Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm Pretty Disgusted With the Entire Baseball Program

vCash

I'm Pretty Disgusted With the Entire Baseball Program

This for me as an alumni is probably the most embarrassed I have ever been at MSU baseball. It's second to Renardo fighting Elgin Bailey but at the same time it's a very distant second.

I am ashamed of what our baseball program has become. Now we have a coach that just got caught cheating on his wife and has been fired for it. Unfortunately, as much as I liked Cann this is the right decision. Had we kept Cann it would have hurt us in recruiting- more on that in a minute- but even worse than that I think it would have caused the players to lose respect for Cann and could have possibly made our well known off the field issues even worse. That's why Cohen had to fire him. And that's where we are right now.

I think Gary Henderson will probably do a good job for us. I'm not going to judge him one way or the other. Maybe this team will turn it around and use this to challenge themselves and they make another SR and we're all laughing about melting down USM weekend. And maybe not- maybe we go into a tailspin and it's a horrible season and it is what it is. Maybe it will be somewhere in the middle. I don't know. It doesn't really matter because our program is in desperate need of a reboot.

How did we get where we are now? I think ultimately we've been trying so hard to win a National Title that we've ended up cutting corners at times and sometimes it has worked out great and sometimes it has really blown up in our face. For example- Wes Johnson. I think we went too fast with his program and a lot of guys ended up getting hurt and Johnson was gone at the end of the year. It's still affecting us now. I think a lot of the JUCO recruiting has been cutting corners.

But at the end of this season we need to start completely over. And I'm not saying we should cut players. I'm saying we need to establish a new standard and if that means that we have to rebuild a year or two- so be it. That may be what is best for the program.

If I was Gary Henderson the FIRST thing I would do right now is start random drug tests every week. And if someone fails a test- they're gone. And it doesn't matter if it's Jake Mangum, Konnor Pilkington, or Will Clark. The suspensions aren't working. It's time to get that cleaned up before the new coach comes in.

Now, as far as the recruiting goes- it's past time to stop cutting corners and start going after players that:

1. Want to win a Championship at MSU. And are so focused on that they will do whatever it takes to improve their game that they will do anything to win that championship. It's not- "Well, I'm going pro after three years" or "I'm just here to smoke pot and get girls". Ultracompetitive players is what LSU has had in the past and why they have championships and why we have squat. I mean- they were willing to cut years off of their lifespan and shrink their balls to win championships in the 90's. Maybe we can draw the line there- but ultracompetitive nonetheless.

2. We need pitchers that attack the strike zone and light up radar guns. Don't let Wes Johnson scare you. Florida has the hardest throwing staff and a lot of people think Arkansas has the best team in the league and they throw the ball pretty hard I'm sure. We need elite pitchers to win a championship and we've shown that we can attract some of them. Let's get at least two if not three on our weekend staff and start dominating people. Add in some guys in the bullpen that are badass and attack people.

3. We need guys that can hit for power. We need to find those projectable power hitters like Rooker and Renfroe and coach them into 5 tool Triple Crown winners and get about four of them on the team instead of one Rooker and three JUCO guys hoping they don't get benched or think it's cool that the media likes their walk-up song.

4. Surround those power hitters with guys that hit for a high average and steal bases and create havoc on the bases.

5. Get catchers that can lead and defend and hit a little bit.

6. WE need to be known as the best fielding team in the league and set the standard there.

Also as far as recruiting we need someone that can identify high end guys that we can get to school. I'm fine with a few draft risks- but for every draft risk have a contingency plan in place. If we get surprised- then the contingency plan guy can be moved to another position or DH and then we're strong there. And we need to have enough balance in our classes that we don't have to start 4-5 freshmen every game. I mean a class essentially without high school pitchers? Really?

We have the resources, we have the money, we have everything else. But what we need is a coach that will set the standard that reaches our ceiling. And I don't know who that is. I suspect and hope we will have a completely new staff next year. Based on what Cohen has hired before as assistants, and Cann, and Moorhead I think he will do a great job.

