Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: McNeese state baseball game

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigedawg View Post
    This team knew the entire preseason that they would face this road trip. To that end, all we heard is how hard they were training and creating a "Road Warrior" mentality. If this road trip has told us anything about the team, it is that they are not a mentally tough bunch. Lack of mental toughness is a recipe for disaster in the SEC. This is compounded by the fact that we are getting zero offense from our veteran players other than Mangum and Stovall. As for Mangum, he is what he is as the coaches like to say. He swings early in the count and lacks plate discipline. Same story as his first two years but I would most definitely take a few more just like him.

The pitching staff does not appear to be a strength as many anticipated. Pilk is a solid Friday night guy but his pitch count always gets elevated in the early innings thus preventing him from being the inning eater that we so desperately need. Self is the only guy out of the bullpen that you can really have total confidence in. Maybe Smith rounds into his form of two years ago. Gordon is Gordon. Flashes of brilliance followed by the inability to throw a strike. We need a big jump from two of the following 3: France, Small, James if we are going to scratch into a regional. Losing Price really, really hurts.

I feel good about the small sample size that we have seen from the young position players. If the season continues spiraling, I hope we see an influx of young players taking their lumps this season. We are almost to the point where we should know what we are getting with Mac, Vansua, Belmont, Poole, Skelton, etc. I don't feel like any of those 5 will hit over .250 in league play; so, we will continue to struggle offensively. I want to see more of Foscue, Anderson, Gilbert, Jordan, etc. Allen and Hatcher are already showing that they can swing it. The team has potential offensively but that potential lies solely in an influx of the young guys into the lineup.

Sorry for novel but feels good to get off of my chest!
    To show you how ridiculous of a SSS we have seen, look at Luke Alexander last season through 8 games...

13/33 (.394)
    4 2b
    2 hr
    7 walks

.394 BA
    .500 OBP
    .697 slugging

You think 8 games is a proper sample size?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I think you guys are giving up on this team way too early. Our team is on mlb road trip to start this season. Mlb teams struggle on long trips... you know a bunch of college kids will too. I expect this team to play much better this weekend with the end to this trip in sight, and play pretty well next week at home
    Brah we lost to a team that was 1-6. Where the game was played should have nothing to do with it. That team was giving up 9 runs a game and we scratched out a measly 3.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by louisvilledawg View Post
    Brah we lost to a team that was 1-6. Where the game was played should have nothing to do with it. That team was giving up 9 runs a game and we scratched out a measly 3.
    LSU lost to SE la last night after uconn took 2 of 3 vs se la this past weekend.

It is almost like everyone forgets that everyone in the sec has clunkers like this every year. Do you want more examples of this this season?

vCash
    LSU lost to SE la last night after uconn took 2 of 3 vs se la this past weekend.

It is almost like everyone forgets that everyone in the sec has clunkers like this every year. Do you want more examples of this this season?
    LSU is not very good either. Down year for them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    LSU is not very good either. Down year for them.
    Ark lost to cal poly.

Last year we lost to Marist, morehead state, and FIU
    Last edited by msstate7; 03-01-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Y’all are beating your head against the wall debating anything with 7

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigedawg View Post
    This team knew the entire preseason that they would face this road trip. To that end, all we heard is how hard they were training and creating a "Road Warrior" mentality. If this road trip has told us anything about the team, it is that they are not a mentally tough bunch. Lack of mental toughness is a recipe for disaster in the SEC. This is compounded by the fact that we are getting zero offense from our veteran players other than Mangum and Stovall. As for Mangum, he is what he is as the coaches like to say. He swings early in the count and lacks plate discipline. Same story as his first two years but I would most definitely take a few more just like him.

The pitching staff does not appear to be a strength as many anticipated. Pilk is a solid Friday night guy but his pitch count always gets elevated in the early innings thus preventing him from being the inning eater that we so desperately need. Self is the only guy out of the bullpen that you can really have total confidence in. Maybe Smith rounds into his form of two years ago. Gordon is Gordon. Flashes of brilliance followed by the inability to throw a strike. We need a big jump from two of the following 3: France, Small, James if we are going to scratch into a regional. Losing Price really, really hurts.

