Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We should easily be able to fund full scholarships for the whole baseball team...

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    We should follow the formula that Florida, LSU, and Vanderbilt have. Because we realistically can and it's a proven formula in Omaha.
    I agree it?s a good formula for those schools but we are not them. I disagree that it?s a good formula for us. We can?t offer the extra money.

As for the JUCOs, I did not list them to talk about each one specifically. The point is that it is a pot of talented players right under our nose within our state borders

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5049 View Post
    I agree it?s a good formula for those schools but we are not them. I disagree that it?s a good formula for us. We can?t offer the extra money.

As for the JUCOs, I did not list them to talk about each one specifically. The point is that it is a pot of talented players right under our nose within our state borders
    We do offer extra money- it's just that Ron Polk conditioned many of our fans into thinking that we couldn't. We've been doing it for years. We just use it in the form of scholarship money and grants and waivers depending on the player.

The money issue is incredibly overrated. I always laugh at people that come to the conclusion that guys that go to school and intend to leave after three years without a degree to play a sport are somehow at the same time enamored with Vanderbilt education. The reason they are going to Vanderbilt is because their coaches have shown that they can get them to MLB- that's really all they want to do. They had a pitching coach named Derek Johnson who is now the Brewers pitching coach who started everything for them. Now they have another elite pitching coach in Scott Brown who has shown that he can get players to MLB.

We absolutely can recruit like them- Cann was well on his way to doing that. We are probably going to hire someone else that uses that same formula. The problem has been that we've been doing what you suggested- go after a ton of JUCO's- and it has caused us to be fairly unstable- terrible 2015, win the SEC in 2016. What Cohen did was essentially the same thing Jackie did with JUCO's.

I didn't list those players to run them down- just to illustrate what the Mississippi JUCO leagues produce because those guys that you listed were some of the better players in that league. A team of mostly MS JUCO players is going to get us a USM/La Tech level squad but in the SEC which would translate to middle of the league at best with a team like what USM has now and what La Tech has had recently.

We already get the best in Mississippi out of the high school ranks- and we develop them into quality SEC players more times than not. Look at the list of players that we have had that have gone to MLB recently:

P- Graveman, Holder, Girodo, Lindgren, Stratton, Hudson will likely be up this year and was a first round pick, Pilkington will likely be a first round pick this year, Easley, Moreland, Tyler Moore, Adam Frazier, Hunter Renfroe, Rooker was a first round pick and may make it up this year, Woodruff, and Jake Mangum is a consensus top 100 prospect.

Out of that group- ONE MS JUCO player and actually only ONE overall that we've recently sent to MLB and that's Tyler Moore. If I remember correctly he went to Meridian because of grades and was a Dandy Dozen player so he was hardly in the class of players you listed. Every other player that I listed regardless of what state they were from came to MSU directly from high school. And that includes some guys that have some impressive accolades- Johnny Bench winners, SEC Triple Crown winners, All-Americans, and several first round picks.

vCash
    And to pile on- if Jacob Robson makes it to MLB in a couple of years, and he is listed on the Tigers top 40 prospect list- we will have produced just as many MLB players from Canada as we have from the MS JUCO system the past 10 years.

Banned
    vCash
    We absolutely can recruit like them- Cann was well on his way to doing that. We are probably going to hire someone else that uses that same formula. The problem has been that we've been doing what you suggested- go after a ton of JUCO's- and it has caused us to be fairly unstable- terrible 2015, win the SEC in 2016. What Cohen did was essentially the same thing Jackie did with JUCO's.
    I mean, I just disagree, no reason to go back and forth, but I do want to debate one thing - 2015. That was caused by the sophomore class' inability to step up, not a JUCO or anyone else. That was on Dakota Hudson and Zac Houston. With those two guys we avoid the ten or so 8th inning flameouts, and we make a regional.

Really, the only inconsistent year Cohen had was 2015 and it was because of those young pitchers. Hudson and Houston were two high profile signees and we only got one year out of both, guess I could throw Vance Tatum in here too

Banned
    vCash
    Something needs to be done about Title IX and the 11.7 limit. More H.S. baseball players need to have the option to go to college instead of toiling away in the minors while missing out on an education. Having something to fall back on if the MLB dream doesn't materialize. That's more important than say for instance the Univ of Iowa having to build a lake to accommodate a new Women's rowing team to maintain Title IX compliance and other Universities simply having to drop their baseball program all together based on this very flawed law.

vCash
    I don't pretend to know any details about how this works, but I know that all I hear about is how school X or Y has such a huge advantage with giving out scholarships.

