Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan was Just on QB & Coach

vCash

Dan was Just on QB & Coach

Say what you want about Hal Mumme & that show, but they get some hellacious interviews. A few days ago Brett Favre called in & today they had Dan on, in what I think may be his first interview with a Mississippi based show since he left.

I didn't catch the entire thing, but he knows he will be booed when Florida comes here & asks everyone to "ring responsibly"

I didn't catch if Bond or Mumme got a good explanation as to why he left. Did anyone hear the entire interview?
    Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 02-16-2018 at 11:42 AM.

vCash
    He had been trying to leave for 3 years. He'd be at Tenn if not for Florida sliding in at the last minute. He believes its easier to win a title at Florida- so he went there. And he is right- it is.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Danny logic- Move to an easier place to win. Keep coaches that make it harder to win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    He had been trying to leave for 3 years. He'd be at Tenn if not for Florida sliding in at the last minute. He believes its easier to win a title at Florida- so he went there. And he is right- it is.
    Also easier to get fired
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    This. All of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mstatefan91 View Post
    Also easier to get fired
    I really don't think that the fear of failure is a factor for coaches at this level. First of all, they are paid so much that they don't have the financial considerations that most of us do. Second, good coaches are generally confident in their abilities and believe that they are going to succeed.

vCash
    Also easier to get fired
    Yup. And regardless of what Don thinks, he ain?t winning a title at Florida

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwolf View Post
    I really don't think that the fear of failure is a factor for coaches at this level. First of all, they are paid so much that they don't have the financial considerations that most of us do. Second, good coaches are generally confident in their abilities and believe that they are going to succeed.
    Some truth in that. When you know a school will still pay you $10 million when they fire you, you've got it made.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    WTF is Bond thinking? He's giving him a platform in MS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Some truth in that. When you know a school will still pay you $10 million when they fire you, you've got it made.
    Yea I'd be like please fire me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Say what you want about Hal Mumme & that show, but they get some hellacious interviews. A few days ago Brett Favre called in & today they had Dan on, in what I think may be his first interview with a Mississippi based show since he left.

I didn't catch the entire thing, but he knows he will be booed when Florida comes here & asks everyone to "ring responsibly"

I didn't catch if Bond or Mumme got a good explanation as to why he left. Did anyone hear the entire interview?
    Yes, you are correct about their interviews. Coach Lou Holtz called in yesterday. He was funny as hell too, telling stories, cracking jokes. Said that’s all he has to look forward to anymore. Told some Spurrier stories. They asked about Skip, how he was doing. His response was, remember Smokey And The Bandit, Buford T. Justice, he is not a product of his loins, when he gets home he gonna smack his momma in the mouth...haha

Very enjoyable show, even with all the name dropping.. especially because they call in...
    You're blind if you can't see improvement.....Freshmens......Strain.....Kick rocks and pound sand......Drag my Yankee ass outta here!......

vCash
    Listen to it every day.

vCash
    Was Jackson from OOB there mumbling?

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Also easier to get fired
    Money is no longer an issue for Mullen. He wants a title and that's a better place to accomplish that. He's not gonna win a title anywhere because he won't recruit well enough, but he thinks it's easier there.

vCash
    Ironically it's easier for MSU to win A championship without Dan Mullen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Money is no longer an issue for Mullen. He wants a title and that's a better place to accomplish that. He's not gonna win a title anywhere because he won't recruit well enough, but he thinks it's easier there.
    As long as Mullen has the Country Club he'll never win a championship.

vCash
    If anyone finds a link.. I want to listen to it.. for some weird reason

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    As long as Mullen has the Country Club he'll never win a championship.
    That and I think he deep down inside has a lot of insecurity about himself. You can tell anytime something would happen that wouldn't go right that was questionable like a fake punt call or when the media finally questioned him about Holloway starting. I think that was one big reason why he seemed to like the job searches and people talking about him- it helped validate to him in his mind that he was good.

The other thing is if he keeps playing upperclassmen over underclassmen it will always limit the ceiling of his team. Even at Florida.

But back to my original point- I think he likes the country club in part because they are a bunch of yes men who don't question him. It seemed to me like being on the outside that the one offensive assistant we had that he clashed the most with was Hud. My guess is because Hud probably had some ideas and ways of doing things that were different than Dan and I'm sure some of his ideas as far as play calling worked well- which probably made Dan feel threatened. The fact of the matter is our play calling became a lot more predictable and a lot less creative after Hud left if you look at highlight films of MSU from the 2009-2010 season vs. the rest of the time Dan was here. For example- the wishbone in 2009 on the goal line and shifting from a spread formation into the pro-style I-formation and then snapping the ball quickly. It seemed like we ran more screens and like the screens weren't as elaborate and complicated when Hud was here too. See the 2010 Egg Bowl.

That's one reason why I like having Hud back on staff- yes, he's a great recruiter with a lot of ties in some hostile areas for us- but he's also a pretty creative offensive football coach. That could pair well with Joe assuming Joe doesn't have the same insecurities that Dan did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think that was one seemed like we ran more screens and like the screens weren't as elaborate and complicated when Hud was here too. See the 2010 Egg Bowl.
    The 2011 Gator Bowl stands out for screens too. I remember a couple of good ones to Vic, then a couple of long ones to Perk, and I thought ?Damn, these two guys are going to be hell on wheels as a combo next year? - then I think Dan never threw a screen to either one again. Ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JoseBrown View Post
    Yes, you are correct about their interviews. Coach Lou Holtz called in yesterday. He was funny as hell too, telling stories, cracking jokes. Said that’s all he has to look forward to anymore. Told some Spurrier stories. They asked about Skip, how he was doing. His response was, remember Smokey And The Bandit, Buford T. Justice, he is not a product of his loins, when he gets home he gonna smack his momma in the mouth...haha

Very enjoyable show, even with all the name dropping.. especially because they call in...
    That wasn't Lou Holtz. It was a friend of JB's impersonating him. I didn't think he was very good at it either.