Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We should easily be able to fund full scholarships for the whole baseball team...

vCash

MSU should easily be able to fund full scholarships for the whole baseball team...

35 scholarships x $20,000 per year tuition/room/board = only $700,000 per year. (11.7 of those are already covered)

Our endowment is now nearly $500 million, I imagine we should be able to fund full 'academic' scholarships for the whole baseball team if we really wanted to.

We could (find a way to legally) create a new scholarship fund with 51% regular students 49% baseball players and get alums to donate for it. How much would we need to create the scholarship? Is the principal left alone like the endowment?

Think about how much our athletic revenues have grown and how much State has spent on athletic facilities over the past 10 years.

$700,000 per year is only 0.7% of our annual athletic revenues. Over the past 10 years we have spent/are spending:

$72 million on Davis Wade expansion
    $55 million on Dudy Noble Field
    $25 million on football facility
    $11 million on basketball practice facility

We should be able to afford to fund full scholarships for the whole baseball team and should not use that as an excuse for recruiting or getting a new coach.

Edit to add: I KNOW the NCAA limits baseball athletic scholarships to 11.7. I'm talking about in addition, through academic scholarships, etc. (I thought that was obvious).

Everyone talks about Vandy using their 4 billion dollar endowment to fill out baseball scholarships with academic scholarships and giving them an advantage in recruiting. I know we don't have a 4 billion dollar endowment and we also can't just set aside money for baseball players. But since it would only take at most $700k/year (at MSU), our $500 million endowment and $50-100 million in athletic donations over 10 years should be enough to do what Vandy does for their baseball players.
    Last edited by MedDawg; 02-22-2018 at 04:07 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MedDawg View Post
    35 scholarships x $20,000 per year tuition/room/board = only $700,000 per year. (11.7 of those are already covered)

Our endowment is now nearly $500 million, I imagine we should be able to fund full 'academic' scholarships for the whole baseball team if we really wanted to.

We could (find a way to legally) create a new scholarship fund with 51% regular students 49% baseball players and get alums to donate for it. How much would we need to create the scholarship? Is the principal left alone like the endowment?

Think about how much our athletic revenues have grown and how much State has spent on athletic facilities over the past 10 years.

$700,000 per year is only 0.7% of our annual athletic revenues. Over the past 10 years we have spent/are spending:

We should be able to afford to fund full scholarships for the whole baseball team and should not use that as an excuse for recruiting or getting a new coach.
    The NCAA does not allow more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MedDawg View Post

If it were that easy to do , I imagine it would have been done when Polk was our coach. The key is the 11.7 you mentioned. The max the NCAA allows. That is why baseball programs have to fund partial scholarships and hope for a player being on a scholastic scholarship when possible.

vCash
    The key is it has to be the "same standards" as regular students. So, we should give them leadership scholarships based on the windfall. We can do it on a case by case basis- waiving out of state tuition if a player qualifies and etc.

vCash
    This is why JC baseball is pretty strong in MIssissippi.... some of the marginal D1 guys are going JC because they will get a full ride compared to taking a chance on getting cut from 35 man roster and not getting any $....

vCash
    The way to do it would be through the Bulldog Club. Endow a scholarship for baseball. It can be done....I did it.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    I didn't think it was allowed in NCAA rules.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkernhelldawg View Post
    I didn't think it was allowed in NCAA rules.
    The only way you could do it was make it where all students were eligible... like the Georgia "Hope" scholarship

vCash
    Vanderbilt has such high cost of attendance, it's easy to put all of the baseball players on need based scholarships, that it's huge endowment provides for.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    This is why JC baseball is pretty strong in MIssissippi.... some of the marginal D1 guys are going JC because they will get a full ride compared to taking a chance on getting cut from 35 man roster and not getting any $....
    This is also why we should be using the JUCO system more.

Tanner Poole, Cole Marsh, Spencer Price off this team alone. Ryan Rigby, Trey Jolly, Luke Reynolds from the last few.

Banned
    vCash
    I like your thinking, Meddawg. I think the problem is going to be how to make it appear to be fair across the board, like a lottery.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Eh....nationally.....it's not that strong. And if anything it's watered down. The "marginal" guys you are talking about are going JUCO because it's their best option at that point. We're not losing players to Hinds and Jones.

If you have a legit minimum SEC offer- from MSU or Ole Miss- players are going to take that any and every day over a JUCO offer. It's because it's a statistically better path to the pros. Which is the ultimate goal- get to MLB- not see who can get the biggest scholarship offer.

The thing about JUCO is there is a lot of risk if you actually have a MSU or Ole Miss offer because if you take the JUCO offer there is no guarantee that you will get a SEC offer after JUCO. And you could end up at Belhaven.

