Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dan was Just on QB & Coach

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Ironically it's easier for MSU to win A championship without Dan Mullen.
    I agree have to agree with this post. After we reached #1 with the Auburn victory (thanks to Dak), he choked on his own ego. His record against top 25 teams is dismal. We had Alabama down in the 4th & he wouldn't go for it with Nick, heck, Matt Luke outcoached him badly last November.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg50 View Post
    I agree have to agree with this post. After we reached #1 with the Auburn victory (thanks to Dak), he choked on his own ego. His record against top 25 teams is dismal. We had Alabama down in the 4th & he wouldn't go for it with Nick, heck, Matt Luke outcoached him badly last November.
    Yeah- I can't think of very many games that we won where it was a top opponent and we won because of a great play call. It's usually we either blew them out and won or we just didn't win. Like LSU 2014- we won but we had a huge lead and it came down to a Hail Mary because Dan decided to put his back ups in with a LOT of time remaining. Thank God Les Miles didn't have a Les Miles moment there. I'll be lying if I didn't say that the possibility of that happening didn't cross my mind when I was sitting in the stands. Maybe the 4th down call against Ole Miss where Bumphis scored a TD but that was kind of a backyard play as much as anything. Still awesome though.

I almost came unglued in the stands after the 2009 LSU game though where Tyson didn't pitch it and we had AD. He made a terrible coaching decision in the St. Petersburg Bowl that could have cost us the game when he had Damien Williams throw the ball instead of running the ball or calling time out so that we could get Nick back in the game. Running the ball and not getting the first down would have at worst kept the clock running. But we throw it, lose the ball on downs and thankfully the Miami of Ohio kicker was terrible.

Banned
    vCash
    Ironically it's easier for MSU to win A championship without Dan Mullen.
    Not a flame, but is this sour grapes? Do you guys really believe this?

Dan was super successful at MSU and did an amazing job. He had State in a few positions with opportunities to do some incredible things. Obviously he never quite pulled it off, but he did a heck of job building a program at MSU and was a legit threat at times.

JoMo may set the world on fire, I honestly don't know, but it looks like many are discounting just how good Dan Mullen was for MSU.

For the record, I personally don't think Mullen is a good fit at UF, and I think he'll be done in 4 years.

Just a Bammer's opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Token Bammer View Post

Dan was super successful at MSU and did an amazing job. He had State in a few positions with opportunities to do some incredible things. Obviously he never quite pulled it off, but he did a heck of job building a program at MSU and was a legit threat at times.

JoMo may set the world on fire, I honestly don't know, but it looks like many are discounting just how good Dan Mullen was for MSU.

For the record, I personally don't think Mullen is a good fit at UF, and I think he'll be done in 4 years.

Just a Bammer's opinion.
    I don't think anyone is saying Dan didn't do a tremendous job building and progressing the program, and aren't greatly appreciative for it. The criticism is that he had some specific flaws that caused us to fall short when we had an opportunity to take another step at multiple points in time over the second half of his tenure. While it may be a little too strong, the optimism for JoMo is that at first glance he appears to have answers for the areas that caused Dan to more or less plateau here.

vCash

Just a Bammer's opinion.
    Yes. What thf said.

Dan was just inflexible.

vCash

Just a Bammer's opinion.
    How do you propose that a coach win a championship when he spends the last month of every good season working on finding a new job? That's the primary reason we lost 3 of the last 4 to OM even though we usually had the better team. The one year we destroyed OM was when we came into the game at 4-7 (2016) and nobody else was interested in Mullen. We may not be able to win a championship with JoMo, we don't know yet, but we sure as heck weren't going to win one with Mullen. His whole focus had become climbing the coaching ladder and getting out of Starkville, not winning a championship of any kind at MSU.
    Last edited by maroonmania; 02-17-2018 at 09:28 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    How do you propose that a coach win a championship when he spends the last month of every good season working on finding a new job? That's the primary reason we lost 3 of the last 4 to OM even though we usually had the better team. The one year we destroyed OM was when we came into the game at 4-7 (2016) and nobody else was interested in Mullen. We may not be able to win a championship with JoMo, we don't know yet, but we sure as heck weren't going to win one with Mullen. His whole focus had become climbing the coaching ladder and getting out of Starkville, not winning a championship of any kind at MSU.
    I think it was that and two other things that held Dan and us back:

1. He did not recruit well enough and was inflexible with his recruiting style. Comparing our Junior Day today to any Junior Day under Dan doesn't even compare. Joe has me thinking that I might have actually possibly underrated our ceiling based on who he is attracting to MSU so far. We may actually be more like 10-15 as opposed to the 15-20 that I thought we were.

2. He was not willing to put the best personnel on the field at times or used players improperly. We're not going to beat Bama ever running Holloway up the middle even with Dak as our QB. We proved that in 2015.

vCash
    I think it was that and two other things that held Dan and us back:

1. He did not recruit well enough and was inflexible with his recruiting style. Comparing our Junior Day today to any Junior Day under Dan doesn't even compare. Joe has me thinking that I might have actually possibly underrated our ceiling based on who he is attracting to MSU so far. We may actually be more like 10-15 as opposed to the 15-20 that I thought we were.

2. He was not willing to put the best personnel on the field at times or used players improperly. We're not going to beat Bama ever running Holloway up the middle even with Dak as our QB. We proved that in 2015.
    Agree on both of those AND I believe we already have a better overall coaching staff that what Mullen had strictly because JoMo was willing to take less money so he could have more money for assistants. That's a much different attitude from Mullen who was pushing the envelope every year for the max salary he could get from us every year. Now granted Joe is taking significantly less than even the current SEC going rate but I think that just shows the type guy he is. He is in this to win and have as good a program as he can, not just to make every dime possible.

Banned
    vCash
    All good points fellas. Thanks for the responses. I see where you're coming from. Here's to hoping you guys take the next the step!

vCash
    All good points fellas. Thanks for the responses. I see where you're coming from. Here's to hoping you guys take the next the step!
    You sure about that? The next step is beating Bama..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Agree on both of those AND I believe we already have a better overall coaching staff that what Mullen had strictly because JoMo was willing to take less money so he could have more money for assistants. That's a much different attitude from Mullen who was pushing the envelope every year for the max salary he could get from us every year. Now granted Joe is taking significantly less than even the current SEC going rate but I think that just shows the type guy he is. He is in this to win and have as good a program as he can, not just to make every dime possible.
    Joe knows more money will come with success and success comes with hiring good coaches and recruiters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Joe knows more money will come with success and success comes with hiring good coaches and recruiters.
    This. You listen to Joe talk and watch the way he carries himself. He exudes confidence. People that have confidence in their abilities know the money will take care of itself.