Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some Thoughts On Potential Coaching Hires

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    We are a blue blood of college baseball.
    LSU, usc, Texas, FSU, and Miami are my top 5 programs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    LSU and Texas are the only jobs I would rank ahead of ours as far as overall job for a coach. The other three aren't close in my opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    LSU and Texas are the only jobs I would rank ahead of ours as far as overall job for a coach. The other three aren't close in my opinion.
    But coaches want to win. It should be their #1 priority. And we're not a top team from a national title standpoint. We have none. Even Coastal Carolina has one.
    That's why I'm wanting to see us go all in on a big time coach and not someone that's been here. We need to step up to the plate with our coaching hire. We've done everything else we can do.

vCash
    - If Schlossnagle didn't take the Texas job when it was offered, he won't leave TCU for MSU. No reason not to ask him, though.
    - Tadlock has worked wonders in Lubbock - I'm convinced he was who Texas wanted but couldn't get through the no-Big XIII-teams clause in his contract. I bet we would be willing to stock several ponds on campus with catfish for him if that's what it takes.
    - Given Matt Deggs' baggage, I'm not sure a high-visibility, high-pressure job like ours is the best place for him, but he seems like a good fit. His redemption narrative seems more genuine and less self-serving than some coaches in the North Mississippi area.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    We are a blue blood of college baseball.
    I seen that...

vCash
    If we go the assistant route, I want Saarloos from TCU. If we go the proven HC route, I want either Mingione or Tadlock. Right now my money is on Mingione. Cohen didn't bring him with him on multiple stops for no reason. I'd prefer Tadlock.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    He also didn’t go get him when he hired Cann

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat91 View Post
    If we go the assistant route, I want Saarloos from TCU. If we go the proven HC route, I want either Mingione or Tadlock. Right now my money is on Mingione. Cohen didn't bring him with him on multiple stops for no reason. I'd prefer Tadlock.
    Saarloos is a good dude but is a West coast guy and likes to play golf 4 times a week.

I just don’t see him as a viable option or fit.

vCash
    You mean like Cali USC or South Carolina. USC in Cali aint been relevant or gave a shit in quite a while.

The rest I can agree with

vCash
    Mississippi State University is not a blue blood baseball program, if you think we are you are deluded. We, mine and your university has won exactly dick on the national stage. We have gotten close and had a good view of the dance floor but have yet to get asked to the ball. Take a step back and look at what we are known for, great support, great crowds and the left field lounge (that is no more). That's it period. When we can claim a national championship and repeat the feat then we can claim to be a "blue blood" program until then we ain't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    You mean like Cali USC or South Carolina. USC in Cali aint been relevant or gave a shit in quite a while.

The rest I can agree with
    They have 12 national championships. They have fallen off of late, but they are still a great program just like Bama football when they were not winning natties

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    He is not wrong to think that. We are a top 5 job in baseball. Top 5 jobs can get anyone.

Lets just disqualify anyone that wears a ski hat in a basketball gym that is over 15 years old.
    We are a top 5 job, yes. But ALSO, we will have the nicest stadium by far in the country and have all 20 of the largest on campus crowds in college baseball history. Counting all that, I think we are maybe the most attractive baseball coaching job in the country.
    Last edited by Memphisbulldog; 02-20-2018 at 07:25 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coursesuper View Post
    Mississippi State University is not a blue blood baseball program, if you think we are you are deluded. We, mine and your university has won exactly dick on the national stage. We have gotten close and had a good view of the dance floor but have yet to get asked to the ball. Take a step back and look at what we are known for, great support, great crowds and the left field lounge (that is no more). That's it period. When we can claim a national championship and repeat the feat then we can claim to be a "blue blood" program until then we ain't.
    Go look at a list of who has even made it to the CWS finals all-time and then get back to me. Georgia has one National Title in football since 1980- would you consider them a blue blood program? I would. Those resources you mentioned are why we are a blueblood program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    First off, today is a terrible day. As bad as it is for Cannizaro, it's even worse for the assistant coaches that had the opportunity to coach at MSU, did a good job, & were on their way to building a career themselves, before their selfish boss derailed their career when they were doing good jobs & everything right.

