Thread: Jay Johnson's past teams

vCash

Jay Johnson's past teams

How big is Johnson on playing the traditional Pac-12 small ball?

vCash
    Looking back at his teams stats- it seems dependent on the players he has and the stadium. In 2016 they bunted a lot- 81 times. At San Diego two years before however- 35 times. They have only bunted 9 times and I could not find last years data.

Most college coaches are going to bunt some because of the types of players that they have- there aren't very many lineups with 3-4 Rooker's in it. If any.

We don't need to be worried about small ball- most coaches nowadays play the game according to the players that they have and their skill sets.

The MOST important thing to me is getting someone that has MLB ties that can get good recruits to school and has an elite pitching coach on their staff. The more MLB talent we have in the field the less we will bunt- I can almost guarantee that.

Banned
    vCash
    isn't the strategy still to want high averages vs low average power due to the dimensions of the field in Omaha?

vCash
    Wasn't Jay Johnson the coach at Arizona that we played in the 2016 regional, that pitched one of his pitchers an un-godly pitch count and ruined the guys arm?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Wasn't Jay Johnson the coach at Arizona that we played in the 2016 regional, that pitched one of his pitchers an un-godly pitch count and ruined the guys arm?
    Yep and all of us sat on here talking about how that was going to hurt his MLB connections because he was destroying arms. That + west coast style baseball should have our fans in a tizzy in no time.

Interestingly, he's also only a year older than Cann

vCash
    Yes, he basically used 3 pitchers in the post season run and just 6 pitchers had 70% of the season's innings, usually you see 9 to 10 pitchers take the load.

RHP/3B - Bobby Dalbec
    LHP - Ming
    RHP - Bannister (142 Innings!)

But Dalbec was a 3B and did not have a MLB future on the mound. Bannister was a senior that had been undrafted, so 2016 was his last hurrah. Ming was his rubber-armed lefty.

Banned
    vCash
    I don't want him to be honest.

After the obvious choices, Tim Tadlock is my 'shoot-for-the-moon' pick. After that, it's Lane Burroughs, as I've been on his train ever since Sext-Gate

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5049 View Post

After the obvious choices, Tim Tadlock is my 'shoot-for-the-moon' pick. After that, it's Lane Burroughs, as I've been on his train ever since Sext-Gate
    Are you saying you want Lane Burroughs as our head coach.

vCash

Tim Tadlock yes. La Tech guy no

vCash

We won't even get close to hiring Burroughs. Kendall Rogers is saying we're probably going to hire someone bigger than Mingione- and we're going to have to get through Mingione, Butch, and Brad Bohannon before we even get to Lane.

What I have always heard about Lane- good recruiter, not so good hitting coach.

If we go with someone off the Cohen tree I hope it's Bohannon.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    We won't even get close to hiring Burroughs. Kendall Rogers is saying we're probably going to hire someone bigger than Mingione- and we're going to have to get through Mingione, Butch, and Brad Bohannon before we even get to Lane.

Cohen tree choice for me would be mingione. I don't think it will be bohannon and I know it won't be Burroughs

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Tim Tadlock yes. La Tech guy no
    Agree. Tim Tadlock would be great hire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    Cohen tree choice for me would be mingione. I don't think it will be bohannon and I know it won't be Burroughs
    I wouldn't mind Butch

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1 View Post
    I wouldn't mind Butch
    Neither would I. I don't know why some of our fans are so anti butch and Mingione. Both are very good coaches and would win here.

vCash
    Neither would I. I don't know why some of our fans are so anti butch and Mingione. Both are very good coaches and would win here.
    I think its the fact that they would be so predictable. Its not a splash hire. Folks are ready for our baseball program to shit or get off the pot

vCash
    I have nothing against either, but I would rather us get a more proven coach. I know we likely have no chance at him, but I would love to have Virginia's coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    I think its the fact that they would be so predictable. Its not a splash hire. Folks are ready for our baseball program to shit or get off the pot
    That's it. Me, I don't want a young coach that is immature. I know, Cann's issue probably won't happen again with us, but I don't want to be burned again. And I KNOW Cohen isn't wanting to be burned again either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

Todd, what is it about Bohannon that you like? I know he coached under Cohen at KY and last year under Ming but that's about all I know. I believe he has a pretty good reputation as a recruiter. This being his 1st year at Bama, if it got to him, what's the chance he'd leave Tuscaloosa for Starkville? Always enjoy your input on the board.
    Last edited by InTheIttaBenaHotSun; 03-06-2018 at 09:06 AM.

vCash
    We all know the reason Deggs got run the other night was to show the IB the intensity and have more time to sit down with him while in Houston ...ha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheIttaBenaHotSun View Post
    Todd, what is it about Bohannon that you like? I know he coached under Cohen at KY and last year under Ming but that's about all I know. I believe he has a pretty good reputation as a recruiter. This being his 1st year at Bama, if it got to him, what's the chance he'd leave Tuscaloosa for Starkville? Always enjoy your input on the board.
    Great recruiter who identifies talent better than Butch and Mingione and now has Alabama at 10-1. Helped build Kentucky and Auburn plus Kentucky wanted him to stay after Cohen left.