Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Spring Break Ideas for...

vCash

OT: Spring Break Ideas for...

My family (wife and two kids under ten). We have a travel trailer and kayaks but don?t have to carry that stuff. Give me some ideas...

vCash
    http://www.atlantisbahamas.com/speci...kPsA&gclsrc=ds

Your kids wont ever forget this trip
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Banned
    vCash
    Don't go to Mexico, some doctor just get knocked in the head down there

vCash
    Go camping! Mississippi Gulf coast has great sites with access to bayous that are smooth kayaking. Don't want to kayak on the ocean with kids that age. Alabama and Florida, too!

vCash
    How far under 10 and how much do you want to spend? That's a relatively cheap time of year to go to Europe. Castles are cool to kids. I'd suggest England, Scotland, or Ireland for a first trip. It helps to speak the language.

vCash
    Why go to Europe when you have Starkville. Baseball in God's country is my recommendation.

vCash
    Miss and Ala have plenty of state parks with cabins, lakes and other camping facilities. You can't go wrong at any of them.

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MSSTATESEEYA View Post
    Why go to Europe when you have Starkville. Baseball in God's country is my recommendation.
    He wants a memorable trip with his family, not them having nightmares from watching our team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MSSTATESEEYA View Post
    Hard to go to Europe for just one week of spring break.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Hard to go to Europe for just one week of spring break.
    It's not a very cost effective way to do it, but a week is plenty long enough.

vCash
    Float the buffalo river in north Arkansas, call one of the canoe rental places and they will help you plan - Google float buffalo river. You could probably float two days with overnight pickup for float. Then float White river below Bull Sholes Reservoir and trout fish with guides from White River Resort. They take care of everything. World Record German Brown trout from White river between white resort and takeout point in Cotter Arkansas Then go to eureka springs or Branson, MO Bass Pro Shops has a big lodge on Table rock lake just below Branson. Go to Silver Dollar City in Branson. Go to (Walmart) Art museum in Rodgers, Arkansas, All in one trip

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    It's not a very cost effective way to do it, but a week is plenty long enough.
    Agree, on both counts. Take your kids to Europe if you can. We got to do it for our kid, thanks to his grandparents, more than once. It's been an awesome experience for him, not to mention his parents. We are heading back this summer between his co-op and fall semester.

vCash
    I'll throw a few things out that could possibly work for you or someone else.

Spend 2 days in Birmingham at the McWane Center www.mcwane.org/ and the Birmingham Zoo https://www.birminghamzoo.com/. If you're two are boys and are closer to 10 than 1 then you might want to go here also. www.barbermuseum.org/ (Incredible Museum) Have your wife drop y'all off and she can drive 3 miles down the road and shop here shopsofgrandriver.com/. The Outlet Mall has a drive-In. If it's warm they'll probably have a kids movie - you can grab dinner over there at the restaurant next to the drive-In....have never eaten out there so I can speak to how good the food is but should be ok. you can stay here www.alapark.com/oak-mountain-state-park. One night I'd travel into the Homewood area of town and eat here www.thelittledonkey.com/birmingham-menu/. It's good food but more importantly it sits next to this place https://steelcitypops.com/locations/homewood/ nice place for dessert for the kids. While the kids and wife are at Steel City you can walk next door and get something here https://www.redhillsbrew.com/

Head up to Guntersville and stay and hang out here www.alapark.com/lake-guntersville-state-park - camp or stay in the hotel on site. Travel across Lake Guntersville and do this http://www.alapark.com/cathedral-caverns-state-park. Next day drive on up to Huntsville and go here https://www.rocketcenter.com/. Rocket can probably give you a couple of other ideas about what to do in Huntsville and where to eat. They brew some good beer in Huntsville too.

The next day head to Florence, AL and do this http://www.visitflorenceal.com/thing...nd-and-museum/. Kids might not find this very interesting but if you and your wife enjoy architecture maybe do this http://www.visitflorenceal.com/thing...senbaum-house/. If you're tired of the State Park thing then stay here http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...5-54ba596febe2 Here's a local Florence brewery to visit - if you have time. https://www.singinriverbrewing.com/.

Next day get up and head towards the house.

Another thing to mention would be the Avondale neighborhood of Birmingham. Cool area to grab some dinner and a beer. Sit out back at Avondale Brewery (if weather permits) and let the kids run around and maybe listen to some music. But for kids 10 and under I'd stick with Homewood cause everything is literally side by side by side of each other.

Good luck with whatever y'all do.....and safe travels.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MeridianDog View Post
    Float the buffalo river in north Arkansas, call one of the canoe rental places and they will help you plan - Google float buffalo river. You could probably float two days with overnight pickup for float. Then float White river below Bull Sholes Reservoir and trout fish with guides from White River Resort. They take care of everything. World Record German Brown trout from White river between white resort and takeout point in Cotter Arkansas Then go to eureka springs or Branson, MO Bass Pro Shops has a big lodge on Table rock lake just below Branson. Go to Silver Dollar City in Branson. Go to (Walmart) Art museum in Rodgers, Arkansas, All in one trip
    I believe the river is in flood stage, just FYI
    Downvotes_Hype

Banned
    vCash
    Good kayaking in the Smokey Mountains, probably can get a nice cabin for a good deal with direct access to kayaking runs

vCash
    Try Fort Pickens Camping site at Pensacola. You have all you want. Beach, camping, for the kids and you the Naval Aviation Museum and if its along the way the Battleship Alabama Park. You can't go wrong with this. Heck I might go/

vCash
    Fetty Wap might be playing at Club La Vela in Panama City. Just watch out for players from UT Chattanooga in the parking lot.

vCash
    Go to London and everyone get drunk. Your kids will never forget it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucifictorious View Post
    Fetty Wap might be playing at Club La Vela in Panama City. Just watch out for players from UT Chattanooga in the parking lot.
    Dam Club La Vela is still there. Used to go there back in 87-88.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    I believe the river is in flood stage, just FYI
    I was about to say...... I bet you can float, what is normally an day trip, in an hour right now. On the flip side, it might make the float a bit more exciting.