That being said, here are my thoughts on who MSU should target in the coaching search:

- While I think Cannizaro was a good hire from a profile standpoint (recruiter, energy, etc), I'm don't think Cohen can afford to go down the same road again of getting an inexperienced head coach who has never been the "the guy". He has to go get a sitting power 5 head coach that he can trust to nurture the program.

That being said here are the names I would consider:

Safe Hire

Butch Thompson - I would make Butch the odds on favorite because Cohen will want someone he can trust. Butch isn't sexy, but he'd do a quality job. The program would lack ceiling but it would be steady.

Tier 1

Dan McDonald - Throw a bunch of money at McDonald & make him say no. He probably will say no.
    Jim Schlossnagle - Throw a bunch of money at Scholss & make him say no. He will probably say no.

Tier 2: The likely hires if he does not just hire Butch

Tim Tadlock - Texas Tech - Tadlock has done a hell of a job & has a great staff. The Texas Tech staff has done a better job than most anyone in America at finding grinders & underrated players across America that can play. You could make an argument that the new Dudy Noble will take care of national recruiting & that the most important thing may be to have a coaching staff that isn't scared to take a chance on non-famous players. Texas Tech is the Wisconsin/ Michigan State/ Mississippi State when comparing college football to college baseball. Not sexy but we'd win big.
    Nick Mingione - Nick is Cannizaro but more grounded. KY is building a new stadium & Nick has a good program there. Not sure he'd leave.

Brad Bohannon - Coach at Alabama. May be one of the best evaluators of 14-15 year old boys on the planet. As early recruiting more a part of college baseball, Bohannon could make some sense.

Tony Vitello - Tony is maybe the best recruiter in America. Head coach at Tennessee now & finds underrated players. He built & is responsible for Arkansas' roster. High energy but is risky due to potentially having another Cannizaro situation.
    I would be fine with any of these hires but I hope Cohen does what he did with Moorhead- get the best guy and not worry about what Cann did if it's a guy like Vitello.

vCash
    There’s a difference between top 5 programs and top 5 jobs. I think we are a top 5 job (support, facilities, etc), but until we start winning ****ing natty’s we aren’t near a top 5 program. That’s why this stings so much and I get frustrated every time we blow another postseason while I watch Fresno st and coastal Carolina hang banners. And now this is going to be a lost season, and who knows how it affects us the next couple of years. Potentially sets us back multiple years. This is the big 3 sport we legitimately can offer what many other programs only dream about and we still can’t close the deal on a natty.

vCash
    They have 12 national championships. They have fallen off of late, but they are still a great program just like Bama football when they were not winning natties
    They didnt make the tournament from 2005 to 2015 and havent been to Omaha since 2001. And nobody in southern california gives a shit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    There’s a difference between top 5 programs and top 5 jobs. I think we are a top 5 job (support, facilities, etc), but until we start winning ****ing natty’s we aren’t near a top 5 program. That’s why this stings so much and I get frustrated every time we blow another postseason while I watch Fresno st and coastal Carolina hang banners. And now this is going to be a lost season, and who knows how it affects us the next couple of years. Potentially sets us back multiple years. This is the big 3 sport we legitimately can offer what many other programs only dream about and we still can’t close the deal on a natty.
    I think this team may surprise some people, esp after learning kids were interviewed about Cann going into the USM series. Wednesday is opening day IMO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    They didnt make the tournament from 2005 to 2015 and havent been to Omaha since 2001. And nobody in southern california gives a shit.
    Since my graduating year (1995), we both have 4 CWS appearances. They won 1 and were a runner up another year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    SHIT!!! Ole Poppy Henderson gonna bring home the bacon... Don’t be surprised if these guys rally behind him and exceed expectations... I just have a gut feeling about all this....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    SHIT!!! Ole Poppy Henderson gonna bring home the bacon... Don’t be surprised if these guys rally behind him and exceed expectations... I just have a gut feeling about all this....
    I wouldn't be surprised either. At the same time I could see this being 2015 all over again too. We'll just see what happens.