Thread: Any word on special teams coach candidates?

vCash

Any word on special teams coach candidates?

I did some research and I think these are some guys I would look at if it were me- I'm confident Joe will do as well or better than me but I needed something to do.

1. James Shibest Virginia Tech- knows the SEC having coached at Ole Miss and Arkansas and the Memphis area having coached at Memphis and Arkansas State. Also has a reputation for being a good recruiter.

2. Larry Porter Auburn- He's Auburn's H-Back/TE coach and recruiting coordinator but he has coached special teams before at North Carolina where they did pretty well. He has been the head coach at Memphis so coaching a unit like ST shouldn't be a problem for him. He's from Jackson and knows Memphis well and is considered a great recruiter. I think he would pair up well with Boniol. Has been mostly a RB coach for most of his career.

3. Luke Paschall Arkansas State- Spent a year at Ole Miss as a grad assistant and his unit was among the best in the country in most categories. A younger coach, but would likely be a solid hire. Also has experience coaching WR's so he may be a great fit with Getsy handling some of the OC duties.

4. Wayne Lineburg- Wake Forest- His units were ranked pretty high this year as well and Joe likes coaches from schools where education is a high priority. Has coached TE/WR/RB so he is pretty versatile and could help out in a number of areas.

5. Anthony Blevins- New York Giants assistant ST coach- former MSU grad assistant under Croom who is from Alabama and has worked his way up the NFL ranks. Has coached CB's as well at UAB.

6. Sam Shade- Browns assistant ST coach- Played at Alabama and was the ST coordinator at Samford before going to Georgia State as CB's coach.

vCash
    Might want to add Joe Judge to your list. New England Patriots ST coach. Also a former State player under Croom. Coached at Birmingham-Southern for a year before moving to UAT for 3 years before going to the Patriots.

http://www.patriots.com/team/coaches/roster/joe-judge
    Last edited by jdwhite; 02-15-2018 at 09:21 AM.

vCash
    Brad Peterson or the guy that left TN recently Gillespie

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by civildawg View Post
    It won't be Brad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jdwhite View Post
    Might want to add Joe Judge to your list. New England Patriots ST coach. Also a former State player under Croom. Coached at Birmingham-Southern for a year before moving to UAT for 3 years before going to the Patriots.

uh no...he's gonna be a NFL HC in 3-5 years

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by civildawg View Post
    Special Teams is very important and we need an experienced ST coach, but Gillespie would be another huge help with MS kids. He's a top crooter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    It won't be Brad
    Why not? Is he not qualified to be a ST coach or is it some other reason? Based on everything I have heard about him, he is a really good coach who wants to be on the field and is an asset when it comes to recruiting in MS. So I would hope that he is at least getting legitimate consideration for these type of openings (assuming he's qualified).

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwolf View Post
    Why not? Is he not qualified to be a ST coach or is it some other reason? Based on everything I have heard about him, he is a really good coach who wants to be on the field and is an asset when it comes to recruiting in MS. So I would hope that he is at least getting legitimate consideration for these type of openings (assuming he's qualified).
    His time on the field is coming but he won't be the ST coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jdwhite View Post

Judge is an NFL guy. We can't afford him either, He's getting a big raise. He's integral to Belichick and the Pats plans and he's gonna be an NFL Head Coach in the next 5 years.