Thread: Field Turf Warning Track

vCash

Field Turf Warning Track

This might have been answered on here before but are we going to have a Field Turf warning track or will it be a traditional aggregate warning track?

vCash
    They're moving it up behind the infield is all I know.*

vCash
    Looking at the stadium cam it looks like field turf in the right field corner that starts running towards CF.

vCash
    We have the best athletic grass in the world. Why do we put fake grass in parts of the field?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post
    We have the best athletic grass in the world. Why do we put fake grass in parts of the field?
    It's a wear and drainage issue. The field is crowned slightly to drain to the outside - channeling water into foul territory and the warning track - therefore those areas tend to be wetter than the main playing surface. The areas in foul territory tend to take a beating during practices due to the way cages, screens and other side activities. This is especially true early in the season when the rye over-seed is still the dominate grass because the bermuda is still dormant. Prior to the field turf foul territory generally looked like crap most of the season, especially if we had a lot of rain like there has been over the past month. Turf also keeps the track and home plate from getting overly mucky during rain events, which means play can resume faster and player safety is better.

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    It's a wear and drainage issue. The field is crowned slightly to drain to the outside - channeling water into foul territory and the warning track - therefore those areas tend to be wetter than the main playing surface. The areas in foul territory tend to take a beating during practices due to the way cages, screens and other side activities. This is especially true early in the season when the rye over-seed is still the dominate grass because the bermuda is still dormant. Prior to the field turf foul territory generally looked like crap most of the season, especially if we had a lot of rain like there has been over the past month. Turf also keeps the track and home plate from getting overly mucky during rain events, which means play can resume faster and player safety is better.
    I still don?t like it. Plus we put down a new drainage system with the rebuild. Not to mention we have a great grounds crew. If OM can pull it off, we could have pulled it off even better. Don?t like it at all around home plate. Foul territory fine, but not home plate. LSU has the best setup as far as foul territory and home plate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Chucklelips View Post
    I still don?t like it. Plus we put down a new drainage system with the rebuild. Not to mention we have a great grounds crew. If OM can pull it off, we could have pulled it off even better. Don?t like it at all around home plate. Foul territory fine, but not home plate. LSU has the best setup as far as foul territory and home plate.
    I din't say I liked it - I listed the reasons why they did it. Ultimately, even with all of the things we had (new drainage was done around 2012 or 2013, we have always had a great field crew) those areas stayed a mess. It's a pro-active way to avoid rain-outs and improve the durability of the field. I am really surprised more teams haven't done it. As a player - many years as a catcher - I would tell you I hate that shit and it can all burn in hell. It hurts your ankles and knees and rug burn is a bitch.