Quote Originally Posted by Bigedawg View Post
This team knew the entire preseason that they would face this road trip. To that end, all we heard is how hard they were training and creating a "Road Warrior" mentality. If this road trip has told us anything about the team, it is that they are not a mentally tough bunch. Lack of mental toughness is a recipe for disaster in the SEC. This is compounded by the fact that we are getting zero offense from our veteran players other than Mangum and Stovall. As for Mangum, he is what he is as the coaches like to say. He swings early in the count and lacks plate discipline. Same story as his first two years but I would most definitely take a few more just like him.

The pitching staff does not appear to be a strength as many anticipated. Pilk is a solid Friday night guy but his pitch count always gets elevated in the early innings thus preventing him from being the inning eater that we so desperately need. Self is the only guy out of the bullpen that you can really have total confidence in. Maybe Smith rounds into his form of two years ago. Gordon is Gordon. Flashes of brilliance followed by the inability to throw a strike. We need a big jump from two of the following 3: France, Small, James if we are going to scratch into a regional. Losing Price really, really hurts.

I feel good about the small sample size that we have seen from the young position players. If the season continues spiraling, I hope we see an influx of young players taking their lumps this season. We are almost to the point where we should know what we are getting with Mac, Vansua, Belmont, Poole, Skelton, etc. I don't feel like any of those 5 will hit over .250 in league play; so, we will continue to struggle offensively. I want to see more of Foscue, Anderson, Gilbert, Jordan, etc. Allen and Hatcher are already showing that they can swing it. The team has potential offensively but that potential lies solely in an influx of the young guys into the lineup.

Sorry for novel but feels good to get off of my chest!
Good post