Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bright side of baseball - 2019 team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5049 View Post
    In this era of overuse and TJ, I say take the money when you can get it
    Sigh.

Or you can do the statistically more successful thing and go to college first and possibly parlay that into a bigger signing bonus. Assuming you aren't drafted in the top three rounds of course.

Also there is more awareness than ever about overuse. You're going to start seeing it less and less and people become more educated- which is going to result in that overzealous coach trying to win the Grenada Lakes Travel Ball Tournament to get called out and possibly sued for abuse.
    Last edited by Todd4State; 03-01-2018 at 09:07 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Sigh.

Or you can do the statistically more successful thing and go to college first and possibly parlay that into a bigger signing bonus. Assuming you are drafted in the top three rounds of course.

Also there is more awareness than ever about overuse. You're going to start seeing it less and less and people become more educated- which is going to result in that overzealous coach trying to win the Grenada Lakes Travel Ball Tournament to get called out and possibly sued for abuse.
    The Grenada Lakes trophy is the most prestigious in all of daddy ball. Get your priorities straight**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    But I don't see the current roster competing for a regional or anything next year.
    Do you mean you don?t expect us to compete to host a regional next year? Because if you?re already expecting us to miss the tournament a year out, that?s either an unprecedented amount of pessimism or we need to fire the coach we haven?t even hired yet.
    Leicester Till I Die

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Don't give up on JT just yet. Can't promise anything but Mike(JT's dad) says he will be at State. Now when the money starts flying who knows, but Mike's been a close friend for over 40 years and he's a straight shooter. If the moneys right it would be hard to turn down mlb. I do know that JT loves State and is looking forward to playing at the New Dude. fwiw
    Yup. I will honestly be suprised if he is not a bulldog.
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dickiedawg View Post
    Do you mean you don?t expect us to compete to host a regional next year? Because if you?re already expecting us to miss the tournament a year out, that?s either an unprecedented amount of pessimism or we need to fire the coach we haven?t even hired yet.
    This

vCash
    One thing... it's time for us to face the fact that cole Gordon is not an sec caliber pitcher.

vCash
    Here?s something on JT that a lot of people don?t know. JT is not ready to give up swinging the bat yet. He loves to hit. Most mlb want him as a pitcher, though some have worked him out behind the plate recently,(his pop time is top notch). We will give him the opportunity to play a position and pitch. Also JT will be able to enter the draft after 2 years at school not 3 because he will turn 21 during that second year. He could very well go mlb, but he also has a very good chance to be a Bulldog. Mike is a smart guy and he will help guide JT to do what?s best for him. Right now he says he?s gonna be a Dawg. These situations are always fluid.

ETA who we hire as HC is gonna be a big deciding factor for the Ginns. Mike told me a couple names they want as HC.
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 03-02-2018 at 12:52 AM.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Here?s something on JT that a lot of people don?t know. JT is not ready to give up swinging the bat yet. He loves to hit. Most mlb want him as a pitcher, though some have worked him out behind the plate recently,(his pop time is top notch). We will give him the opportunity to play a position and pitch. Also JT will be able to enter the draft after 2 years at school not 3 because he will turn 21 during that second year. He could very well go mlb, but he also has a very good chance to be a Bulldog. Mike is a smart guy and he will help guide JT to do what?s best for him. Right now he says he?s gonna be a Dawg. These situations are always fluid.

ETA who we hire as HC is gonna be a big deciding factor for the Ginns. Mike told me a couple names they want as HC.
    I hope he makes millions no matter what choice he makes. If that choice is MLB, I hope he builds a mansion in MS, and hangs out in Starkville like Roy Oswalt. Conducts camps and goes to games, and essentially has a presence around the program

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5049 View Post
    I hope he makes millions no matter what choice he makes. If that choice is MLB, I hope he builds a mansion in MS, and hangs out in Starkville like Roy Oswalt. Conducts camps and goes to games, and essentially has a presence around the program
    I'm with you. I want JT to succeed because me and his dad played ball together for years and he's been a close friend most of my life. We have a good shot at him being in maroon and white but if he goes mlb it's completely understandable.

vCash
    Such a tough call. I wonder how much money I would need to encourage my kid to go pro. Statistically, college is the better route to the pros. Also, the college baseball experience will create memories that last a lifetime. And the minors are very, very tough. College is a nice bridge to the minors and can shorten your time in the minors. I would say if you are drafted in the first 2 rounds and can get a 1.5 million or above signing bonus then you almost have to go. That bonus really goes down after taxes though. And you don't make any kind of salary in the minors. Great spot to be in, but tough decision.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Such a tough call. I wonder how much money I would need to encourage my kid to go pro. Statistically, college is the better route to the pros. Also, the college baseball experience will create memories that last a lifetime. And the minors are very, very tough. College is a nice bridge to the minors and can shorten your time in the minors. I would say if you are drafted in the first 2 rounds and can get a 1.5 million or above signing bonus then you almost have to go. That bonus really goes down after taxes though. And you don't make any kind of salary in the minors. Great spot to be in, but tough decision.
    For me it would have to be about 4 million. I figure that would put me in a situation where if I did have to work it wouldn't be for long.

To me "life changing money" means I don't have to work a day in my life other than baseball. Anything less means that I would need an education so that I could live comfortably.

Banned
    vCash
    Invest that money in mutual funds and it'll pay you over 100K per year, the rest of your life. You have to take the money.

vCash
    You understand exactly what the Ginn's are thinking. I've had a lot of conversations with Mike on these same topics. It's why we have a shot at getting JT.