Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Thoughts On Potential Coaching Hires

vCash

Some Thoughts On Potential Coaching Hires

First off, today is a terrible day. As bad as it is for Cannizaro, it's even worse for the assistant coaches that had the opportunity to coach at MSU, did a good job, & were on their way to building a career themselves, before their selfish boss derailed their career when they were doing good jobs & everything right.

That being said, here are my thoughts on who MSU should target in the coaching search:

- While I think Cannizaro was a good hire from a profile standpoint (recruiter, energy, etc), I'm don't think Cohen can afford to go down the same road again of getting an inexperienced head coach who has never been the "the guy". He has to go get a sitting power 5 head coach that he can trust to nurture the program.

That being said here are the names I would consider:

Safe Hire

Butch Thompson - I would make Butch the odds on favorite because Cohen will want someone he can trust. Butch isn't sexy, but he'd do a quality job. The program would lack ceiling but it would be steady.

Tier 1

Dan McDonald - Throw a bunch of money at McDonald & make him say no. He probably will say no.
    Jim Schlossnagle - Throw a bunch of money at Scholss & make him say no. He will probably say no.

Tier 2: The likely hires if he does not just hire Butch

Tim Tadlock - Texas Tech - Tadlock has done a hell of a job & has a great staff. The Texas Tech staff has done a better job than most anyone in America at finding grinders & underrated players across America that can play. You could make an argument that the new Dudy Noble will take care of national recruiting & that the most important thing may be to have a coaching staff that isn't scared to take a chance on non-famous players. Texas Tech is the Wisconsin/ Michigan State/ Mississippi State when comparing college football to college baseball. Not sexy but we'd win big.
    Nick Mingione - Nick is Cannizaro but more grounded. KY is building a new stadium & Nick has a good program there. Not sure he'd leave.

Brad Bohannon - Coach at Alabama. May be one of the best evaluators of 14-15 year old boys on the planet. As early recruiting more a part of college baseball, Bohannon could make some sense.

Tony Vitello - Tony is maybe the best recruiter in America. Head coach at Tennessee now & finds underrated players. He built & is responsible for Arkansas' roster. High energy but is risky due to potentially having another Cannizaro situation.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 02-20-2018 at 09:46 AM.

vCash
    No Deggs? Dudes a boss

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandjunky View Post
    No Deggs? Dudes a boss
    Deggs is a mid-major coach & has skeleton's in the closet. He belongs at Sam Houston State.

I can't imagine Cohen would hire him.

vCash
    Corbin will get another call. He was Cohen's number one last go around, I assume we will put a number out there and make him say no before moving on to anyone else.

vCash
    I remember going through this last time with all the big names and then we ended up with a guy nobody ever heard of that was only a college assistant for a couple of years. Not saying Cann was a bad hire, it's just that nobody knew what to expect with him because he never coached before. I hope Cohen does what it takes and goes after every top coach in the country. Make them tell us no. Let's see how attractive our program really is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Corbin will get another call. He was Cohen's number one last go around, I assume we will put a number out there and make him say no before moving on to anyone else.
    I'm not sure I'd hire Corbin. He's gotten lazy in recruiting & is more of a CEO now. MSU needs a head coach that will recruit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdawg View Post
    I remember going through this last time with all the big names and then we ended up with a guy nobody ever heard of that was only a college assistant for a couple of years. Not saying Cann was a bad hire, it's just that nobody knew what to expect with him because he never coached before. I hope Cohen does what it takes and goes after every top coach in the country. Make them tell us no. Let's see how attractive our program really is.
    Agree. I just think Cohen will go the more established this time. For optics he kind of has to.

vCash
    I've talked to several commits parents last night and this morning. Mingione is extremely popular and so is Butch.

vCash
    This is easy...
    you have a list of the top 5-10 guys in the country and make them say no. Brian O’connor , Jim Schlossenagle , Ect..
    Then you work your way down.

And Butch and Mig are way way down on that list.

vCash
    I personally prefer a more proven coach than Ming and Butch. I'm not a huge fan of simply hiring guys with connections to MSU. They'd be on my list, but on down it. We're a top 10 or so program. We can hire someone that's proven.

vCash
    I would take Butch off your lists. As well as Lane. Don't think they would come.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    No Butch and no Mingione. And no Burroughs. We should be able to go get a top shelf guy. We are not a stepping stone baseball job. We are a blue blood and we should act like it.

I got text Kirk Saarloos which is very interesting. Absolutely take a look at him.

vCash
    I say we give Stricklin some payback and go after O'Sullivan.

vCash
    I think the worst case scenario is Cohen pulls double duty. If all the big shots turn him down, he may want another shot in the best stadium in college baseball.

vCash
    One thing to keep in mind when thinking about who John Cohen will go after at the end of the season. College baseball is different than college basketball and college football. Coaches at major institutions who have built championship caliber programs don't move around as much as they do in the other sports. Tim Corbin has been at Vanderbilt since 2003. Jim Schlossnagle has been at TCU since 2004. Pat Casey has been at Oregon State since 1995. Dan McDonnell has been at Louisville since 2007.

Anything can happen, but the more likely scenario is that the next head coach will be either a top assistant coach from a major program (Kevin McMullen, Kirk Saarloos), a lower level head coach, or a current head coach who has MSU ties (Butch Thompson, Nick Mingione).

vCash
    I would prefer to hire a more proven HC as well and believe we could get whoever we wanted. I'm just letting you know what some of our commits over the next couple of years are thinking. You're always gonna lose a couple whenever there's a coaching change anyway, so we have to do what's best for State. Besides they are all emotional now just like us and if you get a big name coach it ain't gonna matter.

Saarloos is an interesting option.
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 02-20-2018 at 10:37 AM.

vCash
    Y'all are under rating butch. Dude is just as charismatic in the recruiting game as anyone. Plus he's a quality guy.
    That said I think we should explore several "high profile" options if they fit into what we are looking for.

ETA: you guys are missing the boat!! We've got the guys rite here to get us a championship mstate7 watches every braves game and rouge talked to an MLB player once!! They are more than qualified! Make em co-head coaches and get ur reservations to Omaha!!!!

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    Cliff Godwin
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    Well unlike the Cann hire, the hire won’t be happening between fall practice and spring. If we don’t go get a top tier coach, then I’m just going to give up. ****ing Fresno st and coastal Carolina can win a CWS. Programs like Vandy, Virginia, and Oregon st didn’t realize college baseball was a thing until the last 15 years and they can win a CWS, and yet we can’t. I’m sick and tired of it. Go get someone who will win and won’t **** up the opportunity in a year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    Well unlike the Cann hire, the hire won’t be happening between fall practice and spring. If we don’t go get a top tier coach, then I’m just going to give up. ****ing Fresno st and coastal Carolina can win a CWS. Programs like Vandy, Virginia, and Oregon st didn’t realize college baseball was a thing until the last 15 years and they can win a CWS, and yet we can’t. I’m sick and tired of it. Go get someone who will win and won’t **** up the opportunity in a year.
    Dilly Dilly