Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Coach Gautreau

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Four years would be way too long. To me, it would be sad because we have come so far since the Ron Polk II era and we are finally back at the point where we were at worst and finally at the point where we are about to springboard to the next level. It would be a step back. Not as big as Polk II but probably a four year step back because Henderson doesn't have the following that Polk had.
    If Henderson pulls off 50 wins and a CWS appearance I don't care if he wears a dress and sings Toto during the 7th inning stretch he'd be getting another year minimum in my book. Have we ever had 50 wins before? That's a ridiculous number

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheIttaBenaHotSun View Post
    Maybe McD would keep Gautreau and Henderson but more than likely he'd want to bring in his own guys. It'd be great, if whoever we hire would keep them both. That is if both want to stay.

As far as Rooker talking glowingly of Cann, he meant it but that was when Cann gave a shit. I'm thinking things went down hill after the season ended. Cann had more time on his hands, was settled in and comfortable with his surroundings and started taking what he had for granted.
    Cann went down when he got that thing on his mind, mighty powerful stuff!

vCash
    It's going to be interesting to me- this upcoming weekend we play in a tournament where Vanderbilt and Kentucky just so happen to be playing as well. And then Vanderbilt comes to Starkville for the first SEC weekend a couple of weeks after that. If I'm Cohen I might go after Corbin pretty hard in that span of three weeks. (Look at the team we have and look at the facilities and fans we have that you don't at Vandy. We'll help take care of the scholarships. You leave the whistler in Nashville and we'll keep Gene and his radar gun under control. Oh, here's two million dollars.) Hopefully some of our major cigar boys are going to have an alumni meeting in Hoston the next couple of weekend.
    It would be worth it to just lose the whistler.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    If Henderson pulls off 50 wins and a CWS appearance I don't care if he wears a dress and sings Toto during the 7th inning stretch he'd be getting another year minimum in my book. Have we ever had 50 wins before? That's a ridiculous number
    1985, 1989, 1990 & 2013

vCash
    It's going to be interesting to me- this upcoming weekend we play in a tournament where Vanderbilt and Kentucky just so happen to be playing as well. And then Vanderbilt comes to Starkville for the first SEC weekend a couple of weeks after that. If I'm Cohen I might go after Corbin pretty hard in that span of three weeks. (Look at the team we have and look at the facilities and fans we have that you don't at Vandy. We'll help take care of the scholarships. You leave the whistler in Nashville and we'll keep Gene and his radar gun under control. Oh, here's two million dollars.) Hopefully some of our major cigar boys are going to have an alumni meeting in Hoston the next couple of weekend.
    Can't see Corbin leaving, he won a Natty and he has it made at Vandy. Why would he leave Nashville for Starkville, surely it isn't over us having better crowds.

I'm betting Vandy would match any offer IF it came to that. Vandy has as much talent if not more than most in the Sec. Corbin has been at Vandy a while now, pretty sure he can get want he wants or needs at Vandy.

Oh, yes Cohen may ask Corbin if he would be interested, I just don't see this move.

vCash
    Because if you can bring in an elite head coach he probably also has an elite staff that he has worked with that know him.

Like hypothetically- if we hired Tim Corbin you absolutely let him bring Scott Brown and Mike Baxter with him and let them do their thing. Corbin may just be a CEO- but if that's the case you let him bring his top bosses with him that make his system work.
    I think Mississippi State hiring Scott Brown as the head coach is more likely than Tim Corbin. I won't rule out anything, but I'm not expecting Corbin, Jim Schlossnagle, or Brian O'Connor to actually be interested in leaving where they are at. It has more to do with how college baseball head coaches simply don't move around to the highest bidder the way college football head coaches do. I mean, if Scholssnagle were interested in leaving, he'd be Texas's head coach right now.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    1985, 1989, 1990 & 2013
    Wow 4 times since 1985, that's impressive

vCash
    Here's the difference between us and Texas: While Texas has a great baseball history that is better than ours no question about it baseball is not THE sport there and never will be. They're also in the same conference as TCU and I'm not sure how much that would affect things between us and Schlossnagle but we don't play TCU very often. We also are building a better facility which would be ready in year one for Schlossnagle and we are going to likely be in better shape than Texas was when Garrido left.

I would be fine with Tadlock. And a number of other coaches.
    This is a misnomer. He didn?t take the Texas job because there is basically a non compete clause in his contract for Big 12 schools. That?s why he didn?t take the Texas job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    I think Mississippi State hiring Scott Brown as the head coach is more likely than Tim Corbin. I won't rule out anything, but I'm not expecting Corbin, Jim Schlossnagle, or Brian O'Connor to actually be interested in leaving where they are at. It has more to do with how college baseball head coaches simply don't move around to the highest bidder the way college football head coaches do. I mean, if Scholssnagle were interested in leaving, he'd be Texas's head coach right now.
    Contractually he can’t move to the Texas job.

Banned
    vCash
    Here's a crazy thought- what happens if we hire Schlossnagle who I believe coached at Tulane when Gautreau was there? I think there would be a VERY good chance that he would keep Gautreau on as hitting coach while bringing in Saarloos as the pitching coach.

If I'm Cohen I open up the wallet and make it happen.
    Best coach in America. I'd pay him 3mil if that's what it took

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    He didnt take the Texas job when they offered him. I dont think hes coming but I agree we should offer.

I think Tim Tadlock would take it in a heartbeat
    He's another one of the best

vCash
    The thing that everyone is missing is everyone has their price. Let's say you are making 100K and have it made at your job. And then another job that is a reasonably good situation comes along and offers you 300K- who here wouldn't take that? I would leave my job tomorrow for that.

vCash
    The thing that everyone is missing is everyone has their price. Let's say you are making 100K and have it made at your job. And then another job that is a reasonably good situation comes along and offers you 300K- who here wouldn't take that? I would leave my job tomorrow for that.
    My point was that this misnomer that if he wouldn’t leave for the Texas job then he obviously wouldn’t leave for our job is a fallacy. He contractually couldn’t leave for the Texas job. He can’t leave TCU for any other Big 12 job. I’m sure it was written in smartly by TCU in case the Texas job did come open. I think if we offered the right price to him we would get him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    My point was that this misnomer that if he wouldn’t leave for the Texas job then he obviously wouldn’t leave for our job is a fallacy. He contractually couldn’t leave for the Texas job. He can’t leave TCU for any other Big 12 job. I’m sure it was written in smartly by TCU in case the Texas job did come open. I think if we offered the right price to him we would get him.
    I agree with you. A non-compete changes things completely.

vCash
    Schlossnagle had/has a special bond with Andy Cannizaro as well. That could work one of two ways. If Cann tried to help recruit Schlossnagle here, it might be too much to pass up but I could also see it working against us in getting him as well. Man, it just points out what Coach Cann threw away. I hope Coach Cann learned a very valuable lesson in all of this. He could possibly have thrown away what looked like to be an amazing career for imo something extremely stupid and just not worth it.

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/20...aro_forme.html

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    If we are relegated to hiring either a current assistant or some young up and comer then we can't hire any better in baseball than we do football. I mean if we are really a Top 10 job in college baseball then we should certainly be able to hire a Top 30 sitting HC with a track record. I realize that Cohen did not do that last time but I think that was just because he was enamored with AC along with the bad timing of hiring after fall practice.
    I agree with this 100 percent. Rep given.

Banned
    vCash
    U can bet Cohen will be courting Corbin something fierce these next few weeks.