I feel good about the small sample size that we have seen from the young position players. If the season continues spiraling, I hope we see an influx of young players taking their lumps this season. We are almost to the point where we should know what we are getting with Mac, Vansua, Belmont, Poole, Skelton, etc. I don't feel like any of those 5 will hit over .250 in league play; so, we will continue to struggle offensively. I want to see more of Foscue, Anderson, Gilbert, Jordan, etc. Allen and Hatcher are already showing that they can swing it. The team has potential offensively but that potential lies solely in an influx of the young guys into the lineup.

Sorry for novel but feels good to get off of my chest!
    Good post

vCash
    i know this is a small sample size but so far this has been very disappointing on many levels. We just are not supposed to be playing this shitty. is it because we are on the road? is it because our super-star young head coach -shit the bed? . maybe we just are not very good? In my mind I'm thinking--we will shake this off and get back to winning but I'm not sure. maybe Hendo can get them to snap out of this funk.

vCash
    Y'all have covered all I wanted to talk about with the hitters, so can I bitch about the pitching? I don't thin Henderson is a good pitching coach. I just don't. Go look at the team ERAs and draft picks off his Kentucky teams- he never finished in the top 5 in team ERA, and never really developed many stars. Now look at his years here.

last year he gets a pass; too many injuries as we all know.

But this year... Let's go through it: Pilk looks no better than he did at the start of last season, and worse than at the end of the year. Billingsley shows no improvement. Gordon shows no improvement, even though you'd think he'd make the biggest strides. Leibelt and Neff either A) are not improved from JuCo last year, or B) have regressed (there's no way we take them if they were this bad last year, right?). McQuary looks the exact same as last year. Small, James, Smith, etc can't be put on Henderson good or bad as how a player returns from an injury is always up in the air. I will say that non of them look good though. JP France we haven't seen much of, and supposedly he's hurt so we'll ignore him.

But we have had ZERO pitchers make notable jumps under Henderson. 0. And nobody really even looks good, even the newcomers. I wasn't sold on him when we hired him but figured I'd wait and see. Well, I've seen his pitchers last year, I've seen them this year, and none of the returners look improved in the slightest despite a whole offseason. Rant complete

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Y'all have covered all I wanted to talk about with the hitters, so can I bitch about the pitching? I don't thin Henderson is a good pitching coach. I just don't. Go look at the team ERAs and draft picks off his Kentucky teams- he never finished in the top 5 in team ERA, and never really developed many stars. Now look at his years here.

last year he gets a pass; too many injuries as we all know.

But this year... Let's go through it: Pilk looks no better than he did at the start of last season, and worse than at the end of the year. Billingsley shows no improvement. Gordon shows no improvement, even though you'd think he'd make the biggest strides. Leibelt and Neff either A) are not improved from JuCo last year, or B) have regressed (there's no way we take them if they were this bad last year, right?). McQuary looks the exact same as last year. Small, James, Smith, etc can't be put on Henderson good or bad as how a player returns from an injury is always up in the air. I will say that non of them look good though. JP France we haven't seen much of, and supposedly he's hurt so we'll ignore him.

But we have had ZERO pitchers make notable jumps under Henderson. 0. And nobody really even looks good, even the newcomers. I wasn't sold on him when we hired him but figured I'd wait and see. Well, I've seen his pitchers last year, I've seen them this year, and none of the returners look improved in the slightest despite a whole offseason. Rant complete
    I lean this way too but I’m still reserving judgement. Thoughtful post

vCash
    Ark lost to cal poly.

Last year we lost to Marist, morehead state, and FIU
    Serious question, do you think we are good? A postseason team?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Serious question, do you think we are good? A postseason team?
    I think we can be a low 2 or 3-seed in some regional. Do I expect us to survive that regional? No