Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tim Tebow batted .226 with 8 HRS & 52 RBI

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
    No it's not. Any improvement he may make will be offset by decline in ability due to his age. He's also not playing in a vacuum. He will step up to AA where the pitching is much better and defense is more important. He will have to improve just to put up similar numbers to what he did in A ball.

I'm rooting for him but he really has no chance.
    He does have a chance and you are NOT rooting for him. Quit hating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    I've said nothing derogatory about him as a person. He's a tremendous human being. He's just a really crappy baseball player. And if his name was Joe Tebow, he wouldn't be playing pro ball right now. Of course you know all this, but your rather go the route of the troll and call me a hater.

It would probably disappoint you to know that Santa Claus isn't real either.

vCash
    I mean, he has a chance. Just like I have a chance to be the president of the United States. He even has a realistic chance to get some MLB ABs if the Mets do something dumb thinking he can get some press in a lost season. But it’s pretty unrealistic to think he has a chance to be a regular MLB player beyond a September call up chasing headlines and tickets. And in NYC, there wouldn’t be a boom in ticket sales. ESPN would probably run the shit out the headlines cause they have a financial interest in promoting Tebow.

Banned
    vCash
    I've said nothing derogatory about him as a person. He's a tremendous human being. He's just a really crappy baseball player. And if his name was Joe Tebow, he wouldn't be playing pro ball right now. Of course you know all this, but your rather go the route of the troll and call me a hater.

It would probably disappoint you to know that Santa Claus isn't real either.
    You've said nothing derogatory because you have to hide your true feelings. Your deception is obvious. For someone to be age 30 with 12 years since he's played the game to do what he did in year ONE is impressive. This guy is not your average athlete. He's got the "it" factor going fot him. He's a mental elite, something you can't coach or develop. Let's see what happens this year prior to knowing we've got it all figured out.

vCash
    You've said nothing derogatory because you have to hide your true feelings. Your deception is obvious. For someone to be age 30 with 12 years since he's played the game to do what he did in year ONE is impressive. This guy is not your average athlete. He's got the "it" factor going fot him. He's a mental elite, something you can't coach or develop. Let's see what happens this year prior to knowing we've got it all figured out.
    There is nothing impressive about putting up a sub 700 OPS and a sub 940 fielding percentage as an outfielder in A ball. I say again...in A ball. Nothing about it is remarkable, no matter how long its been since he played, given his athletic ability and time to work on his game. He's only there because of who he is.

SEC baseball is on par with high A/low AA ball, so let that add a little perspective for you. He was out there against a bunch of 18/19 year olds. It defies all logic and common sense to suggest he is suddenly going to become a dramatically better player in AA. I understand these are inconvenient facts for you, but they are facts nonetheless.

Banned
    vCash
    While you're at it, dawgs61, hope to win the lottery. You have an exponentially better chance of that happening than Tebow doing any of this. Most baseball insiders would be shocked to see him in AAA, let alone the show.

He will grant a couple of make-a-wish wishes, he will sign a lot of autographs, and he will conduct himself with integrity. Credit to him for all of that. And he will do all of that in Binghampton...if he makes it through spring training. If he struggles in spring training, there's a better than even chance he gets released.
    https://www.app.com/story/sports/bas...ver/764001002/

Sometimes dismissed as a sideshow or a novelty over the last couple minor league seasons, Tebow?s bat has caught fire over the last couple months for the Binghamton (N.Y.) Rumble Ponies, the Double-A affiliate of the New York Mets. Hitting .390 in July and .305 in June, Tebow bumped his season batting average up from .234, where it sat on the last day of May, to .270.

The surge made him an All-Star, at least a minor league All-Star, and speculation is growing that Tebow could get promoted to Triple A or even the big leagues later this season.

Banned
    vCash
    There is nothing impressive about putting up a sub 700 OPS and a sub 940 fielding percentage as an outfielder in A ball. I say again...in A ball. Nothing about it is remarkable, no matter how long its been since he played, given his athletic ability and time to work on his game. He's only there because of who he is.

