Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
As long as Mullen has the Country Club he'll never win a championship.
That and I think he deep down inside has a lot of insecurity about himself. You can tell anytime something would happen that wouldn't go right that was questionable like a fake punt call or when the media finally questioned him about Holloway starting. I think that was one big reason why he seemed to like the job searches and people talking about him- it helped validate to him in his mind that he was good.

The other thing is if he keeps playing upperclassmen over underclassmen it will always limit the ceiling of his team. Even at Florida.

But back to my original point- I think he likes the country club in part because they are a bunch of yes men who don't question him. It seemed to me like being on the outside that the one offensive assistant we had that he clashed the most with was Hud. My guess is because Hud probably had some ideas and ways of doing things that were different than Dan and I'm sure some of his ideas as far as play calling worked well- which probably made Dan feel threatened. The fact of the matter is our play calling became a lot more predictable and a lot less creative after Hud left if you look at highlight films of MSU from the 2009-2010 season vs. the rest of the time Dan was here. For example- the wishbone in 2009 on the goal line and shifting from a spread formation into the pro-style I-formation and then snapping the ball quickly. It seemed like we ran more screens and like the screens weren't as elaborate and complicated when Hud was here too. See the 2010 Egg Bowl.

That's one reason why I like having Hud back on staff- yes, he's a great recruiter with a lot of ties in some hostile areas for us- but he's also a pretty creative offensive football coach. That could pair well with Joe assuming Joe doesn't have the same insecurities that Dan did.