Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cohen

vCash

Cohen

We all praised Cohen for the Cann and JM hire and how nice it was to have an AD that isn't scared, and goes out there and gets young coaches on the rise. Does anyone feel different about it now?
    I still feel like Cohen made a great hire in Cann. I mean I guess there's no way for Cohen to have known it would have ended like this so there's no way I could blame him for the hire. I wonder if this make Cohen consider more mature coaches in the future, or if he'll continue to go after the younger rising stars in coaching. I know JM is a little older, but he kind of fits the same mold of hot commodity, rising name in football. I think I like it in basketball and football, but wouldn't mind if we went for top tier in baseball, just because we should have the resources to pull one in that sport.

vCash
    There's No comparison between jomo and cann as far as experience and SEChead coach preparedness

vCash
    Up until Friday Cann, was the best hire in the world. Cohen was probably on this problem before then, that we will never know. It not for this unexpected issue, the hiring of Andy Cannizaro could possibly have been the greatest hire in MSU athletic history. At this point Vic Shaefer is our greatest hire!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Up until Friday Cann, was the best hire in the world. Cohen was probably on this problem before then, that we will never know. It not for this unexpected issue, the hiring of Andy Cannizaro could possibly have been the greatest hire in MSU athletic history. At this point Vic Shaefer is our greatest hire!
    Ron Polk is up there

vCash
    If we’d had more time, AC, more than likely, wouldn’t have been the head coach. After last year, Cohen looked like a genius. I don’t blame Cohen at all, he couldn’t hold Cann’s pecker... well, he could but that’d be weird.

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    You hire the best person for the job, if they screw it up, that is on them.

vCash
    Thanks for bringing up the subject vv83. I’ve been pondering this myself since Hack broke the story.

The narrative on this board is that Cohen is always prepared and thorough in his business. Regardless of the time he had to make the hire (which is easily debunked by the fact that Henderson was on staff and had experience) and the fact that he couldn’t predict Cann’s sleezy ways - he still was the one that made the hire.

Stricklin gets roasted for the Ray hire, yet is Cohen getting a pass on Cann? Ray didn’t win many games (like Croom), but he at least cleaned up the program. It sounds like Cann was slowly destroying the program, regardless of last year and his recruiting ability.

Does Cohen get a pass because he’s still the AD? He has controlled the narrative very well and I respect his decision to cut bait, but that doesn’t absolve him from his responsibility of tarnishing the program’s image.

vCash
    I think we need to be careful about assuming that every "young" up and coming assistant will end up doing something like Cann did. We're the vast minority in terms of situations like that.

We need to go after the best coach possible- and from what I can tell Cohen values intelligence and being cutting edge over anything else. I have to believe that Cohen will hire someone with those traits.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Ron Polk is up there
    Yep 7, you're right about Polk, it would have been an absolute if not for Polk II. Let's blame Larry T for that. Hail State! My brother!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    Thanks for bringing up the subject vv83. I’ve been pondering this myself since Hack broke the story.

The narrative on this board is that Cohen is always prepared and thorough in his business. Regardless of the time he had to make the hire (which is easily debunked by the fact that Henderson was on staff and had experience) and the fact that he couldn’t predict Cann’s sleezy ways - he still was the one that made the hire.

Stricklin gets roasted for the Ray hire, yet is Cohen getting a pass on Cann? Ray didn’t win many games (like Croom), but he at least cleaned up the program. It sounds like Cann was slowly destroying the program, regardless of last year and his recruiting ability.

Does Cohen get a pass because he’s still the AD? He has controlled the narrative very well and I respect his decision to cut bait, but that doesn’t absolve him from his responsibility of tarnishing the program’s image.
    It's apples and oranges. Cann was everything Cohen thought he was until his head got too big- which is essentially what happened. It wasn't just the affair in and of itself and that's important to remember. What Cann did with our team last year was almost miraculous. You don't do that as a coach unless you are high caliber. Ray never did anything close to that.

