Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cohen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Fake News

Gregory CWS in 1971
    MacMahon in 1998
    Cohen in 2013

As has been mentioned over and over and over- the basketball and baseball tourneys werent expanded . The NCAA baseball Tourney was only 8 teams for years- until it expanded to 32 in 1975- the year before Polk became our coach. So Polk came to State right as the NCAA Tourney expanded to 8 regionals of 4 teams and it continued expansion thru the 80's. This was all at time Polk had the best stadium in the country built for him- and other SEC programs refused to put money into baseball.

Polk had an 8 year head start on Bertman- yet was overtaken almost immediately. After Bertman arrived and then Clark, Palmeiro, Brantley, and Thigpen graduated the next season- Polk only won 1 SEC title and only made 3 CWS appearances in 19 seasons at State.
    6 of our 9 CWS, my bad...

1979, 1981, 1985, 1990, 1997, 2007

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    Stricklin gets roasted for the Ray hire, yet is Cohen getting a pass on Cann?
    Ahh .. Ray couldn't recruit OR coach. It took Howland 2 1/2 years to turn the BB program around. Cann could recruit AND coach. HUGE difference. This is on Cann NOT Cohen,
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    Although Cohen had to make a hire quickly he will tell you that he had been watching Cann for a while in case he had the opportunity to hire him. I think a little of this has to fall on Cohen and I think he would agree. Part of hiring someone for a public position is knowing about them personally as well as professionally. I?ll bet Cohen will have blood pressure spikes for a while when thinking about this.

vCash
    Gregory went 21-5-1 and 14-1-1 in the SEC during 1962 and didnt even make the postseason
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    No- the Polk hire is the most overrated hire.

We had been the CWS just 5 years before Polk.
    We have 17 SEC titles in baseball- Polk won 4 of them.
    Polk also benefited by the expansion of the NCAA baseball tourney during the 70's
    Once the SEC put money into baseball- Polk became middle of the pack.

The best thing Polk ever did was showing the way for college coaches to build their baseball programs and facilities to keep them from just bleeding money. That is what he will always be remembered for
    Got the memo .. you DESPISE Polk AND Stans!

Polk hire is NOT overrated. You can't have it both ways .. we won most of those 17 SEC baseball titles when NO ONE other than MSU cared about baseball.
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    T

Stricklin gets roasted for the Ray hire, yet is Cohen getting a pass on Cann? .
    Cann made the Sweet 16 last year. Ray never won 16 did he?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post
    Polk hire is NOT overrated. You can't have it both ways .. we won most of those 17 SEC baseball titles when NO ONE other than MSU cared about baseball.
    Who is trying to have it both ways? We were a baseball school before Polk and continue to be one after him. He had 3 CWS appearances his last 19 seasons here- most people at State would call that underachieving

vCash
    No- the Polk hire is the most overrated hire.

We had been the CWS just 5 years before Polk.
    We have 17 SEC titles in baseball- Polk won 4 of them.
    Polk also benefited by the expansion of the NCAA baseball tourney during the 70's
    Once the SEC put money into baseball- Polk became middle of the pack.

The best thing Polk ever did was showing the way for college coaches to build their baseball programs and facilities to keep them from just bleeding money. That is what he will always be remembered for
    BAHHHH HUMBUGGGG!!!!

vCash
    Yeah, I don't see how Cohen can take any responsibility for this. It's obvious that he did a lot of research. If there had been even a hint of a problem, he would have passed.

