Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: USM GAME 2 - GAME THREAD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    So Pilk showed 0 improvement in his 2 weakest areas (keeping ABs short and going above 80 pitches before he loses it), and gives up a bunch of runs. We bring in possible Sunday/midweek starter Keegan James, who got hit hard. Then we bring in a counted on JuCo newcommer Leibelt that we're supposedly going to rely on, and he can't throw a strike. Hatcher is used to save the pen. Saturday starter Ethan "will be really good" Small gets hit hard, gives up walks, and even when he settles in he wasn't dominant. He gets replaced by McQuary, who was supposed to be one of the best middle relievers on the team, and he craps the bed with control issues.

Yeah, 0/4 on the unknowns (all of whom we were told would be good), and the one proven guy didn't look improved. And as I type this we go down in order -again- to a team with significantly below SEC average pitching
    And yet when I said this team was a bad match up for us starting the season, some people balked at that notion. People need to temper their aspirations for this team. We aren't terrible, but those that were dreaming of sweeping or winning this series was fool's gold. We are still breaking in too many pieces.

vCash
    The one and only positive is Hatcher to this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post
    And yet when I said this team was a bad match up for us starting the season, some people balked at that notion
    Can I ask what you mean by that? We all knew they can hit, but even then they aren't THIS good. We know we would struggle to hit, but their staff is nowhere near this good. Our staff was supposed to be really good.

What do you mean by "bad match up?" Is our staff supposed to give up 7+ runs to every single good hitting team? Is our O supposed to put up 2 runs on a bad pitching team? How would we be more likely to win if we were playing a more balanced team, or a team with bad hitting and a good staff? Will we win games with even less than 2 runs over 2 games? Of course not.

"Bad match up" doesn't really hold for Baseball like it does the other major 2. And the problems we are seeing are problems that will be exploited by every team, unless we play a hel of a lot better in both areas

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post
    And yet when I said this team was a bad match up for us starting the season, some people balked at that notion. People need to temper their aspirations for this team. We aren't terrible, but those that were dreaming of sweeping or winning this series was fool's gold. We are still breaking in too many pieces.
    Listen to this guy. This team isn?t used to coming out of the gate against NCAA tournament, potential Super regional teams. Relax. Long season and baseball is a funny game.

One thing I will say after this series. It shows our guys what we really need to work on and improve upon. We should be able to use this series as motivation for remainder of season and fuel improvement. USM is no slouch team or program, the ones we typically open up with. Hopefully they rebound and grow up quickly.

vCash
    Has anybody noticed that were aren't really recruiting coast to coast in baseball? This is the one and only major sport where we can do that, and we aren't doing it. Can anyone explain that? I would rather mix in some south Florida, Rican, and Cali kids. It would make us better!

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    Well, what's the word boys? We gonna have a big rally here or what?
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    Well, what's the word boys? We gonna have a big rally here or what?
    Lol

vCash
    Atta boy allen

vCash
    Who did we get the third run. I stepped out

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    Who did we get the third run. I stepped out
    MDHS stepped in and gave us a welfare run. We are clearly an underadvantaged team in this series

vCash
    Well crap

vCash
    Triple and then sac fly.

vCash
    Final 7-4.

We suck ***...kinda

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    MDHS stepped in and gave us a welfare run. We are clearly an underadvantaged team in this series
    Bottom line is coming into the season there are really only 2 high level proven players on the team. That being Pilk and Mangum. And Pilk didn't really have a good outing yesterday but when you don't score it probably would not have mattered. Price and Self are good pitchers but one of those is lost and the other is being brought back slowly. We have talent but its mostly all unproven so who knows if and when it comes around this season. This is probably not our best team to start out on the road with against a Top 25 team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    Listen to this guy. This team isn't used to coming out of the gate against NCAA tournament, potential Super regional teams. Relax.

And USM is? It's not a good excuse if it applies evenly to both teams. I'ts like saying you should buy a new Maxima because the new Accord costs a lot. They both are similarly priced

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Reynolds with another multi-hit game. Todd right... luke sucks something serious
    **** you and **** his sorry ass too. I'm glad he figured things out as a 24 year old.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    **** you and **** his sorry ass too. I'm glad he figured things out as a 24 year old.
    I'd take about 15 24 years olds for this team if they can hit.

vCash
    Nobody is saying he didn't improve since we kicked him out, but to say the previous year's leading hitter (who finished the year 20 of 40, mind you), isn't one of the best 35 players you have is insane. We kept plural guys that never hit within .050 points of him, and never had as high of a ceiling either. Why not keep a proven hitter an extra year? Hell I'd rather have a + hitting infielder to sub in late if we're down, than a + running pinch runner that can't do anything else.

It doesn't matter what he did or didn't "figure out" since we kicked him out- he batted over .300 the year before, so had already proven he was worth keeping even if he had flaws. Just admit Cohen ****ed up- it seems like you always pump up everything related to the program and refuse to admit our flaws

vCash
    I’m going to look at the bright side here, if we had played Holy Cross or Sacred Heart and destroyed them we would not know much about this team and we would be delusionally confident

This weekend should scared this team straight and make them focus harder on the improvement process before Vanderbilt strolls into Starkville. Every starter should be feeling heat and all the kids that didn’t start should feel like there is still a job to win and feel inspired by Hatcher.

This is like Florida Atlantic in 2016. After those games, we thought the season was over. Baseball is a marathon where talent and depth wins in the end. We might be back in Hattiesburg in a regional, this is great experience for our youngish team.

vCash
    Come on, Easy on the personal attacks on 7 and Reynolds. Besides unwarranted, That?s how you know you have lost the argument. It is ok to admit Cohen kept the wrong guy.
    Last edited by confucius say; 02-17-2018 at 05:27 PM.