Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Game 3 vs Nasty Bunch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Seems to me and I am no recruiting expert but this last class has turned out to be a disaster if we lost everyone to the draft and don't have anyone replacing our holes left by Cohen. So maybe next year Cann shouldn't sign every high draft risk and instead stock the cupboard full of dirtbags for a couple years till we no longer have depth issues everywhere on the field. Sign dirtbags not draft picks.
    Have to sign both to be elite. But starting 4 true fr w another getting ab's is a recipe for a mess. Mangum's are rare. Those guys will be good players but relying on 3 or 4 shows our upper classmen talent level.
    Last edited by Homedawg; 02-18-2018 at 06:52 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Salty- we will eventually be good on the mound and defensively. Hell, Small made his 1st start in forever. this team will get alot better as the season moves on.
    Yep. Lot of season left and we have 5 new position players 3-4 true freshman starting or getting significant playing time. They?ll get the kinks out. It?s sucks we had to start at usm with this many new players out there but it is what is. Got work to do but we will get better,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yep. Lot of season left and we have 5 new position players 3-4 true freshman starting or getting significant playing time. They?ll get the kinks out. It?s sucks we had to start at usm with this many new players out there but it is what is. Got work to do but we will get better,
    Not only that- but Belmont is playing SS after an entire season at 3B. He will get better as the year goes defensively. It's always an adjustment thru something like that
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    Most posters on this board would have started speaking Japanese or German the minute they saw the first Zero heading for Pearl Harbor. Let's not quit yet guys.
    Ok, now that shit's funny. gotta admit.

Banned
    vCash
    all I can say is if this season turns out to be a disaster due to lack of talent, then Cohen 17'd up big time on his player evaluations. too many positive write ups and high ranked classes to be in this position (if it is really a BAD position. we will see).

Not a good look for Cohen's crooting this weekend. we will see. there is no way USM should be better than us. I'm sorry, we've got too many advantages over them too numerous to count. This is all about being out worked. plain and simple and there's no other way to put it. we've been lazy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Not only that- but Belmont is playing SS after an entire season at 3B. He will get better as the year goes defensively. It's always an adjustment thru something like that
    Absolutely. Baseball is so unlike the other sports. It?s a marathon and has to be treated as such. Cann will make adjustments just like last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Have to sign both to be elite. But starting 4 true fr w another getting ab's is a recipe for a mess. Mangum's are rare. Those guys will be good players but relying on 3 or 4 shows our upper classmen talent level.
    THIS. Dealing with the draft is just a way of life in college baseball and probably always will be no matter what changes are made over the years. Everyone sees the guys that Florida, LSU, and Vandy sign and are like "how did they get that guy?"- but no one realizes that they also lost 3-4 guys just like us.

There is no reason why MSU can't recruit at that level or close to it. And Cann has adjusted our recruiting going forward but it's going to take a year or two for it to go into full effect. The solution isn't to not recruit draft risks- the solution is to do a better job of figuring out who is most likely to sign and go pro and if they are to get on the front end of that and sign a replacement instead of scouring the JUCO's for a replacement. That's where Cann's MLB and scouting connections come in.

And people talk about who we lose to the draft- but Skelton, Allen, and Hatcher are all freshmen or sophomore that started today for us that we got through the draft and that doesn't include Jordan Anderson who very few fans thought we would get and not only did we get him through the draft he was also an UA All-American. As these players develop they are only going to get better and better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    all I can say is if this season turns out to be a disaster due to lack of talent, then Cohen 17'd up big time on his player evaluations. too many positive write ups and high ranked classes to be in this position (if it is really a BAD position. we will see).

Not a good look for Cohen's crooting this weekend. we will see. there is no way USM should be better than us. I'm sorry, we've got too many advantages over them too numerous to count. This is all about being out worked. plain and simple and there's no other way to put it. we've been lazy.
    I'm not sure if it's about being outworked as much as it is about having the wrong approach. Neither is good.

vCash
    I find it funny that last year cann won it was all cann ability to coach, not Cohen leaving a good team. If cann loses this season though, it is all Cohen fault. I think cann is a terrific coach and a great hire, but the disrespect for Cohen is ridiculous. Cohen won the sec at freaking Kentucky and here, made multiple SRs, and had us playing for a natty, Cohen should not be crapped on here as much as he is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post

Cohen's recruiting is already in question- our upperclass talent is not good

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I find it funny that last year cann won it was all cann ability to coach, not Cohen leaving a good team. If cann loses this season though, it is all Cohen fault.
    Part of that is because with baseball- this is still Cohen's team. Cann got to sign a few recruits last Spring- but this team and its talent is on John Cohen