SEC baseball is on par with high A/low AA ball, so let that add a little perspective for you. He was out there against a bunch of 18/19 year olds. It defies all logic and common sense to suggest he is suddenly going to become a dramatically better player in AA. I understand these are inconvenient facts for you, but they are facts nonetheless.

vCash

This post did not age well

vCash
    Athletes can make adjustments.

vCash
    If he ever makes the majors it will be in September when the team is out of any payoff contention like this year.

Tebow will never be a full-time MLB player staring in April.

vCash
    I love Tebow, but he has 2 numbers working against him...

Babip = .423
    K rate = 35.6%

ETA... k rate appears to be getting better. Since beginning of June, k rate is 27.7%
    Last edited by msstate7; 07-12-2018 at 10:42 AM.

vCash
    I hope he makes it, if that?s what he really wants. The world could use a lot more Tim Tebow?s.

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    I hope he makes it, if that?s what he really wants. The world could use a lot more Tim Tebow?s.
    Amen
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I love Tebow, but he has 2 numbers working against him...

Babip = .423
    K rate = 35.6%

ETA... k rate appears to be getting better. Since beginning of June, k rate is 27.7%
    You forgot the 3rd number -

Age = 30

Baseball players are in their prime from roughly 26-33. He's half way through that and is still trying to learn what most players are learning at 23-25.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    That last number, is going to be the problem. He is running out of time.

If he gets called up later this year, then he has to stay up and be on next year's starting roster now. Even doing that, he would only have 2 more years or so before he passed his prime.

I don't see it happening for him but I wish I could go give it a try myself. He still is playing and has a chance. More power to you young man!

Banned
    vCash
    I'd watch the Mets if he gets called up. So would half the baseball world. I hope he gets the call. Tebow, Bautista, Cespedes, Bruce, Reyes, DeGrom, Syndeergard, yeah I'd watch that team.

vCash
    I don't consider age as much of a problem. I think if Tebow can make it on an mlb roster for a few non-September months this was a success. He's already set financially

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I don't consider age as much of a problem. I think if Tebow can make it on an mlb roster for a few non-September months this was a success. He's already set financially
    Yeah, I agree. I'm not sure what his baseball career is about, but it's not about money. He's written three books now which I'm sure will bring in more money than he'll ever make playing baseball. I'd imagine his main reason for playing is just to keep his competitive juices flowing, and secondly to see how far he can go - because you know he's going to give it all he's got. He's on SEC Network so it's not to keep himself in the spotlight. I'd bet he continues to play until he's played for about 5-6 years and if he's made it to the show, then he made it, and if not so be it. In my estimation, he will be in AAA next year if for nothing else, a way to help generate revenue for another Mets minor league club. If he can hit around .250 or so and the Mets suck again, he'll get a September call up. Maybe he'll make the opening day roster in 2020 and then fizzle out his career that year in AAA before hanging it up at age 33. That would be a tremendous success if he accomplished that.

vCash
    The Mets should just promote him. They are awful, whether you like him or not, he's interesting and will move some tickets and sell jerseys and his meter is running age wise whether people want to admit it or not - Tebow maybe a great athlete but age takes away reflexes and older guys are struggling against today's pitching - period.

So there's no real loss in giving him a shot. If he makes it - great, if he doesn't he can get in the booth and get on with it.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty96 View Post
    The Mets should just promote him. They are awful, whether you like him or not, he's interesting and will move some tickets and sell jerseys and his meter is running age wise whether people want to admit it or not - Tebow maybe a great athlete but age takes away reflexes and older guys are struggling against today's pitching - period.

So there's no real loss in giving him a shot. If he makes it - great, if he doesn't he can get in the booth and get on with it.
    I'd prefer the call up to be based on merit, not PR. Don't wanna feed the Tebow hating machine.