Thread: Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: Fish Friday Lent Edition

vCash

Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: Fish Friday Lent Edition

As the title states, it?s friday and it?s Lent so I had fish for lunch and dinner. Think we?re goinv out tomorrow. Last thing, beat Ole Miss.

vCash
    Shot some specklebellies last weekend in SWLA, so made some speck tacos tonight and drinking a Mighty Miss pale ale.

vCash
    Well, I?m a terrible Catholic. It was 80 here today, the azaleas are in bloom, I had the day off to make up for having to go to some training tomorrow and I took the top off my Jeep to run errands, and I wanted steak. So, I?ll confess my sins and enjoy my Ny strip, grilled squash and zucchini, and a grilled stuffed portobello mushroom cap.

vCash
    Both those plates look great. I ended up making reservations at Char for tomorrow.

vCash
    Ending the night with a gifted Pinot Noir. It’s a cheap Sicilian bottle called Kris but it’s pretty decent

vCash
    Me and little man drove up to Hburg to watch that awful baseball game. I had one thawed speck breast left, so I stuffed it with jalape?os & CC and wrapped with bacon. He requested a hot dog - easy enough. Just made a margarita and hoping the hoops game goes better.

vCash
    Char was pretty awesome. We got a mozzarella tomato tower and crab cakes for apps. I got stuffed pecan crusted blackfish and she got filet and scallops. Cheesecake ridin home for later. Had some Pinot Grigio with dinner and I’ll nightcap with another glass of vino

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    stuffed pecan crusted blackfish ]
    Damn...

vCash
    No alcohol for Lent is tough. We had a pig in the ground Saturday at our camp to go along with the annual squirrel hunt competition. Even though the rain and the cold kept the tree rats from moving, the hog was primo after 18 hours in the ground.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Howboutdemdogs View Post
    No alcohol for Lent is tough. We had a pig in the ground Saturday at our camp to go along with the annual squirrel hunt competition. Even though the rain and the cold kept the tree rats from moving, the hog was primo after 18 hours in the ground.
    For me it’s no beer or liquor. Who am I to limit Jesus’s first miracle?

vCash
    Tonight I'm going to do some Latin fusion.

I'm gonna make arepas for the first time, which are basically Venezuelan corn cakes. And I'm going to stuff them with mashed black beans and Cuban style mojo pork (topped with queso fresco). I'm also going to make a salsa verde with roasted tomatillos and onions, avacado, garlic, and cilantro that will essentially act as a dipping sauce. Sides will be boiled yucca and roasted plantains. I'll post pictures later.

Today I'm drinking Tecate with the top of the can rubbed with lime and doused in margarita salt. Delish.

vCash
    Picked up a couple lbs of shrimp today and I?m not even sure what region would be open now, but they looked good. Jai Alai while smelling the pro boil.

vCash
    I went with no fried foods. This will not be easy...

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Blackened rainbow trout for me and the wife, brown-sugar glazed smoked Coho salmon for the kids, and the Food Lab's scratch-made green bean casserole, complete with homemade mushroom cream soup, fresh green beans, and thin-sliced, fried shallots. (And my wife led the charge on the casserole, too, so I got to avoid most the extensive prep work this time around. Huzzah!) It was outstanding.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    I went with no fried foods. This will not be easy...
    Second year in a row I?ve done no fried of fast foods and no sweet tea. I already don?t drink cokes, so it?s a nightmare. I?m not a big guy and lost 15 pounds last year. I didn?t eat crazy healthy or anything either. And I ate ice cream every night. It?s like I was replacing ice cream with everything else I gave up