Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The baseball HC decision has the potential to fracture the fan base

vCash

The baseball HC decision has the potential to fracture the fan base

If it turns out to be Henderson.

I?m torn. What is best for the program, going forward?

vCash
    I dont envy John. If it's not Henderson, and I dont think it should be, he will get slaughtered by the media and half of our fans. If it's a hire that isnt considered a Grand Slam, he is going to get slaughtered. The decision should be based on our long term interest, not an emotional response to a great 3 week run. There are a handful of HR hires out there. Bring us one home. In Cohen I trust.

vCash
    The best thing for the program is the guy who took over us in the toughest spot in baseball history and lead us to Omaha and deep into Omaha. Nobody worth having will come here if this isn't good enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat91 View Post
    I dont envy John. If it's not Henderson, and I dont think it should be, he will get slaughtered by the media and half of our fans. If it's a hire that isnt considered a Grand Slam, he is going to get slaughtered. The decision should be based on our long term interest, not an emotional response to a great 3 week run. There are a handful of HR hires out there. Bring us one home. In Cohen I trust.
    Cohen should be fired and run out of Starkville. He slaughtered Henderson and our team on the radio last night and that should be enough to march him out.

vCash
    Just like the Cohen hire over Raffo? Our baseball program is a freakin' soap opera. People just need to get behind whoever Cohen names. HE is the one in the position required to make the hire, not the fanbase.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    Cohen should be fired and run out of Starkville. He slaughtered Henderson and our team on the radio last night and that should be enough to march him out.
    Are you Gary Henderson? GTFO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    If it turns out to be Henderson.

I?m torn. What is best for the program, going forward?
    If Henderson is the guy, not only will our fan base fracture, our program will too. Henderson is not the guy that is going to be successful for 10+ years here. He can't develop talent at a high level and can't build upon what type of program he is given. That was shown through his 8 years at Kentucky. We are going to get passed up really quick by Ole Miss and Southern, just like Kentucky was by Louisville.

vCash
    This post is a special breed of stupid. Post less please

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Are you Gary Henderson? GTFO
    Only 5 people were listening to that broadcast and they were all, and I mean all MSU fans. Also, I would like to add, everything he said was 100% correct and on the nose. If you cannot handle the truth, switch to UM.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Here is the non emotional look at Gary Hendersons HC career. His best year was a 45 win season at UK. His next best season? This year. He averaged under 32 wins a season over his 10 year history. If you can honestly say he is the best choice, then you really dont care about our program.

Banned
    vCash
    Here is the non emotional look at Gary Hendersons HC career. His best year was a 45 win season at UK. His next best season? This year. He averaged under 32 wins a season over his 10 year history. If you can honestly say he is the best choice, then you really dont care about our program.
    Amen

vCash
    I really appreciate everything Gary did this year. He was absolutely the best choice to lead the team this year. However I am not convinced that he can win a national championship here. I just feel like we will be doing this again in a few years if we make an a emotional decision and name him head coach. I will obviously support him but I will be pretty disappointed. There is a reason USC didn’t hire O after his intern stint there. And a reason LSU shouldn’t have.

Banned
    vCash
    You smoking crack? Cohen calmly and quietly hired Moorhead while Tennessee was busy looking like the biggest dumbasses in the history of college football hiring. Moorhead has us #6 in recruiting in the country right now after being on the job for only 7 months. Cohen coulda dog cussed Henderson on the air for 3 straight hours like he was the umpire in the LSU series in 2014 and he'd keep his job. Stop smoking crack and posting please.

vCash
    No way we hire Henderson. We’d be doing it again in 2 years. He wasted a CWS trip.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by runwildjerious View Post
    I really appreciate everything Gary did this year. He was absolutely the best choice to lead the team this year. However I am not convinced that he can win a national championship here. I just feel like we will be doing this again in a few years if we make an a emotional decision and name him head coach. I will obviously support him but I will be pretty disappointed. There is a reason USC didn’t hire O after his intern stint there. And a reason LSU shouldn’t have.
    LSU hired coach O because it was the only choice they had. They went after great coaches and every one of them said no. Because they saw what Les Miles had accomplished and how LSU treated him. If we fire Henderson, that is what coaches will see in us. Nobody wants to go to Starkville and be fired two years later

vCash
    LSU hired coach O because it was the only choice they had. They went after great coaches and every one of them said no. Because they saw what Les Miles had accomplished and how LSU treated him. If we fire Henderson, that is what coaches will see in us. Nobody wants to go to Starkville and be fired two years later
    This is such an uninformed and dumb opinion to have. For one, we aren't going to be firing Henderson if we go with someone else. Two, if we go after the right coaches instead of assuming we need to hire someone that already has a ton of Omaha experience, there are quite a few legitimate candidates that can win big here.

vCash
    First of all, he is an interim coach. He would not be fired, he just wouldn’t be the full time head coach.

Second, you just said that Cohen should be fired and ran out of town. So please excuse me if I don’t find your option valid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachT14 View Post
    This is such an uninformed and dumb opinion to have. For one, we aren't going to be firing Henderson if we go with someone else. Two, if we go after the right coaches instead of assuming we need to hire someone that already has a ton of Omaha experience, there are quite a few legitimate candidates that can win big here.
    It's a very reasoned and informed opinion. Henderson just went deeper in Omaha than Ron Polk ever did.

vCash
    It's a very reasoned and informed opinion. Henderson just went deeper in Omaha than Ron Polk ever did.
    Congrats Gary. You still didn't win it all and that's the only way you should even be considered for this job. Even then, I still wouldn't think you could be successful long term. At best, Henderson is successful the next 2 seasons and then we will be on a steep downfall to mediocrity, just like he was at Kentucky. Again, there are way too many good, young coaches that will be highly successful for 10+ years that we need to hire before even coming close to hiring Gary Henderson.

Oh and please explain your reasoned and informed opinion minus the fact that in a month and a half our players got hot and saved Gary Henderson's ass multiple times. What in his past leads you to believe he will be successful and bring a national championship to Mississippi State within the next 10 years? Please do tell.

vCash
    It depends on who he hires. A true grandslam wouldn't be a slaughter in the media. Pro coaches have gotten fired after post season runs. The NBA recently had a coach of the year fired.

A true grandslam won't be questioned as much as people are suggesting. The media has seen it before and they understand the importance. And let's be honest. College baseball coaching hires don't move the needle with the national news. And tell me if I'm wrong, but I never heard anyone say Henderson had to be the coach during any of our tournament broadcast. I heard lots of "he has to be considered" which he is

As far as the fans, the sheep are the ones you are talking about. They follow what the AD and what the Mississippi media guys tell them. It would all hinge on how the guys that run the Mississippi State pages on SDS, 24/7, and the like do. And wyat our state homer writters like Gene do.

Win the press conference. Win the fans. National media doesnt give a crap

Now, you hire some unproven up and comer or someone that's not really really impressive, well then you might have a problem
    Last edited by deadheaddawg; 06-24-2018 at 12:55 AM.