Thread: Hypothetical: Malik Newman

vCash

Hypothetical: Malik Newman

Listening to Bo Bounds this morning & they are talking about Malik Newman.

Was thinking, if Malik Newman would've signed with Kansas out of high school & then blamed Kansas for him not being a one & done, would he now be the missing piece of MSU's team to become a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 type team?

Malik is a solid player at Kansas, but was so over hyped out of high school that the first school he signed with was going to get blamed for him not reaching expectations.

IDK, I hate to beat a dead horse, but it just seems like had Malik Newman failed somewhere else first, it might have worked out better for our program.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Do we know for certain he would?ve come here after leaving somewhere else? And I?m fairly certain that Pops and his issues follow Malik wherever he goes. Reminds me of a poor man?s Lonzo ball.
    Last edited by RougeDawg; 02-22-2018 at 12:50 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    Do we know for certain he would?ve come here first? And I?m fairly certain that Pops and his issues follow Malik wherever he goes. Reminds me of a poor man?s Lonzo ball.
    Malik hasn't had issues at Kansas as far as I know.

He's also not really a draft prospect. He has kind of morphed into a solid, reliable, good college basketball player, which we could've used.

vCash
    He?s a good college player but a locker room disaster. We would not be a better TEAM with him.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    No he wouldn't be the missing piece. He doesn't do anything extraordinary that would take us over the hump. He would just he another piece to the puzzle not a missing piece.

vCash
    In my opinion he can't hold Nick's jock, nor Peters' when his head is in the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DanDority View Post
    In my opinion he can't hold Nick's jock, nor Peters' when his head is in the game.
    Agree. He's nowhere near as explosive or athletic as those two guys.

He would've been a nice piece on this team though as the 3rd or 4th option

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    No he wouldn't be the missing piece. He doesn't do anything extraordinary that would take us over the hump. He would just he another piece to the puzzle not a missing piece.
    This. What does he add that we need? Worse on defense than our starting guards and no better as an efficient scorer. I would be okay with him getting Carter's minutes, but he wouldn't take us to the next level. I would rather bolster the front court with a version of Mario Kegler that could be a team player and accept his role but unfortunately that didn't exist. Basically upgrade from what Stapleton gives but lose the nonsense he brings.