Nobody ever talks about how much a player would owe after all the aid money is applied. Isn't that really all that matters? I know State is a very good value. While we don't have any of those so-called advantages, I'd say most of those schools have higher tuition and living costs that negates at least some of that advantage.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post
    I don't pretend to know any details about how this works, but I know that all I hear about is how school X or Y has such a huge advantage with giving out scholarships.

Nobody ever talks about how much a player would owe after all the aid money is applied. Isn't that really all that matters? I know State is a very good value. While we don't have any of those so-called advantages, I'd say most of those schools have higher tuition and living costs that negates at least some of that advantage.
    It's basically summed up like this:

Vandy and other private schools can give out need-based aid to poorer kids who qualify academically, I'm talking, the whole scholarship. Of course, they have to qualify. Private schools are a whole other ball of wax. They certainly have advantages, but I also think they can get caught with no 'middle class' on their teams.

A school with a lotto can entice in-state kids to stay home while spending their 11.7 elsewhere. However, this is where your total cost-of-attendance comes in. I would imagine the real benefactor of these scholarships are cheaper public schools in lotto states, like Georgia Southern, Kennesaw State, UCF, Memphis, Louisiana Lafayette, Louisiana Tech, etc.

I am sure Mississippi also has some scholarship money available in other places, that could replace a lotto. Nobody seems to be able to tell us where that is, however. That is the kicker.

The Mississippi JUCO system is cheap, cheap, cheap for us. Kids can develop, and you often don't need to use a scholarship on them upon graduation.

I can't imagine that Cohen (and many other coaches) don't have a spreadsheet with cost-of-attendance figures for colleges all over, combined with available scholarships, in order to target kids. I always figured best bang for our buck as far as high schoolers is obviously Mississippi and then Alabama after that. After those are exhausted, you'd need to go to a lotto state with really expensive schools and sell them on playing at MSU rather than Kennesaw or MTSU, for less money.

vCash
    We do offer extra money- it's just that Ron Polk conditioned many of our fans into thinking that we couldn't. We've been doing it for years. We just use it in the form of scholarship money and grants and waivers depending on the player.

The money issue is incredibly overrated. I always laugh at people that come to the conclusion that guys that go to school and intend to leave after three years without a degree to play a sport are somehow at the same time enamored with Vanderbilt education. The reason they are going to Vanderbilt is because their coaches have shown that they can get them to MLB- that's really all they want to do. They had a pitching coach named Derek Johnson who is now the Brewers pitching coach who started everything for them. Now they have another elite pitching coach in Scott Brown who has shown that he can get players to MLB.

We absolutely can recruit like them- Cann was well on his way to doing that. We are probably going to hire someone else that uses that same formula.
    Thank you. This answers my questions and confirms some things I wondered about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    The way to do it would be through the Bulldog Club. Endow a scholarship for baseball. It can be done....I did it.
    Tell us more, is that to help with the 11.7 or is it for an additional scholarship and can you pick which player?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shannondawg View Post
    Tell us more, is that to help with the 11.7 or is it for an additional scholarship and can you pick which player?
    Doing anything through the BC would only be funding the 11.7.
    As explained the only way you can give the baseball players more is to give ALL STUDENTS more. If you tried to give more to the baseball players specifically that would be against NCAA rules. The NCAA limit is 11.7 and you can't skirt that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shannondawg View Post
    No. You can't. I don't know what he's referring to but you can't just provide an additional scholarship. Just can't.
    Last edited by Homedawg; 02-23-2018 at 05:38 PM.

vCash
    Sorry if I confused anyone. What I meant was that all 11.7 scholarships could be endowed. Not that anything in excess of the 11.7 could be added. And...no, you can't pick a specific player. Also, I did it way back in 1988 in memory of my brother who had passed away a few months earlier. Was suggested to me by the late Molly Halbert. Hope that clarifies things.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    I mean, I just disagree, no reason to go back and forth, but I do want to debate one thing - 2015. That was caused by the sophomore class' inability to step up, not a JUCO or anyone else. That was on Dakota Hudson and Zac Houston. With those two guys we avoid the ten or so 8th inning flameouts, and we make a regional.

Really, the only inconsistent year Cohen had was 2015 and it was because of those young pitchers. Hudson and Houston were two high profile signees and we only got one year out of both, guess I could throw Vance Tatum in here too
    You're blaming THAT season on two guys that Butch hardly threw and when finally given a chance finished third and fourth on our staff in ERA in SEC play and had better stats that some of the guys we kept trotting out there? Take a gander and Ross Mitchell's and Preston Brown's stats for that year and get back to me. If anything we should have thrown Hudson and Houston more. The fact that one of the best hitters on that team was cut the next year says a lot about that team and what was wrong with it.

