Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Opening Day - Choke those Dirty Buzzards edition - MSU at USM

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    At least this did not happen at the new DNF on opening day

- Luke Reynolds proved MSU was wrong to cut him for any baseball reason
    - I hope James and Leibelt pitching today was because we knew Sandlin dialing a shutout, not because they are our top 2 bullpen arms
    - We looked like 2015 today
    1. No. Unless you think we should have cut Nate Lowe, Gavin Collins, Rooker, Cody Brown, or Reid Humphreys. Not sure why our fans don't get this. The guy gets hot for 2-3 weeks on a shitty team and all of a sudden he's Rod Carew. He's going to look awesome this weekend against us and then not do shit the rest of his baseball career. I better not hear about how our team lacks toughness this year from anyone that advocates bringing back a guy back that didn't work hard enough to stay on the team because I will throw that shit back in their face.
    2. They aren't. Blake Smith and Self are. I would say Leibelt is among the better ones- but we left him out there to rot today.
    3. Agree here. I think Cann has his work cut out for him. He's already suspended two guys in McQuary and Zane Stephens. Lots of rumors about drug problems- and yeah, I consider weed a drug since we aren't Colorado State or Alaska State. On top of that- lots of freshmen in the field and two-three average former JUCO players. Stovall and LA look like four year guys. And Mangum still swings at everything- I'd bet he would find a way to get two strikes on himself on pitches out of the zone if he went to the plate without a bat. And much like last year Pilkington got his pitch count up. Our most talented players in general are our freshmen- and Jordan Anderson needs to be in the lineup over someone. And that's usually not a good thing. Obviously it's too early to panic- but this is the kind of team that things could get out of hand with if Cann doesn't get them to straighten up. He did it last year- so at least Cann has the ability to do it. We'll see if our guys hit better now that they have used their ace up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    1. No. Unless you think we should have cut Nate Lowe, Gavin Collins, Rooker, Cody Brown, or Reid Humphreys. Not sure why our fans don't get this. The guy gets hot for 2-3 weeks on a shitty team and all of a sudden he's Rod Carew. He's going to look awesome this weekend against us and then not do shit the rest of his baseball career. I better not hear about how our team lacks toughness this year from anyone that advocates bringing back a guy back that didn't work hard enough to stay on the team because I will throw that shit back in their face.
    2. They aren't. Blake Smith and Self are. I would say Leibelt is among the better ones- but we left him out there to rot today.
    3. Agree here. I think Cann has his work cut out for him. He's already suspended two guys in McQuary and Zane Stephens. Lots of rumors about drug problems- and yeah, I consider weed a drug since we aren't Colorado State or Alaska State. On top of that- lots of freshmen in the field and two-three average former JUCO players. Stovall and LA look like four year guys. And Mangum still swings at everything- I'd bet he would find a way to get two strikes on himself on pitches out of the zone if he went to the plate without a bat. And much like last year Pilkington got his pitch count up. Our most talented players in general are our freshmen- and Jordan Anderson needs to be in the lineup over someone. And that's usually not a good thing. Obviously it's too early to panic- but this is the kind of team that things could get out of hand with if Cann doesn't get them to straighten up. He did it last year- so at least Cann has the ability to do it. We'll see if our guys hit better now that they have used their ace up.
    1. Keep digging that hole. Everybody on here knows keeping Michael smith and his .120 avg over Reynolds and his left handed bat was stupid. It was stupid then and it was stupid in hindsight. Nobody cares if he struggled in the fall. He raked against sec pitching and he will hit at least .320 this year. And Cohen said himself Reynolds was a good kid, a hard worker, and he wished him the best. So stop with the notion that he just would not work and had an entitled attitude.

vCash
    Just stop w the Reynolds stuff. He's not here. And he wouldn't be here now had we kept him, he would have graduated by now. So quit it. Just stupid. We lost carry on

vCash
    We lost 11-0? Glad I'm not a baseball fan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    1. Keep digging that hole. Everybody on here knows keeping Michael smith and his .120 avg over Reynolds and his left handed bat was stupid. It was stupid then and it was stupid in hindsight. Nobody cares if he struggled in the fall. He raked against sec pitching and he will hit at least .320 this year. And Cohen said himself Reynolds was a good kid, a hard worker, and he wished him the best. So stop with the notion that he just would not work and had an entitled attitude.
    Really? So, we were supposed to cut the guy that was performing better and did what he was supposed to because the other guy is a good guy and was hot for a month? The guy that nearly slugged as much as Reynolds did in 2015 despite hitting .214 who could play defense and steal bases? Because anyone that is saying we should have kept Luke Reynolds- that's what you're saying. But it's cool- I know how MSU baseball fans are.

If he's that good, why is he not at another SEC school right now? At the very, very worst he could be at Alabama right now.

