Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What an SEC mess heading into tomorrow and Saturday

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipedream View Post
    I do not concede that. It's not considered. Check the link.
    Conference record means nothing? I think that link is garbage then personally. Lunardi said last night only once in modern era has a team under 4 games in conference made the tourney. aTm could very well end up 7-11 with a good rpi... good thing the committee does not even look at conference record
    Last edited by msstate7; 02-21-2018 at 10:16 AM.

Banned
    vCash
    I do not concede that. It's not considered. Check the link.
    The committee is just covering their asses. There will be major issues if for example they take a 6-12 Texas A&M team over an 11-7 MSU team that beat them on the road and finished much higher in the SEC standings. Just won't happen. You can point to one link all you like but the committee has common sense and they would know that would be a disaster for them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    The committee is just covering their asses. There will be major issues if for example they take a 6-12 Texas A&M team over an 11-7 MSU team that beat them on the road and finished much higher in the SEC standings. Just won't happen. You can point to one link all you like but the committee has common sense and they would know that would be a disaster for them.
    If that happened, we’d all be on the phone with the committee lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    In 2011 they left out 12-4 Alabama but took 10-6 Kentucky, 9-7 Vanderbilt, 9-7 Georgia, and 8-8 Tennessee.

Just saying it can happen.
    Wasn't the field smaller then?

vCash
    In 2011 they left out 12-4 Alabama but took 10-6 Kentucky, 9-7 Vanderbilt, 9-7 Georgia, and 8-8 Tennessee.

Agree. But they only took 5 teams that year which I said if that happens this year taking 5 or even 6 we would be in trouble.
    And this was the old east and west format.
    And to add the field was smaller then as well

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwater99 View Post
    Win next 3 and 1 in SECT and we are in.... PERIOD.... Winning will take care of everything..
    2-1 and maybe 1 in tourney to seal the deal. This team looks like a top 40 team. No way we are left out with a 10-8 record and nice showing in SEC Tourney.

vCash
    winning cures all. Handle our bidness and enjoy being home for a week
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Conference record means nothing? I think that link is garbage then personally. Lunardi said last night only once in modern era has a team under 4 games in conference made the tourney. aTm could very well end up 7-11 with a good rpi... good thing the committee does not even look at conference record
    No. It means absolutely nothing to the committee. They care about conference SOS, but not record. Doesn't really matter what you nor anyone else thinks about the info, but it's factual. A&M is safely in right now due to their metrics. It's a numbers game. RPI, KPI, SOR, BPI, KenPom, Sagarin are the important ones then they go from there with SOS, noncon SOS, quadrant wins. It's a whole new set up this year.

vCash
    Look I wanna make the tournament too but what place we finish in the league will have absolutely zero bearing on whether we make it or not. Educate yourself https://t.co/x4VZjsy6yv
    It does matter historically.

Only twice has a Power Conference team been skipped over to pick up two teams. Never has a Power Conference team been skipped over to pick up three teams. If we finish 4th, they aren't going to skip over us to pick up FIVE teams.

Think about it like this.

If we go 11-7, we are likely 3rd or 4th in the SEC. Texas A&M, a LOCK for the tournament is likely to go 8-10.

So, when you are the committee and you are looking at it, you have to say, are we going to leave out a team that finished THREE GAMES better AND beat them on the road? No? Go look at the USC team that was 68th in the RPI and made it. Same situation - finished 4th in a good Pac 12 that got 7 bids.
    Last edited by curmudgeon; 02-21-2018 at 11:19 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post

Only twice has a Power Conference team been skipped over to pick up two teams. Never has a Power Conference team been skipped over to pick up three teams. If we finish 4th, they aren't going to skip over us to pick up FIVE teams.
    Look I'm no bracketologist, but I can read. The NCAA released a sheet that actually shows the criteria they are looking at for each team. Each committee member is going to get a sheet just like that one for every team. Nowhere on that sheet is conference record nor conference finish. I understand trying to compare historical context, but this is a new set up this year. Would it look bad if A&M got in over State looking at conference records and head to head results? Absolutely. But they don't really care what it looks like. There's always massive debate on the last couple of teams in and this new system is trying to provide transparency.