Don't look at it as a disagreement as much as it is an education. I believe Cohen knows how to win a National Championship here and the formula for that- which was why he hired Cann. And why he should hire the same type of coach with the exception that he will focus on the baseball team and not his side fling.

Banned
    vCash
    Don't look at it as a disagreement as much as it is an education. I believe Cohen knows how to win a National Championship here and the formula for that- which was why he hired Cann. And why he should hire the same type of coach with the exception that he will focus on the baseball team and not his side fling.
    Haha ok fella. You’re not educating me on anything. Cohen’s original formula was what worked, I guess you have forgotten 2013, after Burroughs left we started recruiting PG All Americans

If the education you propose is the same one the yielded your views on scholarships, I think I’ll pass LOL
    Last edited by 5049; 02-24-2018 at 12:04 AM.

vCash
    Haha ok fella. You’re not educating me on anything. Cohen’s original formula was what worked, I guess you have forgotten 2013, after Burroughs left we started recruiting PG All Americans

If the education you propose is the same one the yielded your views on scholarships, I think I’ll pass LOL
    Yeah- I was pretty miserable during that SEC Championship run and two SR's with those PG All-American players.** Those PG All-Americans yielded two first round draft picks- including the SEC's first Triple Crown winner since 1984 and every member of the starting rotation and all but one position player was drafted or will be (I'm assuming Mangum and Pilkington will both be drafted) by MLB. The one player that wasn't drafted just so happened to be drafted only started over Hunter Stovall because Stovall was injured some that year- so if you count who would have been our "normal" starting second baseman it would be the entire team.

You're also mistaken about us not recruiting PG All-Americans under Burroughs- we started doing that from day one with Cohen starting with Chris Stratton and then followed that up with CT Bradford, Daryl Norris, Adam Frazier, and many others.

I am educating you. I'm really not trying to be cocky. It's just that there is a very clear formula and the one that you are promoting has been proven to NOT work and would end up hurting us. And I don't want to see any of our fans clamoring for something that I know won't work because I do know that the athletic department looks at these message boards to see fan opinions. Basically what you are advocating would be like someone saying that we should go back to Croom because they think that would work when everyone else knows it won't.

If you think that we have to recruit JUCO players you're vastly underestimating what our resources and potential actually are. We are elite and have the resources to be elite and have raised our profile quite a bit since Cohen took over. In some ways it reminds me of Alabama football before Saban- and I hope that Cohen and company do the same thing. Alabama was a very good program but had the desire to be the elite football program in the country. So what did they do? They threw an excessive amount of money at the best coach in America and landed him. I hope we do the same with our baseball program. At least that is what I would do if I was Cohen.

If you think I am wrong about the scholarships- you should ask a MLB scout. I think you will be surprised to find that they agree with me.

vCash
    This is also why we should be using the JUCO system more.

Tanner Poole, Cole Marsh, Spencer Price off this team alone. Ryan Rigby, Trey Jolly, Luke Reynolds from the last few.
    Anybody that thinks jucos are the way to go are fools. Juco ball is weak from a talent perspective. We?ve tried it before and it failed. You can take a couple a year to fill holes from the draft but that?s about it.

Banned
    vCash
    Yeah- I was pretty miserable during that SEC Championship run and two SR's with those PG All-American players.** Those PG All-Americans yielded two first round draft picks- including the SEC's first Triple Crown winner since 1984 and every member of the starting rotation and all but one position player was drafted or will be (I'm assuming Mangum and Pilkington will both be drafted) by MLB. The one player that wasn't drafted just so happened to be drafted only started over Hunter Stovall because Stovall was injured some that year- so if you count who would have been our "normal" starting second baseman it would be the entire team.

You're also mistaken about us not recruiting PG All-Americans under Burroughs- we started doing that from day one with Cohen starting with Chris Stratton and then followed that up with CT Bradford, Daryl Norris, Adam Frazier, and many others.
    term flew right over your head

I am educating you. I'm really not trying to be cocky. It's just that there is a very clear formula and the one that you are promoting has been proven to NOT work and would end up hurting us. And I don't want to see any of our fans clamoring for something that I know won't work because I do know that the athletic department looks at these message boards to see fan opinions. Basically what you are advocating would be like someone saying that we should go back to Croom because they think that would work when everyone else knows it won't.
    sorry you don't have that power and you are wrong anyway because it already has worked, and works all over the country

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Disagree. I don't have a problem with them getting academic scholarships if they qualify. But they shouldn't be treated special just because they play baseball. Remember ... we are first and foremost an academic institution.
    Most of our baseball players are very sharp. An ACT 27/28 is a full ride scholarship., Would be Interested to know how many players are full ride academic scholarships are playing this year.