The guys that get cut from the 35 man roster are always walk-ons. If you cut a scholarship player you have to play with 34 guys. Just adding that to the conversation.

Some of the guys that are legit prospects are going JUCO because they want to try to get drafted in the top 10-15 so that they can go pro and don't have any real intention of playing in the SEC or anywhere else that's not pro. Like former MSU commit Pearson McMahan. He was drafted in the 19th round and then returned to JUCO and got drafted in the 4th round. There aren't really very many of those types of players and they are a waste of time for MSU to go after because they are going to go pro. The problem is those are the types of JUCO players you need to make an impact on the national stage but again, they rarely go to the SEC or any other college baseball program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5049 View Post
    This is also why we should be using the JUCO system more.

Tanner Poole, Cole Marsh, Spencer Price off this team alone. Ryan Rigby, Trey Jolly, Luke Reynolds from the last few.
    Poole- Role player for us who many of our fans constantly complain about.
    Marsh- Middle relief/midweek starter type who has been suspended once already this year.
    Price- Good closer. You can find good role player types like this in JUCO. Not really a MLB prospect though.
    Rigby- Sidearm guy. Another good type of player you can find in JUCO. At West Alabama now and not really a MLB prospect.
    Jolly- Not on the team anymore
    Reynolds- Not on the team anymore either. Even most of those that think he should have been kept on the team understand it would have been in a reserve role and on the roster he was somewhere between player 33-38 out of 35 and may not have been on the SEC roster.

You can find some good role type players in MS JUCO. Which we do need. But we can't make a living off of it and expect to win National Titles.

You can say that USM's JUCO guys kicked our ass. But I think we all would agree that there were some obvious extenuating circumstances and none of them were in our favor. One of those was the fact that we started four freshmen in the field against a veteran team. By the time those freshmen are juniors they are going to be much better than the players that USM has.

We should follow the formula that Florida, LSU, and Vanderbilt have. Because we realistically can and it's a proven formula in Omaha.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    The way to do it would be through the Bulldog Club. Endow a scholarship for baseball. It can be done....I did it.
    If this is true, I wonder why more people don't? I'm just saying after all these years and as much as our fans follow baseball I would have thought that this would have been brought up at some point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    If this is true, I wonder why more people don't? I'm just saying after all these years and as much as our fans follow baseball I would have thought that this would have been brought up at some point.
    Is the goal of such a Bulldog Club scholarship just to free up more operating revenue for the baseball team? That would make sense, and it seems like baseball fans could do that, like Todd suggests. Lots of private schools have endowed athletic scholarships. I remember hearing a few years ago that Stanford wanted to fully endow all of their athletic scholarships (not sure if they reached that goal).

When I read the original quote above, it seemed like the thought was that a Bulldog Club scholarship for baseball could get around the 11.7 and/or minimum 25% rules. Until the rules are changed or Mississippi State receives some windfall that allows the school to offer academic or leadership scholarships to all students who are at whatever minimum level so a lot of baseball players could also qualify, how would an endowed scholarship increase our competitiveness, aside from freeing up some money to pay quality coaches or (legitimately) support recruiting efforts?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Give us your tired and weak and we will make them strong. Bring us your foreign songs and we will sing along.
    Leave us your broken dreams, we'll give them time to mend. There's still a lot of love living in the Promiseland"
    - as sung by Willie Nelson

vCash
    The key is it has to be the "same standards" as regular students. So, we should give them leadership scholarships based on the windfall. We can do it on a case by case basis- waiving out of state tuition if a player qualifies and etc.
    Disagree. I don't have a problem with them getting academic scholarships if they qualify. But they shouldn't be treated special just because they play baseball. Remember ... we are first and foremost an academic institution.

vCash
    In not sure what he's talking about. But you can't legally give money just set to go to a baseball player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Disagree. I don't have a problem with them getting academic scholarships if they qualify. But they shouldn't be treated special just because they play baseball. Remember ... we are first and foremost an academic institution.
    That's true. But most of our baseball players come in with GPA's of 3.0 or much higher in many instances. Plus, I would say being a likely captain on a baseball team while excelling at the sport would qualify as being a solid leader. At least IMO.

And what I just said is probably very minimal of what they do off the field in high school- I'm sure most play other sports, are active in their church and FCA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5049 View Post
    I like your thinking, Meddawg. I think the problem is going to be how to make it appear to be fair across the board, like a lottery.
    Yeah, the only problem is these two words: Title IX. If we wanted to pursue more schollies, more would have to go to Volleyball/Softball/Soccer, making it fair across the board is our only holdback.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Choctaw Dawg View Post
    Yeah, the only problem is these two words: Title IX. If we wanted to pursue more schollies, more would have to go to Volleyball/Softball/Soccer, making it fair across the board is our only holdback.
    No it?s not. We?re not talking about athletic scholarships.