Better days ahead! Hail State!
    Last edited by Behrdawg; 02-20-2018 at 10:05 AM.

vCash
    Ok, I guess I'm missing it. What and who are the drug suspensions? Why aren't they off the team? Do our other sports operate this way in regard to recreational drugs? Cause I follow football and basketball more religiously than this and can't find anything like what the baseball guys are alleging is wrong with this baseball program... for 17's sake.. it's baseball.. beyond pain meds (injury) and alcohol (it's college, it's gonna happen), I don't get it and really???? that's just selfish at that point
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    I think we will be fine. We will be able to hire a proven winner due to tradition and facilities. The Cann firing while unfortunate had to happen. I think there was also more to it then just the rumors we have heard on here. But I will say this. The best interim coach you could have IMO is a former SEC COY. MSU baseball will be fine but it is always unfortunate to lose a coach in this matter.

vCash
    Sad Sad, really hate it for his family.

vCash
    ***** is undefeated!! It has started wars, wrecked empires, wrecked marriages, turned friends into foes, etc! It’s man’s kryptonite. It’s unstoppable....period!

vCash
    Period?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thick View Post
    ***** is undefeated!! It has started wars, wrecked empires, wrecked marriages, turned friends into foes, etc! It’s man’s kryptonite. It’s unstoppable....period!
    This is just stupid. There are a lot of married men who have turned down getting laid by willing women.

Senior Member maroonwhitedawg3ddd's Avatar
    vCash
    Way to go Cohen!! That's how you take the term Shit canning to the IB level!!

vCash
    Todd I respect your opinion but I think you're taking it too far. Two weeks ago you said we were going to Omaha. Maybe there's a few bad apples that have a drug problem but we're not in need of a full reboot. Cann was a good coach and a good recruiter, and the guys on this team are good guys. This is a set back due to an off the field problem. If there is a drug culture on the team, then it's good Cann is leaving and we can hire a new coach who can flush it out quickly....or even I'm sure Henderson could flush it out - but I don't think there is a drug culture.

vCash
    This post is way off base

vCash
    One other thing is that Cann kicked Ryan Cyr off the team last year when we had no pitching left. He was obviously a cancer because we started winning after that. He also didn't play Elih Merrero all year who was really talented. By all accounts he's a disciplinarian. It seems hard to buy that the program is in disarray.

vCash
    Yeah Elih wasn't a weed problem, however there are a few more who like the same thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Period?
    I couldn’t help but laugh seeing this from “Cooterpoot.” How in the world did you come up with that name?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    This for me as an alumni is probably the most embarrassed I have ever been at MSU baseball. It's second to Renardo fighting Elgin Bailey but at the same time it's a very distant second.

I am ashamed of what our baseball program has become. We have major drug problems- if I'm my math is right three to just drug suspensions alone since the end of last season and then another one on top of that which wasn't drug related. Now we have a coach that just got caught cheating on his wife and has been fired for it. Unfortunately, as much as I liked Cann this is the right decision. Had we kept Cann it would have hurt us in recruiting- more on that in a minute- but even worse than that I think it would have caused the players to lose respect for Cann and could have possibly made our well known off the field issues even worse. That's why Cohen had to fire him. And that's where we are right now.

I think Gary Henderson will probably do a good job for us. I'm not going to judge him one way or the other. Maybe this team will turn it around and use this to challenge themselves and they make another SR and we're all laughing about melting down USM weekend. And maybe not- maybe we go into a tailspin and it's a horrible season and it is what it is. Maybe it will be somewhere in the middle. I don't know. It doesn't really matter because our program is in desperate need of a reboot.

How did we get where we are now? I think ultimately we've been trying so hard to win a National Title that we've ended up cutting corners at times and sometimes it has worked out great and sometimes it has really blown up in our face. For example- Wes Johnson. I think we went too fast with his program and a lot of guys ended up getting hurt and Johnson was gone at the end of the year. It's still affecting us now. I think a lot of the JUCO recruiting has been cutting corners.

But at the end of this season we need to start completely over. And I'm not saying we should cut players. I'm saying we need to establish a new standard and if that means that we have to rebuild a year or two- so be it. That may be what is best for the program.

