN is bad is laughable. She is also 5/12 from 3 on the year, so acting like she can't shoot is pretty dumb too. She is a very dislikeable person, especially to us who she has owned, but she absolutely deserves respect. And y'all look pretty dumb discrediting a girl who has literally accomplished everything in college basketball, and is about to win player of the year.
    I'm just amazed at how all the referees in the US have conspired against us to prop her up so they can beat us.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I'm just amazed at how all the referees in the US have conspired against us to prop her up so they can beat us.
    It’s not just against us.

Banned
    vCash
    I want to see her beat us without just shooting layups and free throws. You say she's a great shooter. I want to see it. I want to see A'ja and USC beat us on jumpers and 3's not layups and free throws.

vCash
    Watching her play in person in two games this weekend and several others on the square tube I have to agree, she ain?t all they make her out to be. As an offensive player most refs have adapted to the way she plays and let her do a LOT of things other players couldn?t do. As a defensive player she does make her way back down the court quickly but again gets away with a lot of hand checks that are fouls on the other end. She is an athletic player but as an opposing coach there is no way in hell I wouldn?t jump her as she tries to bring the ball down the court like a point guard.

vCash
    I want to see her beat us without just shooting layups and free throws. You say she's a great shooter. I want to see it. I want to see A'ja and USC beat us on jumpers and 3's not layups and free throws.
    they shot 11 FT's to our 10 yesterday

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Yep. After the regular season matchup, they decided to never let us beat them again.

vCash
    The reason she shoots layups is because she is physically superior to all of the other women. She has quickness and size that can't be guarded. She gets layups because she gets to the basket easily, and unlike many bigs in women's basketball, she makes her layups extremely consistently. She also can hit an elbow jumper so when players step out on her, she is able to drive past them. I truly feel like y'all are saying she isn't great in comparison to men, but if you compare her to other women, she is head and shoulders more talented than 99% of players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    She also had 16 boards and 6 blocks.

vCash
    This is South Carolina's last hooray. They will be very average next season without Aja. Missouri, Georgia and Texas A&M will all be hard to beat next season. I believe we will be top 5 in the conference but we will fall back also.

vCash
    SC will still be pretty good- but losing her will hurt alot

vCash
    She also had 16 boards and 6 blocks.
    At LEAST half the boards she went over the back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HereComesTheSpiral View Post
    Missouri did one thing right, she’s going to get a foul called for every little thing, might as well make them painful for her.
    This is the correct attitude. If it's going to be called like that then make her feel it and wear her down physically. Without her at 100% they are just an alright women's basketball team.