I'm telling you and the board based on how he performed in the fall of that year why he didn't make the team. It was very obvious at that time two years ago that his defense had not improved and that he may have also regressed as a hitter. I'm 100% sure that Cohen told him at the end of the year what he needed to work on and he simply did not do it. Now, did he learn a lesson and improve after that? Maybe so. Probably so. Based on the team we had and the roster limits- he was player 36. And it was because he didn't improve his game enough. If you think that Cohen is publically going to come out and criticize a player that he cut- you're crazy. If he's such a hard worker, why didn't he work on his game in the offseason and come back last year instead of immediately running to USM?

And I guarantee you that had we just let him stay on and he continued to struggle there would have been people wondering why we kept him on the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Just stop w the Reynolds stuff. He's not here. And he wouldn't be here now had we kept him, he would have graduated by now. So quit it. Just stupid. We lost carry on
    I agree it has no bearing on this season or todays game. Does not mean that stating the idea that it was a good decision to keep Michael smith over him should not be called out as ridiculous.

As for this team, we will have to be dominant on the mound to be good. There is a reason Cann has started both speeches I?ve heard by discussing that our next 3 recruiting classes are all ranked top 2. That?s code for, patience, the talent is coming.

vCash
    I agree it has no bearing on this season or todays game. Does not mean that stating the idea that it was a good decision to keep Michael smith over him should not be called out as ridiculous.

As for this team, we will have to be dominant on the mound to be good. There is a reason Cann has started both speeches I?ve heard by discussing that our next 3 recruiting classes are all ranked top 2. That?s code for, patience, the talent is coming.
    Yes, because keeping a player who can contribute more to the team over one who only has a higher batting average is ridiculous.

vCash
    Really? So, we were supposed to cut the guy that was performing better and did what he was supposed to because the other guy is a good guy and was hot for a month? The guy that nearly slugged as much as Reynolds did in 2015 despite hitting .214 who could play defense and steal bases? Because anyone that is saying we should have kept Luke Reynolds- that's what you're saying. But it's cool- I know how MSU baseball fans are.

If he's that good, why is he not at another SEC school right now? At the very, very worst he could be at Alabama right now.

I'm telling you and the board based on how he performed in the fall of that year why he didn't make the team. It was very obvious at that time two years ago that his defense had not improved and that he may have also regressed as a hitter. I'm 100% sure that Cohen told him at the end of the year what he needed to work on and he simply did not do it. Now, did he learn a lesson and improve after that? Maybe so. Probably so. Based on the team we had and the roster limits- he was player 36. And it was because he didn't improve his game enough. If you think that Cohen is publically going to come out and criticize a player that he cut- you're crazy. If he's such a hard worker, why didn't he work on his game in the offseason and come back last year instead of immediately running to USM?

And I guarantee you that had we just let him stay on and he continued to struggle there would have been people wondering why we kept him on the team.
    1. To answer your first question, yes, You keep the guy who slugged more and hit .100 points more the season prior. That?s an easy decision.

2. No, I don?t think Cohen would come out publically and criticize him. But he would not, unprovoked, speak glowingly about the kid unless it were true. He brought it up when he did not have to.

3. Bc usm is a top 25 program and Bama is not.

4. He went to usm bc they told him he had a roster spot and we would not tell him the same.

5. Goodnight. Hail state.

vCash
    Yes, because keeping a player who can contribute more to the team over one who only has a higher batting average is ridiculous.
    But Smith did not contribute to the team. Even if you think he possibly could have done so it would have been as a pinch runner 2-3 meaningful times all year. He was not even used as a + defensive replacement late in games. Give me the guy who hits over one hundred points higher every time.

When nobody on here agrees with you, you likely are wrong.

vCash

I won't argue with patience. Haven't seen me say this is going to be a great team. Starting 3 true fr is a recipe for disaster. But with all that said, One game doesn't make it that way. We will scrap and claw and be a good club and be as good as our pitching takes us
    Last edited by Homedawg; 02-16-2018 at 11:57 PM.

vCash
    WTF. Not just calling you out Todd but since bascially the end of last year we've all been excited, hell look at the predictions thread of the season that was on the board the other day.

Now all of a sudden we're a bunch of pot smoking losers that might go full 2015???

vCash
    1. To answer your first question, yes, You keep the guy who slugged more and hit .100 points more the season prior. That?s an easy decision.

2. No, I don?t think Cohen would come out publically and criticize him. But he would not, unprovoked, speak glowingly about the kid unless it were true. He brought it up when he did not have to.

3. Bc usm is a top 25 program and Bama is not.

4. He went to usm bc they told him he had a roster spot and we would not tell him the same.

5. Goodnight. Hail state.
    1. Luke Reynolds SLG% in 2015- .370 Michael Smith SLG% in 2015 .333 Smith had only four less extra base hits in about 75 less PA's. Reynolds was hitting .154 going into the Arkansas series that year and basically got white hot against LSU and Ole Miss and that's why his average is inflated- due to a small sample size. All our fans see is the bottom line and think he is some hitting machine.

2. I'm sure Cohen has gotten some e-mails about it from people like you though. It's pretty unlikely that he would just bring it up- which he hasn't done with the first baseman at Auburn Dylan Ingram who has performed much better than Reynolds.