That said, I bet Cohen takes a deeper look into the personal life of the next candidates.

vCash
    Stricklin gets roasted for the Ray hire, yet is Cohen getting a pass on Cann?
    Ray was an awful hire. We didn’t improve in 3 years. He couldn’t recruit and he couldn’t really coach. Just a disaster in over his head. Cann was a really good/ great baseball coach that had off the field issues. Yes, to me, Cohen gets a pass on this one.

vCash
    In the last 5 seasons we have made the CWS and 2 other Supers- the baseball program will be fine as long as the right coach replaces Cann. We arent in a dead period like we were when Polk tried to kill the program at the end of his career

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vv83 View Post
    I was also thinking about how Stricklin got roasted for RR but Cohen gets a pass for Cann. I think it's fair to assume Cann would have been more successful than RR was if he could have kept his head on straight. Also, ever since Monday night I've been hearing all these rumors about how Cann was losing the team, and player's didn't like him, etc. I take it with a grain of salt because I never once heard that until he was fired, but do you think that factored into Cohen firing him and cutting his loss? Like, if the players adored him and the locker room was great, but he still made this same mistake I wonder if this would have gone away somehow
    That's because for once in our MSU lifetimes we took care of things before they got way too far out of hand.

And I'm not sure how much of a difference it would have made, but Cann allegedly lied about the affairs when Cohen asked him about it. If Cann had told Cohen the truth? I don't know what happens.

But yes, the players absolutely factored in. Some of them were interviewed about it and some had expressed their concerns to Cohen about Cann.

I think if he had simply kept coaching hard like he did last year and told the truth he would still be around. And maybe not? We'll never know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post
    Yeah, I don't see how Cohen can take any responsibility for this. It's obvious that he did a lot of research. If there had been even a hint of a problem, he would have passed.

That said, I bet Cohen takes a deeper look into the personal life of the next candidates.
    Come on, you think Cann just got this way?There was a hint.

ETA: I'm not blaming Cohen for hiring him. I would have to. Arguably the best young up & comer in the country.
    Last edited by tireddawg; 02-22-2018 at 09:17 PM.

vCash
    In the last 5 seasons we have made the CWS and 2 other Supers- the baseball program will be fine as long as the right coach replaces Cann. We arent in a dead period like we were when Polk tried to kill the program at the end of his career
    If anything I think our ceiling is higher than it ever has been.

Case in point? Compare the names in the coaching search this time around to when Polk II left. You won't see Baseball America saying we should give Mitch Thompson a shot.

vCash
    I think Cohen made a brilliant hire - in Gary Henderson. By having Henderson on staff, he had a steady, experienced coach to back up Cann. Cann - while a hot commodity - was still unknown in terms of program management and loyalty. That is risky. What if Cann had done well last year, and the Yankees came calling with a AAA job or a shot at #2 in NY (Hell, they hired Aaron ****ing Boone - they could have just as well hired Cann). You had a trusted insurance policy sitting on the bench - and now that is paying off.

vCash
    great point Brunswick

vCash
    Henderson was a good hire. I was surprised that we were able to hire him, and surprised we were able to keep him after Cann was hired. After seeing him for a couple years now, he strikes me as a guy who's content with being a well paid assistant who doesn't have to be the public face of a large program. I guess we will see if that's the case.

vCash
    Ahh .. Ray couldn't recruit OR coach. It took Howland 2 1/2 years to turn the BB program around. Cann could recruit AND coach. HUGE difference. This is on Cann NOT Cohen,
    My thought exactly

vCash
    Cann made the Sweet 16 last year. Ray never won 16 did he?
    Maybe I wasn’t clear — I’m not suggesting Ray was a good coach. I was just making a comparison on how a coaching hire shaped what people here say about Stricklin, yet that doesn’t seem to apply to Cohen.

I seem to be in the minority that think quite a bit of this does fall on Cohen’s shoulders. While no one ever makes great hires 100% of the time, this hire was his first, in his sport, and to be his successor. He owns some of the blame.

His legacy will be about hires/fires in the 3 big sports and he isn’t off to a good start....

vCash
    I think Cohen is the best AD in the country, Im biased but who cares, and I wouldnt trade him for anyone. Hes probably one of the select few that really actually loves his school and always will put State first.

Amazing to think we've had Greg Byrne and John Cohen as AD's in recent years. 2 of the best in the country