Banned
    vCash
    I find it funny that last year cann won it was all cann ability to coach, not Cohen leaving a good team. If cann loses this season though, it is all Cohen fault. I think cann is a terrific coach and a great hire, but the disrespect for Cohen is ridiculous. Cohen won the sec at freaking Kentucky and here, made multiple SRs, and had us playing for a natty, Cohen should not be crapped on here as much as he is
    He's the athletic director and he's doing a great job. Cann is getting the Q treatment right now. The negative is getting deflected onto Cohen. We still suck 2-3 years from now and Cann will be getting no more Q treatment. I'm not giving Cann the Q treatment. Seems to me as I stated early Cann swung for the fences with this first class and he should have been filling it with dirtbags and jucos to fill all the gaps but maybe his way will result in a better team 3 years from now than my way would.
    Last edited by Dawg61; 02-18-2018 at 07:25 PM.

vCash
    He snapped

vCash
    There is truth in some of all of this. Cann should get a lot of credit for last year. I think Cohen leads last year's team to a losing record just being honest. Cohen left him a legit ace, a SEC triple crown winner, and Mangum. There were definitely some holes too- a mostly injured pitching staff and some marginal contributors plus a lot of off the field issues.

As far as if Cann loses this year- Some of the blame HAS TO go to Cohen. Just like during Cohen's first two years some of the blame went to Polk. Our recruiting model was better than it was under Polk's but it also relied WAY too much on JUCO's. MSU should not have half or almost of an entire baseball class of JUCO's. It was too much feast or famine. Kruger and Lowe worked out great and we won the SEC. The 2015 guys- not so much. Our program has too many resources to have to rely on that like USM, La Tech, and Kentucky have to.

Disrespect for Cohen is ridiculous- Agree, but some of it's trolling too. I'd still rather have a replay of the entire Cohen years with the three losing seasons and the highs of the CWS, the SEC Championship, the SR's, and the SEC Tournament Championship than I would the entire Polk II era. Cohen at the very worst put us back on the map- and put us in position to hire someone like Cannizaro who can take it to the next level. While updating the facilities.

As I have said before- we're in a transition period right now. And shit like this weekend is going to happen sometimes during periods like that. I just hope it doesn't fester like some other seasons we've had while we're getting things in order. Anyway, because of all of that Cann gets a pass from me on this year and got one from me last year although he didn't need a pass last year.

vCash
    I don't have the dispise for cohen that some do here. However, the talent that's on the field is his. All of it except tanner Allen and the two transfers. And the two tranfers were because of what was here. Class and positional balance is so important in baseball. With all that said, Cohen led us to the national championship series, he isn't the idiot some here portray. He won the sec at two schools, he's a good coach. Period.
    Last edited by Homedawg; 02-18-2018 at 07:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I don't have the dispose for cohen that some do here. However, the talent that's on the field is his. All of it except tanner Allen and the two transfers. And the two tranfers were because of what was here. Class and positional balance is so important in baseball. With all that said, Cohen led us to the national championship series, he isn't the idiot some here portray. He won the sec at two schools, he's a good coach. Period.
    Agree completely.

Banned
    vCash
    Can't blame the lack of talent on the field on Cohen when he didn't get all of last year to fill his gaps. He would of patched/stopped gap it better than Cann did because he's a veteran coach that knows his team better. That's not a knock on Cann but to think Cohen isn't a better coach than Cann right this second is foolish and doesn't speak highly of what you think about Cohen. Cohen is a very good baseball coach period.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Can't blame the lack of talent on the field on Cohen when he didn't get all of last year to fill his gaps. He would of patched/stopped gap it better than Cann did because he's a veteran coach that knows his team better. That's not a knock on Cann but to think Cohen isn't a better coach than Cann right this second is foolish and doesn't speak highly of what you think about Cohen. Cohen is a very good baseball coach period.
    Agree w part about him being a good coach. The part about the talent couldn't be fixed. Cohen was the one who put the class together and had promises made about scholarships, percentages etc. cann honored them. Then added Allen and two post grad guys. Cohen was in the process of changing philosophies as it was. We were going after more high profile guys and signing more players period. That was more of nick's idea but Cohen went w it. No it's the way to go. But that slowed the Jc parade and we lost all the top Jc talent we signed for the most part.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Don’t be shocked as sec play rolls around we aren’t younger and younger on the field. These older guys who aren’t producing better make sure they are doing things in a positive manner everywhere else. Or else they will find themselves as role players and bench sitters. Looking at Belmont, Skelton, Macnamee, Vansau, Stovall and to some extent Mangum. At some point Cann will make a decision to upset the apple cart and say **** it I’m playing younger guys.

vCash
    Stovall will be fine. Not worried about him long term.