Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cohen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    Thanks for bringing up the subject vv83. I?ve been pondering this myself since Hack broke the story.

The narrative on this board is that Cohen is always prepared and thorough in his business. Regardless of the time he had to make the hire (which is easily debunked by the fact that Henderson was on staff and had experience) and the fact that he couldn?t predict Cann?s sleezy ways - he still was the one that made the hire.

Stricklin gets roasted for the Ray hire, yet is Cohen getting a pass on Cann? Ray didn?t win many games (like Croom), but he at least cleaned up the program. It sounds like Cann was slowly destroying the program, regardless of last year and his recruiting ability.

Does Cohen get a pass because he?s still the AD? He has controlled the narrative very well and I respect his decision to cut bait, but that doesn?t absolve him from his responsibility of tarnishing the program?s image.
    Stricklin let ray stay too long when everyone knew he wasn't worth a shit after two seasons and we let Croom stay three years too long. Cohen had enough sense to let the guy go. Stricklin and Templeton were dumb asses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    In the last 5 seasons we have made the CWS and 2 other Supers- the baseball program will be fine as long as the right coach replaces Cann. We arent in a dead period like we were when Polk tried to kill the program at the end of his career
    Agreed. It has too many pluses going for it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Stricklin let ray stay too long when everyone knew he wasn't worth a shit after two seasons and we let Croom stay three years too long. Cohen had enough sense to let the guy go. Stricklin and Templeton were dumb asses.
    So you're saying fire Croom after the 05 season?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    This I can understand! Thanks for an objective rebuttal and I agree!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think if he had simply kept coaching hard
    I think this was part of the problem.

vCash
    Maybe I wasn’t clear — I’m not suggesting Ray was a good coach. I was just making a comparison on how a coaching hire shaped what people here say about Stricklin, yet that doesn’t seem to apply to Cohen.

I seem to be in the minority that think quite a bit of this does fall on Cohen’s shoulders. While no one ever makes great hires 100% of the time, this hire was his first, in his sport, and to be his successor. He owns some of the blame.

His legacy will be about hires/fires in the 3 big sports and he isn’t off to a good start....
    It comes down to where your successes and failures come. I think Strick made some strong hires in the minor sports - Van, track coach, golf coaches - not to mention he hired Vic. But, the combo of being too scared of Dick Move to motivate him and the Ray hire negate those positives.

vCash
    Thanks for bringing up the subject vv83. I?ve been pondering this myself since Hack broke the story.

The narrative on this board is that Cohen is always prepared and thorough in his business. Regardless of the time he had to make the hire (which is easily debunked by the fact that Henderson was on staff and had experience) and the fact that he couldn?t predict Cann?s sleezy ways - he still was the one that made the hire.

Stricklin gets roasted for the Ray hire, yet is Cohen getting a pass on Cann? Ray didnt win many games (like Croom), but he at least cleaned up the program. It sounds like Cann was slowly destroying the program, regardless of last year and his recruiting ability.

Does Cohen get a pass because he?s still the AD? He has controlled the narrative very well and I respect his decision to cut bait, but that doesn?t absolve him from his responsibility of tarnishing the program?s image.
    Cohen is going to try and hire the best person available,and who he believes can move the specific athletic program forward and hopefully to the next level. He does not have a crystal ball where he can foresee what the future holds for someone who had Cohen's confidence and trust, and one who Cohen felt could move our baseball program to the next level. and then this coach who had this golden opportunity blows it. I think if you go back and check what was said by the baseball people in the know. They thought that Cohen made a great hire and that Cann was an up and coming outstanding young coach, and was a great fit for MSU.
    Last edited by yjnkdawg; 02-22-2018 at 10:41 PM.

vCash
    Maybe I wasn’t clear — I’m not suggesting Ray was a good coach. I was just making a comparison on how a coaching hire shaped what people here say about Stricklin, yet that doesn’t seem to apply to Cohen.

I seem to be in the minority that think quite a bit of this does fall on Cohen’s shoulders. While no one ever makes great hires 100% of the time, this hire was his first, in his sport, and to be his successor. He owns some of the blame.

His legacy will be about hires/fires in the 3 big sports and he isn’t off to a good start....
    Bc SS hired a bad COACH. He took a gamble on an unknown and Ray sucked as a coach.

Cohen hired a great coach when nobody knew the guy would be a great coach. He took a gamble on an unknown and his instincts were right. Not his fault Cann couldn?t keep in his pants.

You can argue Cohen?s instincts were off regarding Cann as a person, but you can?t argue his instincts in hiring a ball coach. Far superior to those of SS.