vCash
    Most certain way to make the tournament is to keep winning. To lose casts doubts and we don't need to be trying to work up scenarios where we lose and still make it. The best pathway to the NCAA tournament is the one where we win out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post

So, when you are the committee and you are looking at it, you have to say, are we going to leave out a team that finished THREE GAMES better AND beat them on the road? No? Go look at the USC team that was 68th in the RPI and made it. Same situation - finished 4th in a good Pac 12 that got 7 bids.
    people just dont want to accept facts sometime do they 615?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    people just dont want to accept facts sometime do they 615?
    I don't think there has been a single "fact" not accepted. Opinions, well, they're a different animal altogether.

vCash

In 2011- the SEC was 6th in RPI as a conference. SEC is 3rd this year in conference RPI

vCash
    In 2011- the SEC was 6th in RPI as a conference. SEC is 3rd this year in conference RPI
    Not really relevant. The Committee has, this decade and under a 68 team format, left out an SEC team while still taking 4 teams with a worse conference record, as much as 4 fewer wins. The idea that it's impossible for them to do that this year is simply not backed up by history.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Agree. But they only took 5 teams that year which I said if that happens this year taking 5 or even 6 we would be in trouble.
    And this was the old east and west format.
    And to add the field was smaller then as well
    No, the field was 68 teams then. You do have a good point with the East/West split, but Alabama's SOS was what kept them out, and we have SOS issues this year.

vCash
    Look I'm no bracketologist, but I can read. The NCAA released a sheet that actually shows the criteria they are looking at for each team. Each committee member is going to get a sheet just like that one for every team. Nowhere on that sheet is conference record nor conference finish. I understand trying to compare historical context, but this is a new set up this year. Would it look bad if A&M got in over State looking at conference records and head to head results? Absolutely. But they don't really care what it looks like. There's always massive debate on the last couple of teams in and this new system is trying to provide transparency.
    Can you add and subtract? Because they have record and non-conference record on the sheet and I bet the committee members can add and subtract. Maybe they will be so busy they won't bother looking at conference record, or maybe they will just consciously choose to ignore it because that's a policy decision they've made, but provided somebody's resume is not just discarded immediately, it seems likely many of the committee members will be somewhat curious as to conference record, and the info is there if they can subtract.

vCash
    No, the field was 68 teams then. You do have a good point with the East/West split, but Alabama's SOS was what kept them out, and we have SOS issues this year.
    That's not a comparable situation at all. They didn't take several West teams over Alabama with worse conference record, and those were the only teams with comparable conference schedules to compare.

Not saying they won't do it now because I have no clue, but the overall conference records between east and west teams were pretty meaningless to compare in that year because of the disparity in the quality of the divisions. The SEC conference schedules are still not identical now, but in most cases, they are going to be pretty similar, and provide a reasonable method of comparison, unless the Committee just makes a conscious decision not to make that comparison.

vCash
    Whatever happens happens, I just know we have a coach that will get us to that level if not this year, next year. When he realized we had a problem on offense , he amended the way he has coached thru the years as a highly successful coach, he changed his routine, and its obvious the results of that change.

I watched the ole miss Mizzou game last night, the sharks played better, but the difference was a very reliable mizzou free throwing team couldn't hit the side of a barn in the latter stages hence the 2 point loss.

vCash
    I'm educated enough. If we finish top 4 in the SEC- we are in. The committee will not take 3-4 SEC teams over the team that finished 4th- I promise you.

Top 4 in a top RPI conference
    Great record the last 12 games
    No bad losses

We will be in
    Agree with everything here except the Vandy defeat (although we did lose in their funky a$$ gym) was a bad loss when we played them. Now, they beat UF since they beat us and if they win 1 or 2 more that loss will not be as bad. Someone mentioned the vandy loss cost us 9 or 10 spots in RPI.