Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do we have to do to get into the Big Dance?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    3-0 and a top 4 finish gets us in. End of story
    I assume this is right. Hard to see how a top 4 finish in a 7 bid league doesn't get you in. The only question I would have is how bunched up are the teams behind us? If we finish two or three games ahead on a roughly equivalent conference schedule, that seems to answer the question of who deserves to get in. If we finish one game ahead, or finish two or three games ahead but the difference is that we dodged playing some of the harder teams twice, then maybe we get penalized for our shitty OOC schedule.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Go look at the other thread where someone posted a NCAA team sheet the committee uses to evaluate teams under the new set up. We don't rank very high in that stuff. It sucks but it's what we are dealing with. The OCS is killing us. We needed it at the time, but its an anchor around our necks now. We HAVE to have 3 more wins, and most likely 4.
    I don’t care what that sheet says, if we go 11-7 they are NOT skipping us to give 3 or 4 other teams a tourney spot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I assume this is right. Hard to see how a top 4 finish in a 7 bid league doesn't get you in. The only question I would have is how bunched up are the teams behind us? If we finish two or three games ahead on a roughly equivalent conference schedule, that seems to answer the question of who deserves to get in. If we finish one game ahead, or finish two or three games ahead but the difference is that we dodged playing some of the harder teams twice, then maybe we get penalized for our shitty OOC schedule.
    Finishing 2nd in a 5-bid league wasn't enough for Alabama in 2011, and they were 4 games ahead of Tennessee and 3 games ahead of 2 other teams with a bid.

Why not? SOS issues. What do we Have? SOS issues.

I think we're probably in at 11-7, but it's not a lock like some people are making it out to be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Finishing 2nd in a 5-bid league wasn't enough for Alabama in 2011, and they were 4 games ahead of Tennessee and 3 games ahead of 2 other teams with a bid.

Why not? SOS issues. What do we Have? SOS issues.

I think we're probably in at 11-7, but it's not a lock like some people are making it out to be.
    it's meaningless to say they are four games ahead when they didn't play a comparable schedule. It's more meaningful than saying MSU was four games ahead of Clemson, but not by a lot.

We may get left out because of SOS, but Alabama in 2011 is not a precedent unless a couple of those teams that got bids finished behind Bama in the West. If Bama and Tennessee had a comparable conference schedule and Bama got left out despite being four games ahead, that would be a strong indicator that we are hosed this year unless we pick up some good wins in teh SEC tourney.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    3-0 and a top 4 finish gets us in. End of story
    I hope you are right but the only people saying that are MSU fans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1 View Post
    I don’t care what that sheet says, if we go 11-7 they are NOT skipping us to give 3 or 4 other teams a tourney spot.
    They have done it before. The sheet is what they look at, not what we want them to look at. Hopefully we win the next 4 and it won't matter. If we don't win the next three it's a moot point anyway.

vCash
    We control our own destiny. Win and we are in, the tourney won’t matter. We just gotta win out. And with our guard rotation combined with the way our bigs are playing now, we could make a run this year. I’m just sayin... not expecting, just sayin...
    You're blind if you can't see improvement.....Freshmens......Strain.....Kick rocks and pound sand......Drag my Yankee ass outta here!......

Banned
    vCash
    I don't think anyone really knows what the committee is going to do on SS. Dan Dakich last night said aTm now had to win the SECT to get in. Lunardi had them as a 6 seed before our game. I think everyone in the country is like this thread and doesn't really know one way or the other. Looking back on Alabama in 2011 from our perspective it sure looks like a 12-4 SEC team shouldn't of been left out till you look at their OOC and notice they went 0-6 vs any team with a pulse. Had they gone just 1-5 they probably get in with that strong SEC finish but they went winless vs any decent team in OOC and that's what kept them out. 8-6 OOC doesn't get you in when the SEC is rated so shitty that year. Remember the committee was pretty down on the SEC for awhile there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    They have done it before. The sheet is what they look at, not what we want them to look at. Hopefully we win the next 4 and it won't matter. If we don't win the next three it's a moot point anyway.
    When have they done it before?

Not saying they won't, but have they ever done it before?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    When have they done it before?

Not saying they won't, but have they ever done it before?
    He is talking about Bama in 2011 when they won a weakass West and finished 12-4. 3 East teams were selected ahead of them. But that was also with a divided conference- and its almost like Bama was in a separate conference from those teams

as 615 said- they didnt do it to USC when they finished 4th in a 7 bid league. Their RPI was about what ours is now.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Senior Member ScreenCaptureThis's Avatar
    vCash
    So we keep bringing up RPI and how we'll finish with a win or two in the SECT, but I'm not seeing that as a boost unless we actually do win out. If we lose a game, stay somewhere in the 5-7 region in the SECT, we'll most likely play a team that's significantly lower seeded. Is a win on a neutral court versus a team that's possibly at/below .500 worth enough bump points in that case? I'm trying to figure the math and wondering what the difference would be in the tournament with the exception of a visit to the championship game. I'm not doubting anyone or anything, I just don't see the tournament being a deciding factor without a full run through it.

Again, this question is the "if we don't win out" scenario. If we do win out, finish top 4 in the SEC, I don't see how the tournament would play in, unless a 12-14 seed wins two games and plays us in round one and beats us. Otherwise it seems like a wash.

I've read in a few other areas where the tournament games really have no bearing on the decisions of the committee, with the exception of the finals and who is involved and the outcome of those games.

vCash
    All I know is how wonderful it would be for the Girls and the Guys to both win a NC in the same year.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Percho View Post
    All I know is how wonderful it would be for the Girls and the Guys to both win a NC in the same year.
    Who there turbo. Pump the brakes a tad. Although it would be great I?ll take a women?s NC and men?s ncaa birth and be ecstatic.

vCash
    Our win at South Carolina is on the verge of becoming a Q1 win

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Our win at South Carolina is on the verge of becoming a Q1 win
    Pretty stupid they have Georgia ahead of us right now. We are clearly a better team than UGA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Pretty stupid they have Georgia ahead of us right now. We are clearly a better team than UGA.
    Just give it about 2 games. They’ll be off the bubble

Banned
    vCash
    Just give it about 2 games. They’ll be off the bubble
    I was wrong Lunardi swapped us and Georgia last night. Need South Carolina to hold on here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    I was wrong Lunardi swapped us and Georgia last night. Need South Carolina to hold on here.
    Ok

vCash
    Where did he have Georgia?

Banned
    vCash
    Where did he have Georgia?
    He moved us into next four out #8 position basically and put Georgia behind that so they are basically around 10th team to not get in but they are about to lose to USC and that'll bury them. Good news for us.