Cohen ended this swiftly- and because of that we have a chance to turn the season around and the very least he minimized the long term damage to the program.

Ray was a terrible hire.

vCash
    Ron Polk is up there
    No- the Polk hire is the most overrated hire.

We had been the CWS just 5 years before Polk.
    We have 17 SEC titles in baseball- Polk won 4 of them.
    Polk also benefited by the expansion of the NCAA baseball tourney during the 70's
    Once the SEC put money into baseball- Polk became middle of the pack.

The best thing Polk ever did was showing the way for college coaches to build their baseball programs and facilities to keep them from just bleeding money. That is what he will always be remembered for
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Cann just fell victim to the white she devil.

vCash

You know a fella named Ron White said "you can't fix stupid"!

vCash

I was also thinking about how Stricklin got roasted for RR but Cohen gets a pass for Cann. I think it's fair to assume Cann would have been more successful than RR was if he could have kept his head on straight. Also, ever since Monday night I've been hearing all these rumors about how Cann was losing the team, and player's didn't like him, etc. I take it with a grain of salt because I never once heard that until he was fired, but do you think that factored into Cohen firing him and cutting his loss? Like, if the players adored him and the locker room was great, but he still made this same mistake I wonder if this would have gone away somehow

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    If we’d had more time, AC, more than likely, wouldn’t have been the head coach. After last year, Cohen looked like a genius. I don’t blame Cohen at all, he couldn’t hold Cann’s pecker... well, he could but that’d be weird.
    Should have just cut it off instead of holding it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think we need to be careful about assuming that every "young" up and coming assistant will end up doing something like Cann did. We're the vast minority in terms of situations like that.

We need to go after the best coach possible- and from what I can tell Cohen values intelligence and being cutting edge over anything else. I have to believe that Cohen will hire someone with those traits.
    Yep. Spot on.

vCash
    Cann is a hell of a really recruiter and coach. And he can motivate guys. It ain?t on Cohen that Cann couldn?t keep it in his pants. The he was too young argument fails too. Cann will turn 40 soon. That?s plenty old enough for the avg person to know better than to go around banging whores.

RR was a bad recruiter, an average coach at best. It was a horrible hire and SS gets the blame for hiring him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    No- the Polk hire is the most overrated hire.

We had been the CWS just 5 years before Polk.
    We have 17 SEC titles in baseball- Polk won 4 of them.
    Polk also benefited by the expansion of the NCAA baseball tourney during the 70's
    Once the SEC put money into baseball- Polk became middle of the pack.

The best thing Polk ever did was showing the way for college coaches to build their baseball programs and facilities to keep them from just bleeding money. That is what he will always be remembered for
    We have been to the CWS 9 times... 7 were under Polk. Most of Polk tenure was while Bertman was at LSU, so sec titles were hard to come by

vCash
    We have been to the CWS 9 times... 6 were under Polk. Most of Polk tenure was while Bertman was at LSU, so sec titles were hard to come by
    FiFY

The 1998 appearance was McMahon.

vCash
    We have been to the CWS 9 times... 7 were under Polk. Most of Polk tenure was while Bertman was at LSU, so sec titles were hard to come by
    Fake News

Gregory CWS in 1971
    MacMahon in 1998
    Cohen in 2013

As has been mentioned over and over and over- the basketball and baseball tourneys werent expanded . The NCAA baseball Tourney was only 8 teams for years- until it expanded to 32 in 1975- the year before Polk became our coach. So Polk came to State right as the NCAA Tourney expanded to 8 regionals of 4 teams and it continued expansion thru the 80's. This was all at time Polk had the best stadium in the country built for him- and other SEC programs refused to put money into baseball.

Polk had an 8 year head start on Bertman- yet was overtaken almost immediately. After Bertman arrived and then Clark, Palmeiro, Brantley, and Thigpen graduated the next season- Polk only won 1 SEC title and only made 3 CWS appearances in 19 seasons at State.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is