3. If you are a baseball player you take the SEC team every time. Alabama currently has six players in MLB. USM has produced seven MLB players ALL TIME.

4. But he's not entitled and is obviously a hard worker.**

5. Good night.

vCash
    But Smith did not contribute to the team. Even if you think he possibly could have done so it would have been as a pinch runner 2-3 meaningful times all year. He was not even used as a + defensive replacement late in games. Give me the guy who hits over one hundred points higher every time.

When nobody on here agrees with you, you likely are wrong.
    Obviously you forgot the SR when we took out Rooker and put Smith in for his defense. And he played in 39 games with only 14 AB's while scoring 11 runs. I'd say we used him a decent amount that year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    WTF. Not just calling you out Todd but since bascially the end of last year we've all been excited, hell look at the predictions thread of the season that was on the board the other day.

Now all of a sudden we're a bunch of pot smoking losers that might go full 2015???
    I also said it was too early to panic. I kind of want to see how the entire weekend goes before I fully comment on it- but my point is it "could get like that"- that doesn't mean I think it will. Based on last year. Last year the same thing could have happened as well- heck I remember MSU web site owners talking about how bad last year could be this time of the year.

Just that we do have some issues and things that Cann is going to have to clean up that were here before he came on board. The good news is we have better pitching right now than we did in 2015. Or last year. Sure, the three guys had a rough time today but Pilkington was fine and got his pitch count up and Leibelt was out there to rot to save our arms for the other two games. I don't think that's indicative of what this staff is going to be by the end of the year.

As far as today and really the whole weekend- you have to factor in the fact that we were playing a team that has wanted to beat us since we eliminated them last year. They have something to prove to us and will be really focused. We started three freshmen and a JUCO catcher in their first college action today- and most of them made some mistakes. I think the bottom line is we just didn't match their intensity. We're going to have to match that intensity the next two days to win the series- we'll see if it happens.

Personally- I think our program has suffered from baseball players resting on the laurels of past teams at times. I think that's part of what happened in 2015 and going back to when we went to the National Finals in Omaha. It has certainly cycled out at times- we got our asses embarrassed in 2015 which spurned us on to the SEC Championship in 2016 but then we start off really slow last year until Cann suspends a couple of guys. Now we go to a SR and we have a guy suspended the entire year for failing a drug test, another guy suspended for a DUI, and another guy suspended because he couldn't get to practice on time. So, that's why I'm saying I don't think the focus is exactly where it needs to be- at least not yet. And if we're going to avoid slow starts and having seasons like 2015 we need to recruit players that are focused on winning and not OK being considered awesome around Starkville because they played on the same team as Brent Rooker or Hunter Renfroe.

Now, if all of that goes on long enough- then yeah it could be like 2015. But to be honest by the same token- it also could end up like last year too if we deal with it soon enough like Cann did last year. And I think that was the main difference between 2015 and 2017 is Cohen didn't handle it soon enough or didn't handle it right.

And my point about talking about how many freshmen and JUCO guys and all of that- we have got to get our recruiting more balanced so that we don't have a team where we're starting half freshmen and JUCO guys and few juniors. Cann is starting to do that- but it's going to take another year or two to get it where it needs to be. And that's not saying that we can't or won't have success in the meantime. Just that it's going to take Cann a few years to get our program where we really want it.

vCash
    I really don’t understand our fans at all. Do you guys just love to complain about everything? Seriously. It was opening day in a sport that has what 50-60 games? Chill please. I’ll say this though at least it’s gotten you guys off complaining about the men’s basketball team...I’ll take that.

vCash
    Todd, there’s no use explaining yourself to these guys. They would complain regardless of what we did yesterday.

vCash
    In 2016, we lost 10-6 and 4-0 to a Florida Atlantic team at Dudy Noble Field to start the season 1-2. I think that year turned out okay. They also beat Hudson. So I would chill with the sky is falling after one game. Southern Miss is a better team then Florida Atlantic and we are playing them at their place not the Dude. Perspective...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    In 2016, we lost 10-6 and 4-0 to a Florida Atlantic team at Dudy Noble Field to start the season 1-2. I think that year turned out okay. They also beat Hudson. So I would chill with the sky is falling after one game. Southern Miss is a better team then Florida Atlantic and we are playing them at their place not the Dude. Perspective...
    No need to panic, but this club ain?t going to be anywhere close to 2016 offensively. Better pitch it really well.

vCash
    Obviously you forgot the SR when we took out Rooker and put Smith in for his defense. And he played in 39 games with only 14 AB's while scoring 11 runs. I'd say we used him a decent amount that year.
    I remember the SR well. I remember smith having to hit in a key spot. Of course it didn?t end well. Would have loved to have a career .320 hitter there.

vCash
    No need to panic, but this club ain?t going to be anywhere close to 2016 offensively. Better pitch it really well.
    Yep. May need to play some small ball this season.