Thread: No melting today for baseball fans...

Banned
    vCash

No melting today for baseball fans...

keep that in mind. The precedent was set yesterday. Baseball is baseball and even after we get our shit pushed in by USM today you can not melt. Ok. Basketball game is at 7:30. Save all melts till tonight we want to be as melty as possible. Don't blow your wad early on a team that can't hit shit. Not worth it.

vCash
    I hope we have no melts tonight. Maybe we stomp OM by 60.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    I don?t understand the melt over one baseball game against a damn good team, on the road, on opening day.

If there?s anything one should take away from baseball is teams fall flat on their faces out of the gate all the damn time and end up having great seasons. In the bigs teams can come out flat and win the Workd Series. College is same and teams can make Omaha. Baseball is a long season and it sometimes takes a team a few games to get back used to game speed against guys they don?t see every day.

Our hitters know then tendencies of our pitchers so they don?t have to think as much before season starts. That?s the biggest adjustment a team will make and a reason why pitchers are almost always ahead of hitters to start a season.

The hitters will change their mindsets and start having to think every AB now. Not something most players can just turn on and off. If the offensive woes continue past a couple weeks, then there some concern may creep in to my mind. Until Cann proves me wrong, I believe he will have these guys hitting well by March. Yes that?s a long wait for some, but it?s baseball and some teams take longer than others. That?s why you like playing big the cupcakes early in season. Their pitchers stuff isn?t great but the hitters still have to start thinking differently. Against a guy of last nights caliber, it?s more guessing and hoping you guess right based on scouting report. It?s didficult to adjust your swing mid pitch flight to make contact. Against a JSU guy with average stuff, good hitters can adjust mid pitch and make contact.

Don?t melt unless we are sitting in Houston without any offensive production. We come out flat in that tourney and I?ll be concerned.

vCash
    good luck with that.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WeWonItAll(Most); 02-17-2018 at 03:03 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    If we lose tomorrow I might melt

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5049 View Post
    If we lose tomorrow I might melt
    You'll be melting tomorrow and most of this road trip.

vCash
    No melt here, Baseball is a marathon and we have young players and TJs to bring along

Today. Ethan Small made his first ever college start, coming of TJ, had two bad innings but recovered, and he still has less than 18 innings of college experience

Better days ahead
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 02-18-2018 at 12:14 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    No melt here, Baseball is a marathon and we have young players and TJs to bring along

Today. Ethan Small made his first ever college start, coming of TJ, had two bad innings but recovered, and he still has less than 18 innings of college experience

Better days ahead
    Once Small gets his confidence in his arm 100% back he's going to be lights out.

vCash
    That?s the biggest adjustment a team will make and a reason why pitchers are almost always ahead of hitters to start a season. RougeDawg

Our pitchers were nowhere near ahead of USM. USM blasted every arm we put out there, when we threw strikes. Now USM?s pitchers were way ahead of our bats, made some guys look silly. Sad part is NOBODY including Pilk looked like they could even pretend to be an SEC pitcher. Our guys better get tough in a hurry, or they will have a really big hole to dig out of. I watched every pitch of the first two games and usm is by far the better team, hands down and its not close. All of our pitchers throw too many balls, not enough strikes. I don?t know if we can?t throw strikes or we are coached to miss, but we won?t have many starters go deep into games unless we can start throwing strikes. When we do throw strikes we groove them belt high down the middle. We either need new guys who aren?t afraid to challenge hitters, or a new pitching coach with a new philosophy. The strikes we threw didn?t miss many usm bats. These guys on the mound looked uncomfortable and scared. Pitching will have to improve quickly or we will be in a pretty deep hole.

I agree it?s a long season and we still could improve, but we are way behind right now. Our team didn?t look like a ranked SEC team in either game, we looked like an average FCS school. It was really bad in person.

Our offense was not much better, not a lot of solid contact in the first 2 games. Here?s hoping we can turn it around, got a really, really long way to go.

One thing is for sure, we really hurt USM’s feelings in last years regional. They were ready to play and you would have thought they won the World Series. Their fans were wound up and were really giving State hell. They can say what they want, but talk about little man syndrome. You could see it in their eyes. Even heard a comment that if they had all the SEC money we did they would beat us in everything. And we set another attendance record for them, less than 6000, but the 7th biggest crowd in USM history. Funny thing is there were lots of empty seats for both games.
    Last edited by Red Sox Dawg; 02-18-2018 at 10:16 AM.

vCash
    Hatcher will come down a bit from the high level he is on now. Tanner Allen will get better and better. Mangum needs to be the leader of this team. We miss Gridley and Cody Brown terribly right now. On the mound, maybe Tristan Barlow needs a bigger role.

vCash
    delete
    Last edited by lastmajordog; 02-18-2018 at 12:22 PM.