If I was Gary Henderson the FIRST thing I would do right now is start random drug tests every week. And if someone fails a test- they're gone. And it doesn't matter if it's Jake Mangum, Konnor Pilkington, or Will Clark. The suspensions aren't working. It's time to get that cleaned up before the new coach comes in.

Now, as far as the recruiting goes- it's past time to stop cutting corners and start going after players that:

1. Want to win a Championship at MSU. And are so focused on that they will do whatever it takes to improve their game that they will do anything to win that championship. It's not- "Well, I'm going pro after three years" or "I'm just here to smoke pot and get girls". Ultracompetitive players is what LSU has had in the past and why they have championships and why we have squat. I mean- they were willing to cut years off of their lifespan and shrink their balls to win championships in the 90's. Maybe we can draw the line there- but ultracompetitive nonetheless.

2. We need pitchers that attack the strike zone and light up radar guns. Don't let Wes Johnson scare you. Florida has the hardest throwing staff and a lot of people think Arkansas has the best team in the league and they throw the ball pretty hard I'm sure. We need elite pitchers to win a championship and we've shown that we can attract some of them. Let's get at least two if not three on our weekend staff and start dominating people. Add in some guys in the bullpen that are badass and attack people.

3. We need guys that can hit for power. We need to find those projectable power hitters like Rooker and Renfroe and coach them into 5 tool Triple Crown winners and get about four of them on the team instead of one Rooker and three JUCO guys hoping they don't get benched or think it's cool that the media likes their walk-up song.

4. Surround those power hitters with guys that hit for a high average and steal bases and create havoc on the bases.

5. Get catchers that can lead and defend and hit a little bit.

6. WE need to be known as the best fielding team in the league and set the standard there.

Also as far as recruiting we need someone that can identify high end guys that we can get to school. I'm fine with a few draft risks- but for every draft risk have a contingency plan in place. If we get surprised- then the contingency plan guy can be moved to another position or DH and then we're strong there. And we need to have enough balance in our classes that we don't have to start 4-5 freshmen every game. I mean a class essentially without high school pitchers? Really?

We have the resources, we have the money, we have everything else. But what we need is a coach that will set the standard that reaches our ceiling. And I don't know who that is. I suspect and hope we will have a completely new staff next year. Based on what Cohen has hired before as assistants, and Cann, and Moorhead I think he will do a great job.

Better days ahead! Hail State!
    So you are obviously not happy with the baseball program regardless of Little Cann’s involvement!

vCash
    This post is obviously from someone who is panic stricken over a coaching change. Dude, if ALL the players are dope heads as you make it seem, then you need to go hang out with them and chill out. Our program is not in disarray. Our program is going to be fine, we won 40 games last year. Back off the ledge brother. Easy, easy....don’t slip....easy, easy...
    You hear those bells mother-fudder....an Air-RAID is coming and that is yo ass!

vCash
    Are you talking about a weed problem? If so I don't think you're going to like the next couple of decades.

If you think you're going eliminate weed from sports say goodbye to the NFL, NBA, PGA tour, probably pro curling, etc. It's not going anywhere and frankly shouldn't.

If you're referring to a more serious drug problem then yes, the young people involved in that need to get themselves straightened out before that goes bad. Much more at risk there than baseball careers.

vCash
    Great post Todd, Other than me believing that Wes Johnson may be about the best thing to happen in MSU over the past 5 years, I agree with everything you've said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    This is just stupid. There are a lot of married men who have turned down getting laid by willing women.
    not when they looked like her. That number is wayyyyy lower
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Nothing is wrong with our program per se. what we are seeing is a microcosm of society as a whole, coupled with a coach who wasn?t/isn?t all there mentally.

As far as the drug problem, it?s probably the result of society giving athletes a pass. These guys have been put on pedestals their entire life and think they are untouchable. We create them and then cannot figure out why they act in the ways they do.

The program will be fine. We shouldn?t have an issue finding a replacement. I don?t see the people issues clearing up any time soon. Just have to recruit character guys, who are quality coachable kids.
    Last edited by Behrdawg; 02-20-2018 at 10:01 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    not when they looked like her. That number is wayyyyy lower
    She ain?t that hot. A solid 7 at best.